Quantcast

Milan-San Remo this weekend!

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Who do you think will take it? I think Armstrong has a good shot...200k in there is a what looks like a 5k climb. He could break and time trial to the finish :) Boonen really wants to win so it'll be interesting to see how the different teams try to control the race

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I'd bet on it coming down to a sprint this year. Seems like most of the strong teams have sprinters up as the primary focus- Boonen, Pettacchi, Cavendish, Hushovd, McEwen, Bennati, etc. I don't think Armstrong has too much of a shot, but maybe. The climbs just aren't that big compared to other races. That one at 200k is about 300m of vertical I think and still comes 60 miles from the finish. Then again, you never know. But I think Boonen might be a fairly safe pick.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Boonen is the favorite but damn it's a long hard race and the climbs near the end are always among the deciding factors. Armstrong could pull it off but I don't know if he's got the miles in him to be explosive after 300K. Kind of a bummer that Cancellara got hurt, would love to see him at top form duking it out with Boonen.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Mark Cavendish is talking a lot of smack. I would prefer to see Cancellara win, but we will have to see who is on Poggio (which is barely a decider).

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
The chances of Armstrong getting away on the Poggio are freaking nil. The chance of anyone except an italian or belgian of winning are freaking nill. The only non-horsemeat eater with a the slightest chance is Cavendish, but that portly SOB couldn't light it up a hill that long to save his life...

Terrible Tom and Petacchi are the candy-ass favorites.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I guess the boy has been working on his climbing skills and endurance. I didn't think he'd last. Wonder what happened to Boonen. He wasn't shot out the back at the end or anything, but he wasn't in contention.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
wow! That kid is impressive! Those races are so long and hard that I wouldn't thought he could win on his first attempt.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Damn, if you watch the video, Haussler got quite a jump on everyone- he said he was trying to lead out for Hushovd, but it didn't look like it went so well. Cavendish had to make up some ground there- can't believe how close it was...if the race were a few meter shorter, if Cavendish had waited a half second more to jump across...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I have to read a recap, but Haussler pulled off at the last second. I doubt he was trying to shake Cavendish. I wonder if he just kept his line, would Cavendish have enough to fight past him?