Quantcast

Missed Hobby, Found Santos

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
we couldn't make it to our favorite race of the season this weekend due to a death in the family....but we made the most of it while in florida.
i have heard the stories of Santos in Ocala, FL but i had never experienced it myself. well let me tell you...this place rocks! it's like a grown up version of country park. super fun dirt jump lines with beginner/intermediate and advanced options with big gaps. a curved wall ride and a mulch pit for learning new tricks. not to mention the numerous well-groomed drops that it's famous for. i hit the 10 footer and bottomed my demo :busted:

anyway, it sure made a sucky weekend a lot better; although i heard the hobby race was SUHWEEET!

enough talking. some pics.
they have a "skills" section at the trail head for beginners to learn new stuff in relative safety. noah spanked the skinnies

4" wide

me hitting the 10 footer. super smooth drop but i was surprised at how hard i hit. blew through all my travel.

there's a 4' drop beside the 10' one and noah wanted to hit it but for once, i said no. it would have been a nasty crash if he at it. so he decided to just try and launch the little drop beside the platform instead :D

noah chattin' with doug, super cool guy that showed us around

random shots:
i thought this one just came out cool for some reason

noah coming down

me on the first double of the xpert line (it's either too fast and land flat or too slow and case, i just couldn't pin it)

the 3rd gap in the expert line.

bottom of the course with the wall ride and mulch pit

noah on his way up and over one of the tables in the beginner line

group photo of me/noah/brother-in-law for posterity

oh yeah, they also have a sweet little pump track but i sucked at it on the demo. these pics only cover a small, small portion of this place. it has some excellent wooden structures and natural terrain. well worth the trip if you're down that way :cheers:

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
crap! i was just searchign the pics on freeridesouth and realized that i missed some drops i had heard about. i remember someone said something about a 12' and 15' drop but i was so excited at the 10' that i forgot to ask where. i just found a pic and the 15' looks even smoother!

and the "big one" in case you've never seen it

Jun 11, 2004
crap! i was just searchign the pics on freeridesouth and realized that i missed some drops i had heard about. i remember someone said something about a 12' and 15' drop but i was so excited at the 10' that i forgot to ask where.
You know the 10' that you hit...........all the way straight across the quarry is the 12' and 15'. The take offs are kind of hidden up in the trees.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
you must not travel to FL very much butch. their freeride scene puts ours to shame. more talent and craziness per riding capita than up here for sure. i've gotten more use out of my demo's big drop capability at 2 parks in Fl than i have at all the places up here. you'd be surprised at the ingenious use of limited elevation these florida boys have constructed.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
We will be making a trip down this wenter to get some riding in down there when its still warm. Everything I have ever heard of the place makes anything we have for Free Riding or DJs lame. I can't wait to go.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
you must not travel to FL very much butch. their freeride scene puts ours to shame. more talent and craziness per riding capita than up here for sure. i've gotten more use out of my demo's big drop capability at 2 parks in Fl than i have at all the places up here. you'd be surprised at the ingenious use of limited elevation these florida boys have constructed.
I forgot you only use your Demo 8's race tuned suspension for hucking and hopping rather than speed, turns and motoring. One day soon you need to come visit your NC mountains. Hucks to flat and bunny hopping curbs may never cross your mind again if we can get you up to the top of Black Mtn.

I forgot you only use your Demo 8's race tuned suspension for hucking and hopping rather than speed, turns and motoring. One day soon you need to come visit your NC mountains. Hucks to flat and bunny hopping curbs may never cross your mind again if we can get you up to the top of Black Mtn.

Butch do you have to be condescending every f'ing time you open your mouth?:banghead:
Santos is kick ass and *gasp* requires turning.
How about riding a place before you snub it?
Personally i know how great your local spots are but it's not the only rad spot in the universe.
There is a reason that friendly and nice people are tired of your attitude.
Rant off.

Manimal thats great you had such a good time.
I usually go in the winter and camp out for a measily few bucks and ride ALL day.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Butch do you have to be condescending every f'ing time you open your mouth?:banghead:
Santos is kick ass and *gasp* requires turning.
How about riding a place before you snub it?
Personally i know how great your local spots are but it's not the only rad spot in the universe.
There is a reason that friendly and nice people are tired of your attitude.
Rant off.

Manimal thats great you had such a good time.
I usually go in the winter and camp out for a measily few bucks and ride ALL day.
See....PERFECT EXAMPLE OF WHY I HATE THE INTERNET!!!

Manimal (Brandon) knows my sarcasm and knows I'm only picking with him. We are buddies and he knows I'm only kidding with him. I'm POSITIVE he won't get offended by my comments because he knows they are said with a smile and as a jest. :biggrin:

I hate smilies and winks and nudges and all those e-gooey little icons. I don't have time to make all the e-bunnies feel warm and fuzzy inside with those cartoon captions...I just type brother.

I am NOT trying to slam on Brandon. It looks like he had an awesome time down there and I don't go posting warm, gentle congrats all the time. Have you even met me man? Have I ever said anything "condescending" to you? I'm no better than you.

Don't think for an instant I wouldn't love to ride Santos too on whatever I brought with me. I didn't say anything about Santos being a bad place to ride.

I was refering to Brandon saying they had better riding and terrain than here. I assumed here meant NC. He lives in a part of NC that doesn't have all the riding we have here. I also made a friendly offer to get him up here in the mountains and show him what I'm talking about. What about that is condescending???:happydance:

Edit:
I didn't open my mouth...I typed. Black and white emotionless text.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Wow...look at this guy. Such a heartless jerk. No wonder people hate him:

Well...maybe in this photo...but in fairness to me...JP stunk real bad...

Here...this one is more like the guy you just described:

hah hah...so hilarious when I got hurt that day. Thought I needed stitches and the doctor at the ER just cleaned it out and wrapped me up like a major burn victim. Went home..took a shower...and 2 standard band aid's later, I was good to go...:D

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
See....PERFECT EXAMPLE OF WHY I HATE THE INTERNET!!!

I was refering to Brandon saying they had better riding and terrain than here. I assumed here meant NC. He lives in a part of NC that doesn't have all the riding we have here. I also made a friendly offer to get him up here in the mountains and show him what I'm talking about. What about that is condescending???:happydance:

Edit:
I didn't open my mouth...I typed. Black and white emotionless text.
and did you notice that i was refering to the "freeride community"? i wasn't talking about your little elite racer commune. let me know if i need to come over and give your brittle ego a hug. jeez cecil...errr...i mean butch, pay attention, the gnats want their attention span back.

oh..and drops to flat....seems that i remember a certain course designer making a nice one :busted:

decibeta

Chimp
Oct 4, 2006
Hey, hows it going. I was one of the guys you met at Santos, on the black Coiler. I ate it off the 3rd double in the pro-line and you got a pic of it I think. I'm glad you liked Santos and gave FL some props. Your kid was amazing for his age. Great to see a father son team goin at it like that. Next time your down here you'll have to check out some of our other spots... Later.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
and did you notice that i was refering to the "freeride community"? i wasn't talking about your little elite racer commune. let me know if i need to come over and give your brittle ego a hug. jeez cecil...errr...i mean butch, pay attention, the gnats want their attention span back.

oh..and drops to flat....seems that i remember a certain course designer making a nice one :busted:

yeahy...I'll cry. My ego's as brittle as your bones old man. :brows:

Elite racer commune....oooooh...you're trying to push buttons now but I'm not gonna bite copper. I'd hate for you to pull me over. Even I was legal, you could get me to flip the pissy switch and get hauled in for something stupid.:biggrin:

As for that particular drop...if you'll recall, it was not a drop to flat but rather a drop to bowl. You dropped down the bank and the bowl g'ed you out and consequently shoved your bars into your teeth and made your wrists look like an S. We used that spiteful thing for 1 race and it died after that day. Everyone hated it so bad...:cheers:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Damn Butch,
You should seriously consider destroying your keyboard with a jackhammer. The internet is not your friend.
If you can look at those above pics of Santos and make negative comments then it is time to make a drastic change.
Consider this an intervention before you are :ban: from every good riding spot in the region.:bonk:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Damn Butch,
You should seriously consider destroying your keyboard with a jackhammer. The internet is not your friend.
If you can look at those above pics of Santos and make negative comments then it is time to make a drastic change.
Consider this an intervention before you are :ban: from every good riding spot in the region.:bonk:
I didn't say anything about Santos. I was picking on Brandon, teasing that he was a hucker. Since when are hucker and freerider jokes banned on RM?? I even saw a guys signature has a quote from you saying something about "If you do it, you will be killed by a freerider" And I offered to take him on a ride on Black Mountain, a 3 hour long XC trail ride in Pisgah, hardly elite racer boy stuff.

:shocked: Somebody show me where I said anything bad about Santos?:banghead: