Quantcast

minimalist multitool

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I carry a fairly small saddle bag on my road bike, and I try to pack a tube, patch kit, multitool, tire levers, and a gel pack in it. My current multitool is just too damn big - I need something small... just a few hex keys and perhaps a flat/phillips screwdriver.

Any recommendations?

I was lookign at this guy from crank bros, but it's hard to get a feel for the size of it.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
I have the CB 17 tool. Its smaller than the photo that's on their site. Its small and has all the tools I need. I'd recommend it.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
That crank bros tool is tiny and probably good for what you want, but I've been stuck without a chain tool enough times that I don't bother with a multi that doesn't have one.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
CB tool is great, but keep in a bag with anti moisture pouch(found with some food)

The stainless steel they use rusts :p

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
syadasti said:
CB tool is great, but keep in a bag with anti moisture pouch(found with some food)

The stainless steel they use rusts :p
Well, did you leave it outside. I have had mine for a long time and its still good.

I have the crankbrothers multi 17 tool. It has a chain tool.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
mtnbrider said:
Well, did you leave it outside. I have had mine for a long time and its still good.
No I live in the NE and we have this thing called moisture (I know it sounds weird in SoCal but it really exists!). It was stored in my hydration pack in an internal zippered pocket. After it started rusting I started storing it in a ziplock bag with desiccant.

The SS is cheap low grade crap :stosh:

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
syadasti said:
No I live in the NE and we have this thing called moisture (I know it sounds weird in SoCal but it really exists!). It was stored in my hydration pack in an internal zippered pocket. After it started rusting I started storing it in a ziplock bag with desiccant.

Fun game:

Take a few of those silica packets to your favorite bike shop....esp the one that lets you behind the counter. Open the packet and pour it into the presta chuck attached to the compressor. Aim and fire, but be prepaired to be chased around and punched a few times. Also works well w/ presta caps.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
mtnbrider said:

I have the crankbrothers multi 17 tool. It has a chain tool.

I've got the same one and like it alot. Surface rust started to form on mine after being in a wet camel back for 2 days.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
syadasti said:

My Topeak Hummer Looks like that... its old though... 5-6 years at least. Still works though.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Well the CB still work and the steel is hard its just that rust isn't cool to look at...

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
nope, not cool to look at. i don't recall mine getting wet, either. spends most of its life in a fairly dry environment (my apartment), or in the camelbak.