Quantcast

Might take some heat for this: Drive-By Truckers?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I have been listening to these guys a bit lately, and I like them alot. Singer reminds me a bit of Tom Petty, but with alot more twang and yeah it's country, but I think it's pretty good. Very "middle-America" sounding songs.
Heard a new song on Sirius the other day called "Righteous Path" which was good, so I downloaded some off itunes.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Dude, the double disc of "Southern Rock Opera" is amazing, especially all the songs about the life and times of Lynard Skynard...."Ronnie and Neil" and "Shut Your Mouth and Get Your Ass On the Plane" are excellent songs.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I have been listening to these guys a bit lately, and I like them alot. Singer reminds me a bit of Tom Petty, but with alot more twang and yeah it's country, but I think it's pretty good. Very "middle-America" sounding songs.
Heard a new song on Sirius the other day called "Righteous Path" which was good, so I downloaded some off itunes.
I don't know who would throw heat over them! they are great! more like "alternative country rock" and you are right very "middle-America" like lynard skynard but not white trash!:twitch:

you may like some of the Jayhawks stuff as well... check out stuff off of "the sound of lies" for a taste!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i wouldn't lump skynyrd in w/ 'white trash', personally.

i've been digging DBT for a while now, but haven't seen 'em live yet. saw jason isbell (ex-DBT) a couple of times, he's solid.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
i think you should go pink phone shopping w/ loco.

jim, DBTs are playing the Paradise in boston. it's definitely on my list.
WTF? "Drivin' My Life Away" is a great song. I dont think your taste in music is so impeccable.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
What, no links???

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Narlus listed Decoration Day as one of his "best songs of the day" or something a while back. Since then I've been a big fan of that album, probably time to pick up another album by them.

No heat, I love that band.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I've got Decoration Day. It's not the sort of thing that I'd generally listen to, but it's a decent album.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
the drive-by truckers are pretty good, haven't listened to them in a little while but i just put them on. i'm also a big fan of lucero, which is similar to the dbt's, just a little "grungier"(can't think of a better word to describe them) sounding.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
i wouldn't lump skynyrd in w/ 'white trash', personally.

i've been digging DBT for a while now, but haven't seen 'em live yet. saw jason isbell (ex-DBT) a couple of times, he's solid.
although "THEY" (the band) may not be WT... their following (or what I consider their following) sure show definite signs of white trashedness in the worst way... I will guarantee that at least 85% of the vehicles in the parking lot of a L.S. show in this area will have a rebel flag on it, and if the car doesn't sport it, the person in said car will have a shirt, hat or suspenders that fly the rebel flag loud and proud! Not to mention that the local L.S. fan population may be the only group to challenge "emo tools" for the title in the "tightest jeans" category!:disgust1: (I don't have problem with L.S. or their music... ) just my observation of a group I would rather not be associated with!

and I agree... Jason Isbell's new album is great!

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Fellas,

There is a new song by these guys called "A ghost to most" that's pretty damned good. Heard it on the sirius and had to download it.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
hey BS, i thought of you a couple of days ago... we were in San Jose del Cabo and there was a flyer for a rock show which had happened the night before...the world-renowned Jack Sonni was in town for a show.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
not talkin' about the fans they attracted...listen to ronnie's lyrics; he's got some brains.
to someone with brains to figure them out maybe! The majority of the general populous of one of their shows has no idea what the lyrics mean, or even what Ronny is sayin... I'm just sayin!