Quantcast

MikeD

wirly

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
San Diego
Orven said:
I heard Loo was spotted protesting his exclusion from the event. He's still not invited.
Not true. Bender invited him to be his personal crash test dummy. Loo's inability to show up and demonstrate what NOT to do is actually what caused Bender's surprising and wholly unanticipated crash.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Mike, Myself and Sanjay all went out to Utah but we only took pictures of ourselves and we basically rode for 4 days...we never even saw the rampage course until it was over....D

wirly

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
San Diego
Awesome! I'm jealous! What trails did you hit up? It looked like the weather held out though it had rained earlier that week; were the trails nice and tacky or boggin' muddy?

I wanted to get out there to do a little riding and watching but had to cancel the trip due to work related problems (like I had to show up).

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Rabie said:
So you should be good through 2005 then?
dude, you're so lucky BB is closed. D would have pass-blocked you with a floating-disc-less single pivot bike down the chutes for that post.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
wirly said:
Awesome! I'm jealous! What trails did you hit up? It looked like the weather held out though it had rained earlier that week; were the trails nice and tacky or boggin' muddy?

I wanted to get out there to do a little riding and watching but had to cancel the trip due to work related problems (like I had to show up).
Wanted to hit Brian Head, but it was snowed in already, so we just did the usuals...one Gooseberry pedal (D and Sanj only had DH bikes; I had my RFX), coupla Grafton runs with Show Me The Money and Mo Money linked in, TONS of shuttles on Ernum...etc. etc. Didn't get to do the Monkey, because our guide went to the Rampage and I forgot how to get there from the parking spot on the mesa, and didn't do Little Creek because the DH bikes were taking a toll on the pedalers.

Trails were peanut-buttery on day one, and only got better and better. By Sunday it was supreme. I'll throw a few pics up soon.

MD

Orven said:
I heard Loo was spotted protesting his exclusion from the event. He's still not invited.

I was undercover!
Bender talked to me about doing that "line" 1st on the tuesday prior but it made my hand hurt just looking at it.

Anyhoo, i just ducked out and drank beer....... :nuts:

I think i may give up on DH for a while and ride strictly 50's on great bicycle dirtjumps.
I already had fun at Alf's place.... :sneaky:

wirly

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
San Diego
Sounds like a good time, Mike! Too bad about not hitting Monkey, that's a great ride! I think it would take me a lot more runs to really get into it though; it's tough to stop thinking too much about the 400' cliff 6" to you right :eek:
I've never done Ernum, what's that like?

Look forward to seein' pics when you get 'em.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Ernum is just a little DH singletrack off the road that heads up the mesa to the Monkey. You can ride the road down from the very top to get to it, and hit a bunch of wallrides on the way-but they were screwed because of the rain, so we just went up to the start of the actual trail for the most part.

It's just a narrow, rutty-and-rocky tail, nothing too techincal; kind of reminded me of Troy Lee in Corona, but with rocks. The lower section is short and smoother, and really kind of a blissful-fast-no-brakes-flowy experience...few drops and jumps along the way. You only need to brake a bit for them so you don't overshoot the landings.

Then again, I stopped the first time I saw one of them, just because the landing isn't visible from the approach. When I saw how small it really was, I tried to hit it...and found that the peanut butter mud was stopping me from clipping in, which in turn led to a nice header off the ledge on the first ride of the first trail of the trip.

Monkey scares the sh1t out of me, frankly, so I wasn't too terribly disappointed to ride it. Then again, the one time I rode it last year, I had 35 lbs of camera gear on my back, so I guess I couldn't enjoy it no matter what.

MD

wirly

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
San Diego
MikeD said:
Then again, I stopped the first time I saw one of them, just because the landing isn't visible from the approach. When I saw how small it really was, I tried to hit it...and found that the peanut butter mud was stopping me from clipping in, which in turn led to a nice header off the ledge on the first ride of the first trail of the trip.

Monkey scares the sh1t out of me, frankly, so I wasn't too terribly disappointed to ride it. Then again, the one time I rode it last year, I had 35 lbs of camera gear on my back, so I guess I couldn't enjoy it no matter what.

MD
LOL your PB-mud header brings back a lot of (retrospectively) funny memories of situations brought on by my SoCal mud riding "skills." Not a confidence building first ride for a biking trip.

Why would 35 lbs of high ceter-of-gravity, unstable, not to mention expensive, camera equipment on your back make for a less enjoyable cliff ride? :rolleyes:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
On the flip side, once I had header'd, Donnie and Derek were sort of relieved..."At least he got THAT out of the way quickly..."

Alas, it was not to be my last.

wirly

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
San Diego
MikeD said:
On the flip side, once I had header'd, Donnie and Derek were sort of relieved..."At least he got THAT out of the way quickly..."

Alas, it was not to be my last.
Haha! I have to ride with you again, I didn't know your reputation for being so consistantly entertaining on the trail.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
See my posts in the Vigor helmet thread in the DH forum...

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i rode thru the desert on a bike with no name.....la laaa laaaa laa la la la :dancing:

don't eat the peyote, it'll steal your spirit if you don't know what you're doin. :)