Quantcast

Mini DH Fox Van 180 vs Lyrik DH Coil 170

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
Been a few years since I've spent much time on the mountains but plan to resurrect my RFX this year. Heard good things about both these forks so I assume I can't go wrong with either. Past experience with Fox 36 forks was that they were great for climbing and big hits but not the best at DH.

With the new Fox FIT RC2 inverted damper and the coil spring the Van 180 is basically a slightly smaller 40, and perfect for a mini DH bike.

If your past experience relates to dmaping performance it may have been with a poorly setup fork because what you describe would not apply the the RC2 damper (with it's adjustments).

Good luck no matter which fork you choose.

JT

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
You really can't go wrong with either fork. That said, I personally like the Lyrik for the ease of servicing it. I also think my lyrik is much more sensitive to small bumps than my Fox was, giving it an overall better feel.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
i've always preferred the feel of fox, and since its what i've used for years servicing can be done with my eyes closed (semi, i sneak peaks) so the 180van gets my vote

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
I can't imagine anything being more sensitive to the small stuff than a Van 180. Maybe a little weight gain over the Lyric, but the 180 is a killer fork. Damping is very adjustable/functional too.

Works better than any DH fork I have had in the past 6 years.

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
Is the verdict out on the Float 180? Call me a weight weenie but that thing is so damn light it would definitely count.