Quantcast

Minute owners

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Anyone currently riding a Minute 3.00 fork?

How does it feel with the SPV, lets say compare to a Fox fork?

I so much enjoyed riding my bike with the 5th air that I wonder how better it would be with a platform fork.... :devil:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Jozz - doesn't fox make forks with the inertia valve.

I had a Minute 3 for a while but never used it - went with the Talas instead and traded the Minute to Jesus (terry from Bikehell.com) on the Monkey for his Shiver Single Crown some cashola and a rebuild 20mm front wheel.

Ghostrider runs a Minute on his Blur I believe.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Originally posted by Jozz
Anyone currently riding a Minute 3.00 fork?

How does it feel with the SPV, lets say compare to a Fox fork?

I so much enjoyed riding my bike with the 5th air that I wonder how better it would be with a platform fork.... :devil:
I have the 2:00 which is the same fork minus the travel adjustment since December. I am currently on a heckler. Orginially I had a Vanilla RLC 125 but could never get the ride "balanced". It just felt weird.

The Minute took a little time to get right. It was annoying as I didn't really understand what was going on adjustment wise. Plus I had been losing weight which made me chase the set up a little while. I finally got it figured. Since it has been flawless.

Versus the Fox

Cons:
It is not as stiff.
Not as supple over the small stuff.

Pros:
Definately a better match for the progressive shock.
No visible or noticible bob under even stand up sprinting.
Lighter

I'm glad I made the change. The loss of the small bump performance hasn't really made that much of a difference to me especially when coupled with non-existant bob. Medium to large size stuff I can decern no difference between the two forks. The only reason I notice the stiffness is that the Fox was really stiff. I think that the minute has proven to be stiff enough. I WISH that the Minute had 32mm stantions. I have been thinking about a Nixon but... I'm going to finish the summer off on the Minute.

Ride wise, the best way I can describe it is that it rides just like the progressive rear suspension. Does that make sense to you?

The only problem I had with it was the schrader valve on the SPV chamber was exceptionally long so getting the pump off without losing air was impossible. After 3 pumps and a lot of cussing, I figured it out and replaced the valve core without issue.

Instigator

ass balancer
Aug 22, 2001
Rochester, NY
Originally posted by jacksonpt
Instigator has a minute 3 on his 575.
Yep :D

I don't think my spv valve works on my fork:confused: I have yet to pull it part. I have the spv chamber filled to max pressure and the fork feels buttery smooth, but no hint of anti-bob feature.

los jefes

Monkey
May 10, 2004
Asheville, NC
I've got five Mintue 2's in my demo fleet. Those bikes get ridden like a rental car gets driven. Since October 2003 I have not had to touch them other than air pressure. Some early models had bad dampers, but Answer gladly sends out fixes for them. I have a Fox as well and I agree with the above post on the comparison issue. My $0.02

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
my pal has a SPV sherman on his Gemini so i got to feel the effect of a platform fork.

i'm not sold on it because i don't really know why it's beneficial for anything except out of the gate speed when hammering at the beginning of a race, as an example....

just my opinion here but why would you need it, especially for a 100mm fork? does anyone else really feel it increases the speed or performance other than when you sprint your bike? I guess if your dj'ing alot it would be a nice feel, but i think i prefer other qualities than platform in my fork......

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I also find SPV on most forks unneeded. I find that I run the min. pressure in my Sherman Slider+ to make it more active, that is what I want in a DH fork. On the other hand I have recently ridden the new Stratos Inertia cartridge upgrade for the TALAS fork. It replaces the entire compression/rebound side of the fork. It feels awesome! It is very responsive when sprinting and yet it opens up flawlessly under impacts. It is much easier to activate than the Fox models. Stratos licenses the technology from the first co. to develop platform suspension, it is the same technology Edelbrock uses for their automotive shocks. Fox has to work around these patents, that is why their fork can't ever work quite as fast as the Stratos cartridge. I have been less than enthusiastic about Stratos for the last few years but these new products look promising. I might put one in my TALAS, especially since I never adjust the compression or lock it out anyways. They plan to make these cartridges for most popular forks.