Quantcast

Minimalist or maximalist?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Do you pack everything for a ride, or the bare minimum to keep it rolling?

I’ve been on a minimalist kick lately, have a battery pump coming and started carrying a latex tube rather than butyl. I typically don’t ride if it’s likely to rain, but I’m wondering if others are paring down what they carry or just go HAM into the woods with enough gear to cross the appalachian trail

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Generally I go minimalist, but it also depends on where I'm riding and how long I plan on riding. I base it somewhat on how long the hike out/back would be.

And when I say minimalist I mean it. Sometimes I only carry car key and a multi tool. Sometimes I skip the multi tool. Always have my ID and health insurance tho

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Depends on how F-ed I am if I have a mechanical or situation. Last big ride had me with my lowrider camelback, two packable jackets, PLB (which I needed) and so on. It was fairly remote and weather can change. Given all the issues Ive seen with people trying to use the hyperlight tubes (by the time its actually needed, something has abraded it or rubbed through, etc.) I'd just rather have a solid fix. That's how I try to pack, not excessively as in the people carrying extra hangars and so on, but I want the stuff to work, so functional pumps, etc.

If its a local XC ride, then just a small tool and extra bottle, in a hip pack that only carries a bottle, wallet and keys in pack pocket.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If you are never far from walking out, minimalism is fine. Otherwise there are people who are prepared, and people who rely on people who are prepared.

Also battery pumps are dumb

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
After an unfortunate, 4 mile, Dh trail downhill hike at dusk last night, I am packing some things again that I stopped carrying.
(First walk out due to a mechanical in many, many years)
I generally carry a ton, down to cables, cleats and cleat bolts, extra valves, even brake lever bleed bolts. Brake bolts, brake pads, fixing bolts, etc. Darts and bacon, pump and c02, emergency blanket, etc, etc.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
After an unfortunate, 4 mile, Dh trail downhill hike at dusk last night, I am packing some things again that I stopped carrying.
I generally carry a ton, down to cables, cleats and cleat bolts, extra valves, even brake lever bleed bolts. Darts and bacon, pump and c02, emergency blanket, etc, etc.
Disk rotor bolts and cleat bolts are usually compatible.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I generally carry a ton, down to cables, cleats and cleat bolts, extra valves, even brake lever bleed bolts. Brake bolts, brake pads, fixing bolts, etc. Darts and bacon, pump and c02, emergency blanket, etc, etc.
Haha, I've had three walk outs in three months, but they were all freehubs.
I don't carry much, I enjoy getting out of stupid situations that I should have prepared for.
Snake bandage will be added this year, figure it would be useful for fractures too.
EDIT- Four walk outs.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Depends on how F-ed I am if I have a mechanical or situation
basically this. a lot of the places i ride i'm 10-15 minute walk out tops. or i could call someone for a pickup from a spot. if i rode more remotely more often i'd certainly be carrying more consistently. the places that are more remote i do carry more. the "gravel" ride i did this weekend i even carried a tube, tire levers, and a pump.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm definitely a minimalist for local rides. I hate wearing any sort of pack any more if I don't need to. I can ride from home to my local park and I only bring one water bottle and my phone. My bike always has a small tool kit (in the downtube storage compartment) with tire plugs, CO2, and a multi-tool. Most local parks have water fountains in them.

I have not had any sort of on trail mechanical or flat in well over 6, maybe even 7-8 years. A couple of times something has come loose or needed to be adjusted and the multi-tool came in handy. I used the CO2 once for someone else's bike. Bikes are just too reliable these days.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Minimalist for local rides: Pump and water bottle on the bike, phone in the pocket, multitool, tire plugs, energy bar, and car keys in the fanny pack.

Intermediate for long ride possibly involving big mountains: I'd add a tube, a windbraker jacket and/or warmer clothes, more food, a second water bottle or a water purification system.

I deeply regretted the few times I went full maximalist. My back is too weak to ride with a big heavy backpack loaded with shit I will not use, food I will not eat and water I will not drink.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I always have the ability to fix a flat (a tube and a pump (no Co2) and these days, plugs too) and at least a minimal multi-tool. From there it depends on distance/time, weather, remoteness, trail type, etc.

Bikes are pretty damn reliable these days, but it seems that every time I start to veer toward minimalism I end up getting burned by some random thing that I'd usually be prepared for. I also end up helping unprepared folks on group rides, when failure to do so would ruin the ride - at least for everyone who agrees that no one gets left behind.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I always have the ability to fix a flat (a tube and a pump (no Co2) and these days, plugs too) and at least a minimal multi-tool. From there it depends on distance/time, weather, remoteness, trail type, etc.

Bikes are pretty damn reliable these days, but it seems that every time I start to veer toward minimalism I end up getting burned by some random thing that I'd usually be prepared for. I also end up helping unprepared folks on group rides, when failure to do so would ruin the ride - at least for everyone who agrees that no one gets left behind.
speaking of mini-pumps, i'm due for a new one. what's the latest and greatest?

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
On the mountain bike I wear a hip pack with a water bottle, spare hanger, spare tube, small tire lever, small pump, multi-tool, and a Clif bar.

On the drop-bar bike I have at least one water bottle mounted on the bike (sometimes two if it's a longer ride) and I have a spare tube, hanger, tire lever, and multi-tool all strapped together to the downtube near the BB.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
OneUp pumps are great, and help keeps things nice and tidy with built-in tools and shit. They've been my go-to recently. One of those with the EDC kit (mini-tool and chain tool) and a tube work great for a minimalist set up.

For pure performance, it's not new, it takes up more space, and it doesn't have the integrated bits, but the Mountain Morph is still my fave, pretty much a mini floor pump as advertised. Being able to push against the ground instead of your valve makes inflation much easier.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
OneUp pumps are great, and help keeps things nice and tidy with built-in tools and shit. They've been my go-to recently. One of those with the EDC kit (mini-tool and chain tool) and a tube work great for a minimalist set up.

For pure performance, it's not new, it takes up more space, and it doesn't have the integrated bits, but the Mountain Morph is still my fave, pretty much a mini floor pump as advertised. Being able to push against the ground instead of your valve makes inflation much easier.
I've already got the edc in my steerer, and yes I quite like it.

Ideally I want something that mounts to a bottle cage. I'll check out the mountain morph.

I also saw the specialized big bore. I like the high volume stroke on that one. On sale for under $40 right now too

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

Ideally I want something that mounts to a bottle cage. I'll check out the mountain morph.

I also saw the specialized big bore. I like the high volume stroke on that one. On sale for under $40 right now too
MM is too big to mount to your bike, I have an ancient one that either lives in my fat bike frame bag, or comes with me as a travel pump if I fly somewhere.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I have a few synchros that have a dual head that locks w/what is essentially a cam. Those and the lever heads that have a cam are by far the most secure IME.

There are some super minimalist “push to seal” models that I find are utterly worthless, having to keep constant downward pressure you compress the upper valve o-ring and let air bypass the one inside the rim, often leaking at the valve due to the downward pressure that has to be constantly applied.

The leyzene pockets ate the closest ive come to something minimalist that actually works.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

I have the Park Tool pump on a few bikes and it's always worked when needed. It's not fancy and doesn't carry anything, but it mounts under a bottle cage nicely. Easy to use as well.

It also comes in all black, which is a plus.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I have always been a fan of the Blackburn Mammoth. Not the latest at all, but may very well one of the greatest IMO.

I have one on all my bikes, the oldest being over 20 years old. Not much to break in there, super easy to rebuild, decent volume per stroke.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I have always been a fan of the Blackburn Mammoth. Not the latest at all, but may very well one of the greatest IMO.

I have one on all my bikes, the oldest being over 20 years old. Not much to break in there, super easy to rebuild, decent volume per stroke.
I'm still bummed Blackburn didn't keep doing their night light range. I liked the stick design of the batteries, my brother had the twin mount on his Gary Fisher Sugar and I was so jealous.

I still had a cygo with a block of lead at the front of the bike.