Quantcast

***Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel GMT***

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I picked up some burgers for me and the boys plus some drinks. Picking up on my bike so burgers in the backpack and juggling the lemonade on the handle bar including a lid that flew off and it started raining. I have told them several times before to stand ready and help with the food when I get back on previous occasions. This time again they were still in their rooms doing nothing. I got angry and gave them both a scolding. I know teenage boy brains are not the best material and kind of feel bad about it but was running out of ways to get them to see the light.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
At first glance I read it as some sort of landing craft, then figured it out.
Just thought it was cool since it is essentially a one-man operation, lightweight crane, small but stable work platform, dude can run the crane to fill the barge, run and dump, and move his platform with the split hopper, all by his lonesome without any crews. Here in the States that would be done with two 1500-ton barges, a tug, and a pretty good-sized dredge crane or long boom running at least 2 peeps for the tug, one operator on the tailings barge, and another operator on the dredging barge coming to at least a minimal crew of 4 peeps and lots of overhead.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Just thought it was cool since it is essentially a one-man operation, lightweight crane, small but stable work platform, dude can run the crane to fill the barge, run and dump, and move his platform with the split hopper, all by his lonesome without any crews. Here in the States that would be done with two 1500-ton barges, a tug, and a pretty good-sized dredge crane or long boom running at least 2 peeps for the tug, one operator on the tailings barge, and another operator on the dredging barge coming to at least a minimal crew of 4 peeps and lots of overhead.

I believe Y'urp has a lot of canals that require a lot of canal sized boats.

'Merica filled most of theirs in with toxic waste.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
A guy could make a killing as an owner-operator with that setup in the States without a single commercial contract, just residential docks and waterway dredging. you would be booked for years
When I first moved to Portland after the Navy I had the opportunity to go work on a dredge and I chose tech instead. Those dudes make a lot of money on the Columbia.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
When I first moved to Portland after the Navy I had the opportunity to go work on a dredge and I chose tech instead. Those dudes make a lot of money on the Columbia.
Id park that setup in the panhandle of Florida and Dredge and rebuild docks every year, When I was there this winter in the panhandle they were starting at 2500 bucks a day just for pilings

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
/me slept in after still low grade febrile kid 3 kept me up for a bit in the middle of the night because she needed snuggles for a scary dream. which would have been fine save for the mobile detailing guy's appointment, which is probably off. he isn't texting me back. :D

oh well. not having that done will save me money.
so mobile detailing guy ghosted me after I slept through his time. fair.

I did my own interior detail job on the minivan (ugh, my kids are dirty beasts) and the Busy Forks (easy peasy since only 2k miles old).

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Id park that setup in the panhandle of Florida and Dredge and rebuild docks every year, When I was there this winter in the panhandle they were starting at 2500 bucks a day just for pilings
story time...
I used to live on Canal St. at Kinzie, back in the old country. In that peachy building on the right of this pic. Anyway ...
1717786153740.png

That bridge in the foreground is the Kinzie St. Bridge, the raised one behind it is an old RR bridge that was decommissioned years ago.

See those wooden pilings in the water on the left of Kinzie bridge? to keep idiot boats from ramming the bridge? WELL!

There is a maze of underground tunnels below Chicago (connecting sub-basements of countless high-rises and office buildings) and one day in the early 90s a contractor was on the river to drive new piles, and drove one just a little too close to a tunnel which he probably didn't even know existed. Anyway it formed a tiny crack that didn't leak for almost a whole year.

Until it did.

250 million gallons of the Chicago River emptied into the tunnels and back up into buildings before it could be plugged.

/coolstorybro

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
is this one of those don't look up on urban dictionary things that Watz likes to post about
I guess I could page @mandown and see about making corn casserole with corn that has been processed in the human digestive tract and then feed it to someone in bondage. . .

But no, I am applying 50 gallons/acre of liquid 28% nitrogen. It had 2.9lbs of N per gallon. So roughly 150lbs of Nitrogen.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
story time...
I used to live on Canal St. at Kinzie, back in the old country. In that peachy building on the right of this pic. Anyway ...
View attachment 212965
That bridge in the foreground is the Kinzie St. Bridge, the raised one behind it is an old RR bridge that was decommissioned years ago.

See those wooden pilings in the water on the left of Kinzie bridge? to keep idiot boats from ramming the bridge? WELL!

There is a maze of underground tunnels below Chicago (connecting sub-basements of countless high-rises and office buildings) and one day in the early 90s a contractor was on the river to drive new piles, and drove one just a little too close to a tunnel which he probably didn't even know existed. Anyway it formed a tiny crack that didn't leak for almost a whole year.

Until it did.

250 million gallons of the Chicago River emptied into the tunnels and back up into buildings before it could be plugged.

/coolstorybro
"ooops, my bad" probably didn't go over too well, doing residential docks and waterways would be much more fun

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Watching something and a stunt skydiver is talking about flying through the chunks of his skydiving partner who hit a bridge.

I have to admit that as far as "extreme sports" go this is the extremest.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
story time...
View attachment 212965

Until it did.

/coolstorybro

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
story time...
View attachment 212965

Until it did.

/coolstorybro
That was an entertaining read. Thanks!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I picked up some burgers for me and the boys plus some drinks. Picking up on my bike so burgers in the backpack and juggling the lemonade on the handle bar including a lid that flew off and it started raining. I have told them several times before to stand ready and help with the food when I get back on previous occasions. This time again they were still in their rooms doing nothing. I got angry and gave them both a scolding. I know teenage boy brains are not the best material and kind of feel bad about it but was running out of ways to get them to see the light.
You should have ate their burgers or said a bird grabbed them, while you were juggling the stuff getting back home. :busted:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
A guy could make a killing as an owner-operator with that setup in the States without a single commercial contract, just residential docks and waterway dredging. you would be booked for years

I figured that in Florida there would be plenty of people willing to do that work. Meth heads with a 5 gallon bucket and a garden hose to breath through.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
So yeah,

Did a thing today, it's a boy!

Freshly delivered, fit in the trailer swimmingly

About to flog this thing for the whole week.

IMG_3367.jpeg

IMG_3368.jpeg

IMG_3369.jpeg

Its a 2024 CanAm Maverick R (X)

Fox bypass remote resi shocks, infotainment, backup cam, 5 point retractable harnesses, upgraded racing seats. dont worry, more parts on order

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
so we have five for tomorrow then?!
Negative, different bike, XC race bike today, hasn't ridden her Smash yet this year. Given what she's gone through and with a hundy next weekend, she definitely doesn't want to risk anything.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons