Quantcast

Mishap with Loctite

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
I've been having a problem with the reach adjustment screw of my front brake lever backing out as I ride, so last night I put some blue loctite on it. Well, I guess I used too much because it seems that it got down into the lever pivot and now the lever won't spring back after I sqeeze it. :mumble:

Its not so stuck that I can't push it back open, but it needs to be fixed. Anyone know of any product that can dissolve Loctite? I checked Loctite's website, and they say that you can remove blue by hand, but the Loctite is down in the pivot of the lever. Hayes website doesn't seem to be much help either.

Any ideas? Goof Off? WD40?

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Just remove the bolt holding the barrel. Push out the barrel, remove loctite, relube and reassemble.

I did the same thing... :rolleyes:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Jozz said:
Just remove the bolt holding the barrel. Push out the barrel, remove loctite, relube and reassemble.

I did the same thing... :rolleyes:
Clean up any excess loctite w/ alcohol before you put it back together.

And thank your lucky stars you didn't use red or green. (350 degrees to remove)

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Jozz said:
I'll take a look at it tonight. Hopefully its this easy. Hopefully I don't end up being the dumbass that I usually end up being when I mess with things I don't know much about... :think:

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
H8R said:
Clean up any excess loctite w/ alcohol before you put it back together.

And thank your lucky stars you didn't use red or green. (350 degrees to remove)
Oh heck no! I'm smart enough to stick with blue.

So does alcohol dissolve loctite that has already solidified?

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
As Jozz said just take it apart and clean off the excess. Dried blue locktite scrapes off with a fingernail.

Then just put a small amount on the threads and reassemble.

Hayes is now making the little barrel nut with a nylon insert that holds the threads secure. Perhaps they could hook you up with a retrofit.

Mike

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
yikes... they have some stuff in hobby stores that "eats" at loctite and similar products.. just be careful of your paint

jollytime

King of the Kingdom
Jul 1, 2003
Vermont
I know a guy that did the same thing, although he didn't check it until we were suited up ready for a ride and 3.5 hours from home. He ended up riding with his rear brake engaged halfway for about an hour before it loosened up! Gave him a good work out though!

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
pixelninja said:
I've been having a problem with the reach adjustment screw of my front brake lever backing out as I ride, so last night I put some blue loctite on it. Well, I guess I used too much because it seems that it got down into the lever pivot and now the lever won't spring back after I sqeeze it. :mumble:

Its not so stuck that I can't push it back open, but it needs to be fixed. Anyone know of any product that can dissolve Loctite? I checked Loctite's website, and they say that you can remove blue by hand, but the Loctite is down in the pivot of the lever. Hayes website doesn't seem to be much help either.

Any ideas? Goof Off? WD40?

Hayes? I did the same thing (I haven't fixed mine yet)

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
douglas said:
Hayes? I did the same thing (I haven't fixed mine yet)
Yup, Hayes.

Problem solved. I removed the lever and found the problem was that the loctite had gotten down around the adjuster bushing that the push rod/reach adjustment screws into. Since I couldn't see how to easily remove the bushing from the lever, I let the lever sit in isopropyl alcohol for about a half hour. I then took it out and hosed it down with some WD40 and wiggled the bushing back and forth with a small screwdriver to make sure it was broken loose, then dunked it in more alcohol to remove the WD40. While letting it dry I put some loctite on the push rod, installed the lever and VOILA! Good as new.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
DRB said:
Anyone notice how hard it is to get just a little bit of locktite to come out? I now squeeze it into a bottle cap and then dip the bolt.

I got that locktite that comes in chapstick form. No mess!

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
DRB said:
I was at home depot at lunch and saw that. I was wondering how well it worked.

Seems fine. I just dab whatever screw needs it on the end and smear it around. It's about the same consistency as chapstick as well, maybe a little gummier. More like one of those glue stick thingies. Doesn't run or anything. I think it's more expensive then the regular stuff, but if you waste less I guess it evens out.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
i did the EXACT same thing a few weeks ago the night before i went to the mountains for some lift assisted dh runs. i rode the whole day having to manually disengage my brakes. it was cool at times though, on sketchy sections i could just put on my "automatic brakes" and hold onto the bar :D

i got it back to normal the next day by taking the levers off of the housing and lubing the heck out of them then working them back and forth for about 30 min to make the loctite work it's way out. they work fine now.

have fun!

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
We have been having this problem with all our rental bikes. Hayes trully sucks. Any ways, try heating it up slowly with a candle or somthing. This has worked with stuborn bolts for me.