Quantcast

Mirrors...

Chris C

Chimp
Jul 30, 2006
Sturbridge, MA
Morning Monkey's,

I have only owned a Road Bike for about two weeks now, but have been MTB'ing for many years. I have to admit, the speed and ability to spin all day is very exciting! The one thing that really throws me when riding is the cars you don't hear coming. I try to head check more than neccesary, but sometimes they still scare the heck out of me. I have seen the little mirrors that go on the front corner of the helmet, they are about the size of a quarter. Do these work, and are they considered lame as hell? Although I am more concerned about function than fashion, I would like to start group rides soon and don't want to be the only weirdo. Also, I really can't bring myself to mount a handlebar mirror on my sweet looking bike.

Thanks for any input,
Chris C

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
FWIW... I can't tell you if they work or not, but when it comes to safety, screw fashion. Some drivers are nuts/assholes, so if a dorky looking mirror can give you a leg up, then go for it.

I've thought about them, but I don't ride in traffic enough to make it worth the trip to the LBS.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
I find mirrors distracting. I've got pretty good ears, so listening for cars works better for me. Like Splat said, to each their own.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Loco Says, "Tell that Chris S guy to find a Tiger Eye mirror. I can't find a pic, but you know how much I like mine. I am naked without it on the road."

I've never ridden with a mirror and probably never will. I like to stay on the back backroads so it is pretty quiet.

Chris C

Chimp
Jul 30, 2006
Sturbridge, MA
MtnBikerChk, I will check that out at the REI near my house. Thanks!

Wumpus, any other info on this Tiger Eye? I tried searching the web for it and didn't find much.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I couldn't get sunglass or helmet mount mirrors to work for me. I got one that screws into the bar end.

I realized on my last ride how much I've used it since I got a new bike and didn't move my mirror yet. I kept glancing at where it should've been.

I like not having to turn my head frequently.

That said, it still pays to take (at least some) of the lane... with or without a mirror.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Chris C said:
Wumpus, any other info on this Tiger Eye? I tried searching the web for it and didn't find much.
Loco says, "I don't have my camera, but will snap a pic tomorrow.

I think they come from J&B or Hans Johnsen. (sp)"