Quantcast

minimum requirements for quality video editing?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
with our upcoming wedding, my woman has given me permission to buy some hardware :D

we'll hire a videographer to capture the ceremony, but I figure for the reception, we'll buy two cameras -- one as a stationary 'kiosk' so people can come up and leave us a video message and another for people to pass around and capture whatever they want.

that said, what's the minimum hardware* I'll need to edit down all the footage we'll capture?

suggestions on digital video cameras -- one good, one decent?

* I assume this PC will have all the hardware and software to also run it as my HTPC?

Thanks!

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Out of my league. I only play w/ chopping and redoing DVDs. If the digi-cam can store and release the info as .vob file, then I can help. But as it stands, I don't think any digi-cam has that capability. I know you'll need a video capture card of some type, but no exact details as to what.
I do know that a lot of ppl like Pinnacle for editing their footage tho. After editing, I'd look at Nero for authoring. I'm not sure what/who makes it, but I've also heard Final Cut is really good.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Pau11y, if it's a digital video camera, it'll record the image on a hard drive or flash drive that can be transferred directly to the computer.

LO: is that what you had in mind? I don't have a lot of knowledge/info about digital video cameras.

What's your current computer configuration? Or, if you don't know it, what's your computer manufacturer and model?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
BV: I don't know about video, but I assumed (like you) that it can be transfered just like still captures.
Operating Systems Microsoft® Windows® XP
Form Factor Desktop Tower
PCI Slots (Total) Learn More 3
AGP Slots (Total) Learn More 1
Expansion Slots 4
Processor Brand AMD
Processor Class Sempron
Processor Number 3100
Processor Speed 1.80GHz
Memory Type DDR
Total Memory 256MB (512 now)
Interface EIDE
Capacity 80GB
RM: I suppose that's true, but I want something reasonably efficient.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Meh.

Hmm... So what's your budget here?

Because in order to make that machine efficient for video editing, it's gonna need a lot of upgrades and it may make more sense to stick a video card in that machine, turn it into a media PC, and piece together something new for video editing and your future PC needs.

To start, you'll need another 512mb of memory, a much bigger hard drive, new video card, and your processor is no great shakes either - only, since it's a Sempron, you may not be able to put anything good in the motherboard. If you don't have a DVD burner, you're going to want one to make copies of your movies, and to back them up.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I figure I'll get a video editing workstation that'll also double as my HTPC. Good or bad idea?

I'd like to keep it under $1000 for just the PC.

Figure we'll get a 40" plasma/lcd sooner or later too.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Under a thousand? Ooh, boy, we can make you a nice computer for a thousand bucks :D

Can't really spec recommendations right now but I'll work on it later.

Can you do the assembly, or do you have a friend/neighbor/something who can?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I can, but prefer not to. Every time, and I mean every time, I've built or done significant changes to my computers, it takes me all day, sometimes two, I get annoyed and then drunk.

And it's never the same problems twice.

I'm smart enough to fvck things up good. :D

But if it'll save me significant cash, then I'll do it.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
So, let me chuck out a proposed system and people here can have at it with suggestions:

Case/Power Supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16811129163

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813131569

Processor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16819103562

Video Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16814122245

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820145574

Hard Drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16822148140

DVD Burner: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16827152058

With shipping, the total is less than $900, leaving you some cushion for a small upgrade somewhere if you want it, or an extra $100 towards your TV, or maybe just a couple bike parts :)

My thoughts on this build:

The case is cheap and solid. I have one. It works, and works well. Power supply is very decent that comes with it.

Power for the system is good for most video editing needs. 2gb of fast memory will help this out a lot. 320gb hard drive is nice and big, also good for video editing. Video card should be great for your editing needs. Over all, this system doesn't completely overwhelm anywhere, but the spec is solid and fast.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Awesome!
Thanks bro!

I only looked at it briefly, will review it again later, but have an immediate question... what about OS? I assume I have to buy it?

Also, why AMD over Intel? Just overall value or something else?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You get a bit more of a value out of the AMD chips, and they usually run cooler for a given frequency.

You don't have an OS CD for your current computer? You might want to PM Ciaran... he had a stash of (legal) OEM Windows XP CDs at one point. I don't know if he still has any.

If he doesn't, you have a choice... you can either buy one or ... yarr, matey.

Apr 3, 2005
So. Dak.
I know this is kinda an old post now, but if you do go with the *ahem* "free" *ahem* version of XP make sure you get some type of valid cd key so you can download updates and what not. Its pretty cheap now days though, so I would just go out and buy it, you need service pack 2 for alot of updates now anyway too. Otherwise all the hardware that binary visions picked out looks good. Newegg.com is an awesome place for computer parts, my brother is one of those computer smarties and he gets crap from that site all the time. He built his own computer a while ago, its a compact little thing! but super super fast.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
thanks Corey.

I haven't done anything yet and I do have a legit copy of XP on my current PC, so if I 'discontinue' my current setup, I'll load XP on the new one.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
LO, go XP Pro, not Home. Media Center is ok, but kinda bloated w/ crap. If you need a copy of XP Pro, let me know. I have four copies of it from my hotel days. They'll need to be slip-streamed before I hand them to you, but that's only like 15-30 mins to do.
And honestly, if you're going to get into video editing, take that $100.00 you saved and get another gig of RAM.
As for HDDs, keep a close eye out in www.bensbargains.net. I've been catching 400gb SATA 300s going for as low as $110.00. Oh, there are a lot of RAM deals to be had in there too. Just stay away from any rebate situations with TigerDirect.com.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Pau11y said:
And honestly, if you're going to get into video editing, take that $100.00 you saved and get another gig of RAM.
You think that just basic home video editing is going to eat up 2GB that fast? I've done some basic editing on my comp with 1GB and it goes pretty quick.

I guess, more is better though, right? :D

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
I have a question, I've been reading through this hoping to learn something and I didn't notice any editing software on the list of stuff to buy. So, is the plan just to use windows movie maker; or to get real editing software?

And what kind of software are you planning on getting, LO?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I hadn't thought of software just yet. I was probably going to download a 30-day trial of something just for the one project. I used Adobe Premier years ago, but haven't done anything since.

I just got a new job two weeks ago where I'm now the department manager, so I'm now thinking of using my work computer -- G4 dual-core with 2GbRAM is currently the best computer. I'm putting together a proposal and am hoping that I can get one of them new Quad Xeon Macs with 4gbRAM by the end of the year :D