Million Dollar speeding ticket

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
http://www.montrealgazette.com/driver+faces+speeding+ticket/3401883/story.html

290 km/h driver faces $1M speeding ticket

Agence France-Presse August 15, 2010

Swedish police stand next to a 570-horsepower black Mercedes SLS AMG, which was seized after the driver was allegedly caught driving 290 kilometres an hour on a Swiss motorway.

Swedish police stand next to a 570-horsepower black Mercedes SLS AMG, which was seized after the driver was allegedly caught driving 290 kilometres an hour on a Swiss motorway.
Photograph by: AFP, Getty Images

Police in Switzerland have seized a Swedish motorist's $290,000 Mercedes after he was caught driving 290 kilometres per hour on a Swiss motorway.

Swiss officials were unable to say if it was a record because they do not keep such nationwide data, but it "looks very close to one," federal roads office spokesman Thomas Rohrbach told AFP.

Police said in a statement that the 37-year-old driver had to be stopped by a neighbouring police force after he shot past a permanent speed trap.

His driving licence and 570-horsepower black SLS AMG were seized after he was released from custody, and depending on his income, he could face a fine of up to one million Swiss francs (about $990,000).

According to one report, the man blamed his speeding on a "faulty" speedometer.

A local magistrate ordered police to keep the car as security pending a likely court ruling and an eventual sentence.

Driving more than 25 kilometres an hour over the 120-kilometre-per-hour speed limit on motorways in Switzerland is regarded as a criminal offence, and fines are based on a driver's income.

The Swedish motorist's alleged speed goes off the scale and the penalty is at the judge's discretion, up to a maximum of about $1 million for speeding, Rohrbach said.
© Copyright (c) The Montreal Gazette

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/driver+faces+speeding+ticket/3401883/story.html#ixzz0wmygjwOn

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
in some countries like Finland and Switzerland, speeding tickets are based on how much you are worth.

some guy in Switzerland just had the previous record for $290k for doing only 85mph. he was worth 24mil Francs though

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i figured he'd go the people who can drive route and blame a stuck gas pedal
fixed
An initial review by federal investigators has turned up no evidence of electronic failures in Toyota Motor Corp. vehicles involved in suspected runaway acceleration cases.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration told members of Congress in a briefing today that human error was to blame in more than half of the 58 cases it reviewed -- since drivers failed to apply the brakes.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20100810/AUTO01/8100419/1148/rss25#ixzz0wo8x8Mj8

Last edited:

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
That ticket is weak...I wanna know what this ticket was. This is from wikipedia...

The fastest speeding ticket in the world allegedly occurred in May 2003 in Texas. It was supposedly 242mph in a 75mph zone. The car was a Swedish-built Koenigsegg CCX, which was involved in the San Francisco to Miami Gumball 3000 Rally.

I totally believe that speed too, those cars are incredible! I also got way too stoked when one passed me on the freeway the other day. Gotta love driving out here!

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
heres another one:
That's funny, this ticket happened on the 73 toll road in Aliso Viejo in the heart of rich, white suburban OC, it's a 10 mile toll road that is pretty straight and lots of people do speed runs on it. I had a buddy that claimed he did 188mph on his CBR1000RR coming back from work on this exact stretch of road back when I lived in Aliso.

Last edited: