Quantcast
Status
Not open for further replies.

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
if missy was selling crack, i might agree with some of the sentiment on this thread, but marijuana??? c'mon people, stop being so ignorant. it is much less harmful or addictive than cigarettes or alcohol.

weed should be legal, and sold at the grocery store for $1.89/lb right next to the lettuce.
this is just stupid that she is going down for something that shouldn't be illegal in the first place.

if you're argument is that she should pay the price for doing something illegal, than get the fyck off your mountain bike, as the best mountain bike trails were made illegally.

mountain biking was founded by pot heads living on the fringe of society, and it is the pot heads that are progressing this sport.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
mountain biking was founded by pot heads living on the fringe of society, and it is the pot heads that are progressing this sport.
bingo. I've lived in 5 different states (and different regions within some of them) on both coasts of the US. I've met more mountain bikers that are tokers than aren't. So you "clean livin" wankers are the exception, not the rule.

Also, busted for drugs or not Missy is still faster than 99% of the people here.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Anyone who drives around with 400#s of weed is an idiot, icon or not.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
LMFAO. You guys are the awesomest. With air-tight logic like you demonstrate here, thanks for reminding me why I'm a 'clean livin' wanker'.

--JP

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
LMFAO. You guys are the awesomest. With air-tight logic like you demonstrate here, thanks for reminding me why I'm a 'clean livin' wanker'.

--JP
Also, busted for drugs or not Missy is still faster than 99% of the people here.
...and this fact seems to somehow matter in some way.

Would you rather be fast or not in jail? Seems like an easy choice to me.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
I can't believe the insensitive bull**** i'm reading in this thread. Any emotion other than sympathy for missy and her family is totally heartless. You should be ashamed of yourselves. Regardless of whether you smoke or not, wishing federal prison on somebody for an activity that has NO VICTIMS is just cruel.

She was always lending a hand to new riders, and her early career inspired me personally to get into mountain biking. Having met her at snowshoe, i can tell all you chumps that she is a scary fast rider, funny as hell, and an all around sweet person. She will be missed this weekend.

For all of you who say "take the risk, accept the consequences," that's extremely cold. The world is a risky place, biking is a risky sport, and we all calculate what we can get away with. Sometimes we get it wrong. If I saw one of you lying shattered next to the trail, I know I would stop and help. Yeah, you made a bad decision and I'm free to say "bad luck bro" and ride on but I would still be a dick for doing it.

I, for one, have my wallet open for a legit legal defense fund, and I know a couple of organizations here in Washington that would be able to help missy take her case right to the supreme court if she wanted to fight. I don't know her that well, but perhaps someone who has been in touch with the inmate herself can PM me and let me know how she wants to go.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
For all of you who say "take the risk, accept the consequences," that's extremely cold. The world is a risky place, biking is a risky sport, and we all calculate what we can get away with. Sometimes we get it wrong. If I saw one of you lying shattered next to the trail, I know I would stop and help. Yeah, you made a bad decision and I'm free to say "bad luck bro" and ride on but I would still be a dick for doing it.
This comparison is completely invalid. Doing something you know is illegal and getting arrested for it, isnt anywhere near the same thing as seeing another rider laying on the ground.

I myself have been Straight Edge for 11 years (which Im sure I'll be criticized for saying). BUT, I spent a good 8-9 years of my life doing nothing but drugs prior to that. Even being sXe, I still agree that marijuana shouldnt be illegal if alcohol isnt. I've done almost every drug under the sun, and from my experience, pot has a much milder affect on you than alcohol. Sh!t, from my experience alcohol fvcks you up worse than most the stuff I've done.

Thing is, even though I share that opinion and think that it shouldnt be illegal, IT STILL IS. So if you take chances like Missy did, you better be willing to suffer the consequences.

dcrides

Chimp
Jun 24, 2005
Clay: Marijuana dealing is not always a victimless crime. If the weed is brought over the border, trafficked by cartels, then does the dealer and the final consumers not bare some responsibility if innocent people are killed in Mexico, South America, etc as a result of the growing/smuggling process. Just sayin.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Clay: Marijuana dealing is not always a victimless crime. If the weed is brought over the border, trafficked by cartels, then does the dealer and the final consumers not bare some responsibility if innocent people are killed in Mexico, South America, etc as a result of the growing/smuggling process. Just sayin.
While I agree totally with you (and pot is one of the cartels biggest cash crops), they were busted in New York. Which means the weed was either from upstate NY, Vermont, or Canada. I went to college in Rochester, and that's where all of ours came from.

edit: Jeff is right. As potent as weed can be, its one of the mildest drugs out there. It's one of the only narcotics that you cannot overdose and die from. You can die from drinking too much alcohol, yet it's still legally taxed and sold.

Last edited:

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
if you're argument is that she should pay the price for doing something illegal, than get the fyck off your mountain bike, as the best mountain bike trails were made illegally.
the trails I ride a not illegal. weed is.

400 POUNDS. really really illegal.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Jim Rome is going to hit this subject today on his radio show. I'm almost positive it will not be supportive.
Yes go ROMEY!
HAHA

The trails here are not illegal this isn't Marin, where rich old hippies banned bikes because they liked to hike and be at one with nature. The trails here (man-made) were constructed by very fast riders who didn't blaze.

If she had a crap load of weed on her, stick her in the clink. She knew the risks and if not well crap bust her for being that uninformed.

Last edited:

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
the way i see it, people wouldn't be getting killed or having their lives ruined if it weren't for the drug war. they are definitely not victims of the drug or victims of non-violent drug traffickers. they're victims of the government and the violent criminals that are willing to challenge it. in general, I don't think you can justify holding one person responsible for the acts of others. it's a classic slippery slope. unless missy was out kneecapping her competitors or pushing to grade school kids its pretty hard to argue that there is something morally wrong with what she did. it may have been a bad idea, but that's a different argument.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
the way i see it, people wouldn't be getting killed or having their lives ruined if it weren't for the drug war. they are definitely not victims of the drug or victims of non-violent drug traffickers. they're victims of the government and the violent criminals that are willing to challenge it. in general, I don't think you can justify holding one person responsible for the acts of others. it's a classic slippery slope. unless missy was out kneecapping her competitors or pushing to grade school kids its pretty hard to argue that there is something morally wrong with what she did. it may have been a bad idea, but that's a different argument.
It wasn't morally wrong, dumbass. It was LEGALLY wrong. Let her rot in jail until the jail falls down then build another jail and throw her in that one....

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Listen, if I poach an illegal trail, I am well aware that it is illegal. If I get fined, I will pay, and maybe be pissed at myself, even if I don't agree with the law.

Even though I don't agree with marijuana laws, IF YOU BREAK A LAW, YOU SUFFER THE POTENTIAL CONSEQUENCES. End of story. That's the way our society is held together, and the only way to change that is through legislation or in the courts.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
You don't get to pick and chose what laws you obey because you don't happen to agree with some of them.

I think the speed limit should be 150mph in school zones. Chances are, I could get pulled over.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
^ you hope she get's away?

wow

the very reason I started the website freemissy.com
because people are dumb.
Yes I do hope she 'gets away' with it.

Repeat - laws are not morality. She broke a law, she did nothing 'wrong'. If you disagree there, thats a separate issue. This pragmatic accountability BS is farcical. Scale/Quantity is irrelevant. I abide laws for practical reasons, not because of some delusion of good/bad. Never sped? Smoked a joint? Nothing at all?

Hardly dumb at all; but not a sheep, nor a subject.

The only way to change things is to challenge them; she is on her way to court, and with the current national debate including this subject in a prominent way (moreso than ever before) it will bring further attention. I wish missy the best, and considering the leniency issued to murderers and thieves in visible public arenas in recent history, the vilification of 'drug dealers' becomes highlighted as additionally excessive and unreasonable.

The persecution and prosecution of people for victimless crimes is ridiculous. and YES it is most certyainyl a victimless crime, the related criminality and violence being entirely a function of prohibition.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
^^^^ That's the problem with our society. Right and wrong, moral and immoral, neither of them perfectly correlate with legal and illegal.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
The NAMBLA folks seem to think there is nothing "morally" wrong with touching kids either...

-ska todd

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
You don't get to pick and chose what laws you obey because you don't happen to agree with some of them.

I think the speed limit should be 150mph in school zones. Chances are, I could get pulled over.

Yes, I do. As do most people to some extent. And I accept that I may get in trouble, and that I may have no legal defense/recourse, but I dont suffer the delusion of immorality, stupidity or otherwise.

And despite the presumption, and conveyed story - no one has been convicted, she hasnt put out her side of the story short of denial (which is EXACTLY what you do ESPECIALLY if you're guilty; earlier someone suggested otherwise - and that is truly dumb.)

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
The NAMBLA folks seem to think there is nothing "morally" wrong with touching kids either...

-ska todd
Do you see something morally wrong with marijuana use? I do not. I do know molestation is wrong.

Again - its a law, not a moral compass. Were I suppose that bike riding is immoral (and some do - RIP Ernie Crist) we could lump it into that simplistic analysis.

I am no great debater, and dont expect all to agree or believe I would convince many of my position, but I find it odd, given your history of very reasonbale debate, that you would convey it as something so black & white.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
HB - Do I personally think weed is immoral? No. Am I the law? No. The law wins.

I'm just demonstrating that just b/c you might think something is "immoral" doesn't give you any excuse to flaunt the law. This wasn't like she was pulled over for speeding and they found a pipe and a little baggie. This was a trailer full.

As others have said, if you want a protest a law, protest it. Distributing 400# of ganja ain't protesting it's profiteering.

-ska todd

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
no different than what the Mob did during prohibition.
Yes, but were they right at the time for doing it? It's glorified now and looked back on a couple generations later as freewheeling defiance, but lots of people got shot up and killed over it then.

FDR repealed Prohibition and some saw it as one of the ways to get the nation out of the funk of the Depression. Maybe Barack needs to repeal the pot laws to kick start the economy ;)

-ska todd

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yes, but were they right at the time for doing it? It's glorified now and looked back on a couple generations later as freewheeling defiance, but lots of people got shot up and killed over it then.

FDR repealed Prohibition and some saw it as one of the ways to get the nation out of the funk of the Depression. Maybe Barack needs to repeal the pot laws to kick start the economy ;)

-ska todd
I don't know if I would say they weren't right for doing it, but what they were doing was certainly illegal in the eyes of the law. Prohibition turned many people into criminals, many of whom were non-violent (and only became criminals once the laws were put into effect). The violence arose amongst those who were producing and distributing it.

There are many parallels between alcohol prohibition and pot being illegal. For many of them, they do nothing else wrong, but the laws against weed make them (non-violent) criminals. However, the violence IS common amongst those who produce and distribute it.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
HB - Do I personally think weed is immoral? No. Am I the law? No. The law wins.

I'm just demonstrating that just b/c you might think something is "immoral" doesn't give you any excuse to flaunt the law. This wasn't like she was pulled over for speeding and they found a pipe and a little baggie. This was a trailer full.

As others have said, if you want a protest a law, protest it. Distributing 400# of ganja ain't protesting it's profiteering.

-ska todd
One thing people forget is that laws change. A Canadian snowboarder who won a Gold Medal failed the drug test for pot. The ruling was changed, he kept his medal and several Canadian officials openly supported marijuana.

I'm sure there are several legal tactics which can used to at least reduce the sentence, including arguing this is not "hard" drugs.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
In response to what Huck Banzai was saying about morality and the law:

http://aler.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/4/2/227

Law versus Morality as Regulators of Conduct
Steven Shavell
Harvard Law School

Send correspondence to: Steven Shavell, Harvard Law School, Cambridge, MA 02138; Fax: (617) 496-2256; E-mail: shavell@law.harvard.edu.

Abstract

It is evident that both law and morality serve to channel our behavior. Law accomplishes this primarily through the threat of sanctions if we disobey legal rules. Morality too involves incentives: bad acts may result in guilt and disapprobation, and good acts may result in virtuous feelings and praise. These two very different avenues of effect on our actions are examined in this article from an instrumental perspective. The analysis focuses on various social costs associated with law and morality, and on their effectiveness, as determined by the magnitude and likelihood of sanctions and by certain informational factors. After the relative character of law and of morality as means of control of conduct is assessed, consideration is given to their theoretically optimal domains—to where morality alone would appear to be best to control behavior, to where morality and the law would likely be advantageous to employ jointly, and to where solely the law would seem desirable to utilize. The observed pattern of use of morality and of law is discussed, and it is tentatively suggested that the observed and the optimal patterns are in rough alignment with one another.
So - morality and law ARE 2 different entities but are NOT mutually exclusive. The two are used to reinforce each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.