Quantcast

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
While bringing 400lb was pretty fvcking retarded, right about here is where I have to disagree with the federal mandatory minimum standard. Did they find a butt load of weapons and real drugs? Not so much. Mind you they had more than enough dope in the house to smoke out 1/4 of a Phish concert, but really at the end of the day this is not that much of a crime. Really people like Paris Hilton driving drunk or just Lady Gaga for singing deserve more time than this.

Give her P&P, call it a day...

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
she hasnt had her trial yet and i havent seen a date that has been set.
unless she made bail, shes in jail still awaiting trial

MtnBikFam

Chimp
Nov 25, 2009
To answer what has become of Missy,

She was bailed out of Jail just a few days after her arrest. She is currently at home in Virginia Beach,Virginia with her wife- who is a lawyer.

Missy's trial date has not been set. My understanding is that the lawyers are trying to prove the stop was against the law.

Last edited:

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
That's pretty funny that her wife is a lawyer.....straight as an arrow too obviously...(not THAT kind of straight....lawyer straight). She didn't know what Missy was up to?? Maybe try to talk her out of it?

"Missy? Where are you going?"
"Ummmmm.......nowhere....ummm....to go buy you a present. Back soon!"

Snowflake

Monkey
Aug 10, 2009
Maryland
As far as the fight to prove that it was an illegal stop.. How many cases have you heard of where the undeniable proof of guilt was found/obtained 'illegally', and people have been found innocent for much worse crimes than some weed.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
That's pretty funny that her wife is a lawyer.....straight as an arrow too obviously...(not THAT kind of straight....lawyer straight). She didn't know what Missy was up to?? Maybe try to talk her out of it?

"Missy? Where are you going?"
"Ummmmm.......nowhere....ummm....to go buy you a present. Back soon!"
whered you see her wife was a lawyer?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
whered you see her wife was a lawyer?
To answer what has become of Missy,

She was bailed out of Jail just a few days after her arrest. She is currently at home in Virginia Beach,Virginia with her wife- who is a lawyer.

Missy's trial date has not been set. My understanding is that the lawyers are trying to prove the stop was against the law.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
From a legal stand point what happens if you are arrested on a marijuana charge and sentenced to prison. And say in the next year or so Marijuana becomes legal..do you get released from prison? or are you SOL and grandfathered in to finish the rest of your term?

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
From a legal stand point what happens if you are arrested on a marijuana charge and sentenced to prison. And say in the next year or so Marijuana becomes legal..do you get released from prison? or are you SOL and grandfathered in to finish the rest of your term?
Actually, you are still SOL. *Generally* you can ask for a pardon, but good luck with that.

There was a story on TV about a kid who had sex with a minor (I think he was 17 at the time) and was tossed in the can for statutory rape. They later modified the law to say you had to be over 18, but he was still in jail.

Oh, an marijuana will not be made legal before she gets out. And if it is made legal, you'd have to have the right tax info to be holding that much. That is how they got all of the big gangsters in the 1930's - tax evasion. When they catch you with a million in cash it might be hard to figure out where it came from, but if you didn't report it, it's a crime.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Actually, you are still SOL.
It's still illegal on the federal level, they are allowing States to regulate it, which could be the first step in sensible legalization. But all the same if they do decide to legalize on the federal level, you would probably have the BATF (Bureau Alcohol,Tobacco,Firearms) after your ass, instead of the DEA.
The process of something made legal doesn't mean free-for-all, you will still have government regulating the distribution.

Sounds like if she gets the case dismissed from illegal search and seizure she can walk scott free.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Yeah she got caught with a whole crap load of weed and a lot of money I heard. She is so wonderful I can't understand why she would have got involved with something like that. Seems kind of silly... I have been following her career since she retired and I was always a big fan of hers because she was such an individual and so dreamy too. I really dig dead fish jewelry. I once asked her at Mount Snow where she purchased it and she ignored me as I was insignificant and she was so cool. At least I solicited a dirty look. God that made my day. I went to the bathroom and touched myself after that cuz she was so dreamy....It saddens me to learn of her indiscretion with drugs... Maybe she should have made some more dead fish Jewelry and sold them to the consignment store instead. I would have bought one...

MtnBikFam

Chimp
Nov 25, 2009
that was covered already, thanks
I am not stupid. I was simply showing a public link that specifically mentioned the wife (in addition to the other stuff). The were married in P-Town in April and the wife is Lawyer. Someone asked, I simply provided "wife info" in a public manner. Thx

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Star bicyclist admits role in pot peddling ring
Once regarded as the fastest female mountain biker, Melissa Giove could face 5 years

By BRENDAN J. LYONS, Staff writer
Last updated: 11:08 a.m., Tuesday, December 22, 2009

ALBANY -- A one-time champion mountain biker who was arrested last year for her role in a massive marijuana trafficking conspiracy pleaded guilty Monday to federal criminal charges that could put her in prison for up to five years.

Melissa Giove, 37, a colorful athlete once regarded as the fastest female mountain biker in the world, was arrested last June in Saratoga County as part of a marijuana conspiracy that was funneling large quantities of the drug from California to the East Coast.
Giove, who has been free on bail, admitted Monday in U.S. District Court that she had taken part in a three-year distribution conspiracy in which couriers worked under the direction of her and an alleged co-conspirator, Eric Canori of Wilton.

The conspiracy unraveled in June when a man who had been hired by Giove to drive more than 350 pounds of marijuana from San Francisco to Albany was arrested by state troopers in Moline, Ill. The man, who was not identified in Giove's court case, agreed to cooperate with police and federal agents.

The courier told police he was to be paid $30,000 plus travel expenses to drive the Ford F-150 and its illicit cargo across the country. He said Giove, who sometimes followed the truck in a separate car but was careful to never ride in the delivery vehicle, had instructed him to drive below the posted speed limit.

The marijuana was stuffed in a box trailer that was lined with dry ice to throw off drug-sniffing dogs, but it did not work and a canine discovered the cargo when Illinois troopers stopped the truck.

Giove, who lives in Chesapeake, Va., communicated with the drug courier by cell phone and text messages as he continued driving east with police and federal agents tracking his every move.

On June 16, DEA agents were watching when the courier and Giove met at a Hilton Hotel near the Albany International Airport. Giove climbed into the truck and drove north with the courier into Saratoga County.

Giove dropped off the DEA's cooperator at a bookstore in Wilton and minutes later she picked up Canori at a Hannaford grocery story.

But after the pair began unloading their cargo at Canori's house on Preserve Way in Wilton they knew something was wrong. Giove called the courier and told him to "make wings," which court papers said was "code for saying that the drug operation had been compromised by authorities."

Giove and Canori were arrested immediately. Agents seized 30 to 50 pounds of marijuana from Canori's house, not including the more than 350 pounds of marijuana they had taken from the truck in Illinois. They also seized more than $1 million from a duffel bag and shoe boxes in Canori's house.

The drug delivery was part of a distribution conspiracy that began in 2006, according to Giove's plea agreement.

Giove faces up to 40 years in prison and a fine of up to $2 million. But under the plea agreement she signed with the government, Giove agreed that she would not appeal any sentence of more than 60 months behind bars.

Giove remains released on bail and her sentencing was set for March 25.

Canori was indicted, along with Giove and a third suspect, on marijuana distribution charges. He has pleaded not guilty and remains free on bail. His trial is scheduled to begin Feb. 8 in Albany.

Read more: http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=880920#ixzz0aREWcLSC