Quantcast

Miles Rockwell BUSTED for growing weed....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
From the Durango Herald:
May 13, 2004

Man busted for allegedly growing pot

Herald Staff Report

A professional downhill mountain biker from Durango was arrested Tuesday on suspicion of maintaining a "very sophisticated" marijuana-growing operation.

Myles Rockwell, 31, was booked into the La Plata County Jail after authorities seized 52 "high quality" sinsemilla plants from his home at 1385 Avenida del Sol in Durango. Rockwell has been released on $10,000 bail.

When contacted at his home Wednesday night, Rockwell had little to say. "Hopefully things turn out OK," he said.

Rockwell has competed in mountain bike races around the world. He won a World Cup downhill championship in 2000 in Spain.

On Tuesday, investigators for the Southwest Drug Task Force, along with uniformed officers from the Durango Police Department and La Plata County Sheriff's Office, executed a search warrant at Rockwell's home.

Inside the home, investigators found a "hydroponic and fully automated indoor marijuana cultivation" operation, according to a news release from the task force. They seized 52 "high quality" sinsemilla plants.

"The seized marijuana was determined to be of extremely high quality," according to the news release. Investigators estimate the street value at more than $200,000.

Investigators credit sheriff's Deputy Jerry Little with discovering the cultivation during a routine contact.

The Task Force is a multi-jurisdictional investigative force comprised of investigators with the Sheriff's Office, Ignacio Police Department and the Colorado Bureau of Investigations.

Wow! $200K worth? :eek: That's a little more than recreational use.....

slcpunk21

BS is not a bitch.
Feb 14, 2003
finally transplanted
Fack.. man I used to look up to this dude.. .figuratively and literally.

Thought he was an awsome guy (from what I saw). Hell I don't care if he smokes the sheit... just if all that is true then we was selling to, and that just aint cool. :(

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Ohh man:(

There has got to be better things for police to do than harrass pot farmers.
Poor Smiles, thats gonna mean some time for sure...
END PROHIBITION

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Originally posted by Zark
Ohh man:(

There has got to be better things for police to do than harrass pot farmers.
Poor Smiles, thats gonna mean some time for sure...
END PROHIBITION
He knew it was illegal. You play the game, you take a chance.

Until it becomes legal, which unfortunately probably won't happen in our lifetimes, it's silly to complain about being busted. Everyone gets busted eventually.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Originally posted by Echo
He knew it was illegal. You play the game, you take a chance.

Until it becomes legal, which unfortunately probably won't happen in our lifetimes, it's silly to complain about being busted. Everyone gets busted eventually.
Move to Canada! ;)

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
200,000 of kind eh... thats :think: 40-50 lbs ounce for ounce. Likely they caught him right before harvest. He probably wasnt harming anyone with his setup, and was probably just selling to his friends. Its always a bummer when they 'take down' good clean growers. They should stick to the nasty mexican dealers and the gangs etc etc... the people that are in it for the money. People that are growing plants like they described, they do it for more than money

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Originally posted by golgiaparatus
200,000 of kind eh... thats :think: 40-50 lbs ounce for ounce. Likely they caught him right before harvest. He probably wasnt harming anyone with his setup, and was probably just selling to his friends. Its always a bummer when they 'take down' good clean growers. They should stick to the nasty mexican dealers and the gangs etc etc... the people that are in it for the money. People that are growing plants like they described, they do it for more than money
40-50lbs:confused:

He must have a shatload of friends.
Something tells me he was getting a little money out of it. You don't risk serious jailtime for social or charitable distribution.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Originally posted by laura
:drool:
I agree, but unless he gets a real good defense attorney, he's goin' to the big house. Anything over 49 plants brings in the option for Federal prosecution and he should have known that. A good automated hydro system, properly spaced and well-lit could yield on average a quarter pound per plant every fiscal quarter if grown from clones. The only way that was exclusively for personal usage is if he only grew one crop every other year...and even still, he be having to put away 2 ounces a week of the diggity dank. Bob Marley didn't smoke THAT much! :eek:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Originally posted by llkoolkeg
I agree, but unless he gets a real good defense attorney, he's goin' to the big house. Anything over 49 plants brings in the option for Federal prosecution and he should have known that. A good automated hydro system, properly spaced and well-lit could yield on average a quarter pound per plant every fiscal quarter if grown from clones. The only way that was exclusively for personal usage is if he only grew one crop every other year...and even still, he be having to put away 2 ounces a week of the diggity dank. Bob Marley didn't smoke THAT much! :eek:
I used to work with a guy who carried around 1/2 ounce in his car or his jacket at all times.

He smoked ALL the time...I think he could have used 50 plants for personal use :p

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Originally posted by shocktower
If you play you will pay` the way to get caught is a questionable huge electric bill :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ,thats how all the green thumbs are caught :eek: :eek: :eek:
Most of them bypass the counter. Thats how I would do it! :devil:

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
:( too bad really.
Should have been a little smarter about it.

Really it could have been 5 real plants and 45 babies. I know people who have been busted for baby plants and they count it the same as the mature.:angry:

D

Dingus McGee

That's why you need off-the-grid power for an indo (as opposed to outdo;) grow ) solar, baby!. Or move to Mendo where you can quasi-legally grow a 25 plant patch or 50ft square as long as you have a red cross next to it visible by the helicopters.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Originally posted by Silver
I used to work with a guy who carried around 1/2 ounce in his car or his jacket at all times.

He smoked ALL the time...I think he could have used 50 plants for personal use :p
Probably wasnt smoking this kind of bud.
an ounce of regular bud can be smoked by one person real easy in a few days, an ounce of the stuff that he was growing would last more like a few weeks.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Hahahhaha.

I hope he gets 15 years if he was selling it. Some poor skateboarder kid isnt going to fire up a fatty tonight cause his connection got busted. Maybe he'll read a book or something instead.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Originally posted by BurlySurly
Maybe he'll read a book or something instead.

HAHAHA yeah right, he'll be hangig around some gas station trying to get somebody to pick him up a 40 or he'll huff some glue.

a book, ha, thats good.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Originally posted by BurlySurly
Hahahhaha.

I hope he gets 15 years if he was selling it. Some poor skateboarder kid isnt going to fire up a fatty tonight cause his connection got busted. Maybe he'll read a book or something instead.
:confused: :(
Yeah he probably hung around out outside the local schools and handed out samples. Then he would bring all the stoned kids back to his appartment and beat them till they gave him money for the shyt they smoked.

on a serious note I know people who grow like this and in no way does it mean they're selling to kids. :angry:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by Lexx D
:confused: :(
Yeah he probably hung around out outside the local schools and handed out samples. Then he would bring all the stoned kids back to his appartment and beat them till they gave him money for the shyt they smoked.

on a serious note I know people who grow like this and in no way does it mean they're selling to kids. :angry:
Well theyre selling it to someone, and that person might sell it to kids. You dont know. I hope he gets the max sentence possible.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
:angry:
And by buying the pot we're supporting terrorism. Like in the commercial?
Whatever, he didn't kill anybody, maybe you feel he should be punished but come on 15 years? It's not crack, he didn't rape or kill. They're isn't even proof that all the plants were mature. Get off your high horse and come to reality. OK he broke the "law", I guess in the eyes of saints like yourself that is only punishable eternal damnation.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Originally posted by Lexx D
:angry:
And by buying the pot we're supporting terrorism. Like in the commercial?
Whatever, he didn't kill anybody, maybe you feel he should be punished but come on 15 years? It's not crack, he didn't rape or kill. They're isn't even proof that all the plants were mature. Get off your high horse and come to reality. OK he broke the "law", I guess in the eyes of saints like yourself that is only punishable eternal damnation.

oh no.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Originally posted by Westy
You don't risk serious jailtime for social or charitable distribution.
In New York state you do. Ever hear of the Rockefeller Laws? If he was busted for 1/10 of what he was busted with he would recieve a mandatory 10 year sentence with no chance of parole! If he is a independent grower he is screwed. If he is a coop grower (plenty of them in CO) then he will be alright as they take care of their own. I agree with you that he was in the bidness though. Sounds like someone dropped a dime on him :angry: .....jdcamb

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Originally posted by jdcamb
In New York state you do. Ever hear of the Rockefeller Laws? If he was busted for 1/10 of what he was busted with he would recieve a mandatory 10 year sentence with no chance of parole! If he is a independent grower he is screwed. If he is a coop grower (plenty of them in CO) then he will be alright as they take care of their own. I agree with you that he was in the bidness though. Sounds like someone dropped a dime on him :angry: .....jdcamb
A lot drug sentencing laws are rediculous, designed to please irate moralists and not to fix the problems that cause or are the result of drug abuse. Not to mention that most illegal drugs were originally made illegal because of racist backlash and sensationalist yellow journalism. It would be interesting to see what modern laws would look like if this was not the case.

Someone did not have to turn him in either. When I lived in northern New York we used to see State Police helicopters flying around with thermal imaging cameras in early summer. They were trying to find unusually warm trailers or shacks that were well off the beaten path with hot power drops that were pulling mucho current.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Originally posted by golgiaparatus
Probably wasnt smoking this kind of bud.
an ounce of regular bud can be smoked by one person real easy in a few days, an ounce of the stuff that he was growing would last more like a few weeks.
It was decent stuff. Not blow your socks off stuff, but not ditchweed either.

Maybe Myles has a lot of friends?

D

Dingus McGee

Poor Smiles.

You can't fix poor parenting with long prison sentences for growing pot. (RE: the weed might end up in a kids lungs)

Mainstream Society needs to accept that this f@#$% life requires elixirs. Weed is far better than booze and the other 'legal' ones.

I don't burn, but I think it should be heavily decriminalized.

We are all beasts.

Status
Not open for further replies.