Quantcast

Misery

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Sweet man, how many days were you planning on doing this in and why'd you choose to go uphill? (unless you were riding both directions.) From your pictures, it looks like you guys had fun.

I've been trying to get people together for the past couple years to do the whole thing on the summer solstice from Harpers to Georgetown. They all seem really into it until a few weeks before hand when they all start backing out.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Looks like fun, but you needed the studded tires. Even though it's flat, the canal can be a lot of work when the conditions are tough. Those cold beers stops are reallllllly nice!

Did a similar ride back in January except it rained for half of the trip. Ted Ros. park to the W&OD, cross at White's Ferry and back to G-town: 75 miles, fixed gear. Did the whole C&O back in November in 2.5 days, great fun camping and biking.

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
Capt. Jack Sparrow said:
Damn! That looks unpleasant, what with all the collapsing....
How did you guys meet up with Jack Nicholson? :)
(Image 40 in the restaurant.)

he was passed out in the corner of Booeymongers... we packed him full of coffee and forced him to come with us. funny, jack's actually a darn good rider :D

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
peter6061 said:
Sweet man, how many days were you planning on doing this in and why'd you choose to go uphill? (unless you were riding both directions.) From your pictures, it looks like you guys had fun.

I've been trying to get people together for the past couple years to do the whole thing on the summer solstice from Harpers to Georgetown. They all seem really into it until a few weeks before hand when they all start backing out.
We were trying to make it as miserable as possible, hence the uphill. It was supposed to be just one day, out to Harpers ferry, drink, get picked up. And we would have, easily, if it was colder and the ice held, but the slush/mud was too much. It's been a long time since I was that kicked.

The distance we went was at about an avg speed of something like 5mph. It's a pretty easy ride to do in one day, if the conditions will allow it :mad:

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
The (il)logic was that by combining the worst ride variables the experience would be so bad that it's good. You know, kinda like the Supersuckers' C&W version of "Breaking the Law" by Judas Priest.

I would say better luck next time but honestly I hope there's no next time. :nuts:

All said, it was about as much fun as can be had by DHers on an iced, then slushed, 50 mile, whisky-propelled uphill ride on fully rigid commuter bikes.