Quantcast

Mino Demo 8 detail...

ender

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
I just go my demo 8 frameset and the main linkage says alloy? My buddies bike says magnesium and on the spec website says it's magnesium.

I'm sure it doesn't really matter but, is it a weight or stiffness difference?

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
The outer arms are aluminum the inner piece is magnesium.

Actually I looked at the mililtary spec book and the stiffness to weight of aluminum alloys and magnesium alloys are pretty close.

Magnesium is just lighter in general so you can get a lighter, slightly larger, structure that will overall be stiffer. But that's more geometry driven.

On the back of a Demo for that one link, I'll give you $100 if you could tell a difference.

*Although strength wise magnesium is slightly weaker that 6061 (39 ksi vs 42 ksi) so it really would only be beneficial in areas where you are just trying to save weight as the strength to weight is better but the stiffness to weight is on par with aluminum.

Last edited:

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Not that it makes a difference, but Mag is almost always used in structural applications as an alloy. So they could write alloy on it and it would still be correct.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
Not that it makes a difference, but Mag is almost always used in structural applications as an alloy. So they could write alloy on it and it would still be correct.
Good point, it could be aluminum, mag, steel, ti, etc. Everything is an alloy really.