Quantcast

Mini DH

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
This is my little DH bike for '08. I am currently using it for everything but DJ and it rips :thumb: It's the first sub-7" bike I've owned that really feels like a mini DH bike.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
damn, you used the frame i really wanted with all the parts i'm saving up for right now. bastard.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Thanks for the props guys. It's a little under 34lbs as pictured. The Van36 has been awesome so far and compliments the bike perfectly. I can't wait to get out to the mountains for some serious riding and see how it performs.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Very nice. Where do you usually ride around the southeast?
I live in central NC and ride locally, in the NC and VA mtns, Windrock in TN, Snowshoe in WV, Diablo in NJ, and hopefully I'll make it out to Whistler again this summer.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
I live in central NC and ride locally, in the NC and VA mtns, Windrock in TN, Snowshoe in WV, Diablo in NJ, and hopefully I'll make it out to Whistler again this summer.
Cool, hopefully I'll see you around at some of those places this summer. I've got a Socom and have been looking into those Slopestyles.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
that's a sexy ride you got there!

Do those Van 36's still bottom if you fart on the seat... I had one in '06 and it was stupid how easy you could bottom it....

I want a float 36rc2 myself, anyone want to sell me there '08?

spliffy

Monkey
Dec 10, 2007
DURANGO Colorado

ss are sick as **** cant wait till sea otter hears mine alo have industry nine wheels in red with bigger tires for other courses 29.8 pounds with the dt wheels full ti bolts

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO

ss are sick as **** cant wait till sea otter hears mine alo have industry nine wheels in red with bigger tires for other courses 29.8 pounds with the dt wheels full ti bolts[/QUOTE]

SWEET bike. BTW, they invented this cool thing called 'punctuation' a few years back. Without it, your writing reads like Dangerous Dan Dickan talks . . . which is actually kind of awesome, come to think of it.

--JP

spliffy

Monkey
Dec 10, 2007
DURANGO Colorado
do i dare ask how it feels compared to your IH 6point?
Riden both and to totaly different bikes. The IH 6 point is a pointless bike xc geometry with a 150 rear end and a frame that weighs like 9 pounds. DW links are awsome but how IH built that bike up is just retarded more dh geometry and the 6 point from IH would be right along side the intense minuss the over seas construction. When on the bike with proper sag my head tube angle is at 64.5 degrees on the ss and the bb is 13.2 inches

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
do i dare ask how it feels compared to your IH 6point?
As far as the geo goes, it's lower (about 1/2") and slacker (about 2deg). The 6point is probably a little better suited for general riding, but the SS feels awesome when you really push it hard - as I would imagine the Type6 would feel. Suspension-wise, it feels pretty similar. It has a longer shock and slightly less travel than the standard 6.6, so the lower leverage feels pretty supple and it ramps up nicely.

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
SS frames have just arrived in NZ. Retail is over $4K

:plthumbsdown::greedy::plthumbsdown:

With the NZ$ now buying about .80c US, we are getting ripped off.

Booooo Blueshark Booo!!! Before you charge an exorbitant price, you better get your service and delivery sorted. Boooo!!!!

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
Riden both and to totaly different bikes. The IH 6 point is a pointless bike xc geometry with a 150 rear end and a frame that weighs like 9 pounds. DW links are awsome but how IH built that bike up is just retarded more dh geometry and the 6 point from IH would be right along side the intense minuss the over seas construction. When on the bike with proper sag my head tube angle is at 64.5 degrees on the ss and the bb is 13.2 inches

my IH 6point frame weighed in at 8 lbs with a dhx air attached.
with the 07 180mm 66 on it, i have a 14.25" BB height and slackened front end, it feels pretty damn good to me. i don't know the angles, but i'm guessing it's around 67 headtube angle unsagged. it's slacker and lower than a 7point.

and i like the 150mm rear end...i can swap my DH wheelset on there from my V10, swap my roco on there and turn it into a mini-dh bike.

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
I think you mean 14.25" BB. I liked the 6point a lot personally, but would have liked it a bit slacker with the same BB height.

woops...i'll fix that. thanks, you're correct.

sounds like a sick bike, dogboy. thanks for the comparison.

yeah, i don't know what the numbers are when the bike is sagged, but i run it a bit soft back there to keep it slack and low. running it saggy with the 8.75x2.75 roco on there gives me a bit more travel on the end also.

spliffy

Monkey
Dec 10, 2007
DURANGO Colorado
The Iron Horse is a good bike but when you put it up aganst the ss or even the 66 and nomad, how they built the frame just makes no sense. We had a top end 6.6 IH on our floor with xo dt and all the high end parts the bike weighed 35 pounds and was 5200 dollars the nomad we had was 30pounds and had teh same build kit. For a bike marketed for all mountain riding the use of a 150 rear end and a 8 pound frame just does not fit the bill for most customers this is why they are no longer doing a high end part spec on those bikes because they do not sell.

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
We had a top end 6.6 IH on our floor with xo dt and all the high end parts the bike weighed 35 pounds and was 5200 dollars

yeah, i hear yah. i scored a good deal on a frame/shock only and built mine up to avoid the hi costs. mine weighs 35lbs complete. i love the bike, tho. it climbs like no other and i kinda like the weight going down. it did take me a while to get it to feel right, but i'm really happy with the handling, geometry and fit, now. mos def a versatile bike that can do everything.

just thought i'd ask, cuz i know dogboy has a 6point and it would give some sort of idea as to how the SS feels.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
As this turned into an Intense thread, I have a question...

Is the seat tube completely straight so that you can run a long seat post?

I'm looking at this frame for my Whistler/North Shore ride this year... it's either that or a Socom.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
As this turned into an Intense thread, I have a question...

Is the seat tube completely straight so that you can run a long seat post?

I'm looking at this frame for my Whistler/North Shore ride this year... it's either that or a Socom.
I'm running a 367mm post on a medium for full leg extension - 32" inseam. I can drop the post lower than the rear suspension will allow - the seat hits the tire. I would imagine you could do the same with a 410mm post. So yes, straight seat tube.