Quantcast
Status
Not open for further replies.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Are there big illegale alcohol producing organizations? Why would there be so with regards to Marijuana?

yes, peopel are in it for profit, even at the lower levels, this is a capitalist sicuety, the vast majority of people are driven to some degree by a desire for capital wealth. Were it legalized, the major capital profits will be to businesses who are init for the money. That is both normal and reasonable.

"The majority of people who drink do not binge drink" - I would call this a reasonable assumption, still an assumption. I disagree with the notion that they dont get 'high' - they may not be roaring drunk, but they are certainyl inebriated. It is a false assumption that all smokers are heavy smokers, or that they pursue or achieve ectreme high's moreso than there alcohol imbibing contemporaries (avoiding the inevitable cross section and corraling each into their own arena.)

Another example: From 1988-1990 I was an apprectice to a cabinetmaker, we did mjor work in some high profile homes, and were referred to a new client in same building by Timothy Hutton. The neighbor was a husband and wife, here the director of MSKCC (memorial sloane kettering cancer center) and he some laterally significant role in the field of cancer research. Enormously successful leaders who would come home to a daily ritual of a joint (openly smoked in front of us 'laborers').

On the same note, a close family member was an alcoholic from age 19-64, he was the director of architecture at a major state school, president of the board of Fontainbleau, on the board at many NY museums. All the while a 5th+ a day drunk. Plenty of family problems, several wrecked cars, but successful.

Like a gun not killing people, people kill people -- it is not the drug, it is the user. Plenty of people use alcohol and drugs without abusing them, but the light is shone where the dirt lies, so thats what the masses infer.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Agreed Jon on all points. I am not sure you understood my last post which states what you just have, but also points to the fact that I believe/propose that the big guys (who are often associated with violence/crime) will just find or fabricate a new "crop/drug" to deal, which doesn't eliminate the crime and violence, which we all know that generally the local stoner is not participating in. (beatings, large theft, murder ect.)

What I am saying is at the big time dealer level, the crime doesn't exist because the product is illegal. It exists because the people involved are criminals looking to make tons of money the "easy" way. They will always find a product or method to fund their agenda, which is funny because you would think that if their efforts were put forth in a legal business, they would probably be just as successful.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Food for thought Huck: Where does it end? Again, you have to take the specific substance out of the picture. It is my belief that big time dealers are in it for money, no more, no less. How old is Crack? I know where it derives from but my point is it was manufactured back in the 80's, not because there were no other options for ways to get high, but because people were looking for a way to make money. Crystal Meth-mid to late 90's; again there are a lot of other substances out there that will provide similar results but again it is a pure profit type of drug created by criminals. My point is, and I am not against the legalization of marijuana, the theory that legalizing will eliminate dealers/traficking/associated crime is a farce. It may eliminate the small time petty dealer, who I agree poses little threat, but the true criminals who opperate off of greed for money and power will just create something bigger and badder (for lack of better term).
Cocaine, crack, and meth are used by many people, but when they start to be abused, the results are catastrophic.

I don't know of any pot whores (although I have seen people begging for pot). Even the illegal farms are not as violent as coke or meth deals.

Unfortunately, some marijuana, particularly in the Southwest, does come from Mexico in the same channel as cocaine. Then violence can run rampant. However decriminalizing pots means anyone can grow or sell it, which means you can find out exactly where your pot is coming from.

As for something bigger and badder, there is a center for drug research called Amsterdam which is trying to develop a strain of cannabis to blow your mind, once and for all. Many wait and pray.

Additional food for thought: People always bring up alchohol vs. weed/drugs. The majority of people who drink do not binge drink. That is to say, the majority of people have a drink or two at various times and do not go to the point of getting drunk. If a person was to get drunk everyday or even multiple times through out the day, would we not view them as a problem or at least in a negative light even if they were to harm no one? Now think about it, (unlike Bill Clinton)I have never smoked without getting high. Most people I know that smoke do so on a daily basis, and a fair amount will do so multiple times per day. If it were legal, like alchohol, is there now a double standard? I know there are differences in the effects of the "high", again, just food for thought.
You try to combine several ideas about consumption, addiction, and your appearance to non-users.

First of all, there are many functioning addicts who smoke pot, drink, or use the hard drugs as well. While Puritans may condemn them, ultimately, if these addicts are able to function adequately, they could easily hide their problems and actually be very successful.

I managed a guy who baked low-grade pot cookies for himself, and he would munch one or two during his shift as a bike mechanic. While he was the hardest working man in the shop, I told him not to supply any to the other employees, including the shop owner, because I didn't want to have to run the shop by myself while everyone else went into the backyard to stare at the sky.

I never drink or smoke while I am working because while I can probably function, I don't enjoy myself. But if others do it and it does not affect their work, I don't have a problem.

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
I've worked for two pro-legalization think tanks, most recently analyzing the coca trade and US crop eradication efforts in Bolivia and Colombia. Lately, I've been attending events on Afghanistan policy trying to learn about the counter narcotics strategy, but legalization is a hard sell with the military at this point. To be honest, I try to stay off Capitol Hill, but when I had a congressman in my house this winter (friend of my father's), I did my best to tell him that crop eradication would never work and explain why it was bad policy. I just don't think they're prepared to hear "If heroin were legal this insurgency would disappear in 6 months" even though it's the truth. I don't see congress touching this with a 10 ft pole.

However, drugs are not my primary area. My work at the moment focuses on land rights reform in developing countries because frankly it's a bigger fish to fry. There are a couple billion people in the world without secure titles to their land (depending on who you ask) and land/resource grabs by elites are a significant cause of poverty and conflict. However, in my line of work I deal with the exact same nonsense.

Special interests (lawyers, surveyors, cops) who benefit directly from the status quo, predatory elites who are able to exploit it for their personal or political gain (local bosses, politicians, gangsters) and a whole bunch of people who are either too busy to demand their rights, too disillusioned to try, or too ignorant to do it effectively. I deal with land rights but you could insert drugs or practically any other intractable political issue and find the same thing happening.

As for the victimless crime idea I will say one thing. There are crimes with real victims correlated with drug use and trafficking but that doesn't mean that drug trafficking as such has victims. Charge these bastards for the murders they commit or the people they beat up. Those are crimes. A voluntary transaction between two adults is not.
Now how would the CIA fund their programs if drugs were properly eliminated or legally distributed??;)

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Agreed Jon on all points. I am not sure you understood my last post which states what you just have, but also points to the fact that I believe/propose that the big guys (who are often associated with violence/crime) will just find or fabricate a new "crop/drug" to deal, which doesn't eliminate the crime and violence, which we all know that generally the local stoner is not participating in. (beatings, large theft, murder ect.)

What I am saying is at the big time dealer level, the crime doesn't exist because the product is illegal. It exists because the people involved are criminals looking to make tons of money the "easy" way. They will always find a product or method to fund their agenda, which is funny because you would think that if their efforts were put forth in a legal business, they would probably be just as successful.
I think that the real hard core criminals would have a harder time getting sane people to cooperate with them if the laws were not so obviously absurd. Stupid unenforceable and unjust laws breed lawlessness. It's not right to throw the baby out with the bathwater, but it's how things seem to work.

I can tell you firsthand, the only surveyors who benefit from anything are those who own companies, and even then they undercut each other until no one makes much money.
In this country maybe, but in many of the countries I deal with there are just a handful of them and they wield amazing monopoly power. Jamaica for example has like 75 registered surveyors, most of whom work off island, for a population of 3,000,000. Most of the million or so parcels on the island are unsurveyed and the land registry is a mess, but it's too expensive to update under the current system. The laws ensure that becoming a surveyor is extremely difficult, and impose impossible accuracy requirements and regulations (centimeter accuracy for boundaries of rural parcels is pretty difficult to achieve even with a good VRS network which they don't have). The surveyors down there and in lots of other countries do real well.

Frisco

Chimp
Jan 16, 2002
Vancouver, WA
Right or wrong? Fair or unfair? I just want to wish her the best getting through this.

Oh, and for those of you who think drug laws are fair, just keep in mind that marijuana is a schedule I drug per the DEA. This puts it in the same class as PCP, china white, methamphetamines, and of course heroin.

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
How old is Crack? ...it was manufactured back in the 80's, not because there were no other options for ways to get high, but because people were looking for a way to make money.
actually, in the 80's, under reagan, the U.S. illegally crop dusted marijuana crops in third world countries, effectively killing the supply in central america (not to mention cancer and birth defects from ground water contamination, but that's beside the point). this created a void in the supply, for the demand of marijuana. it was this void that allowed crack to become widely used. the country of Belize has a huge crack problem, and it is for this exact reason....there was no marijuana to supply the demand of users...thus, crack!

once the normal supply of marijuana was cut off from the inner cities of our own country, poor people (aka, non-white, how convenient) turned to crack, which magically landed on our shores. before they knew crack was such an addictive drug, it was too late. lives were devastated. a new industry was born.

so, in a sense, there were no other options for people to get "high". crack was a cheap and highly addictive alternative.

do you anti-weed people actually think your inner city drug dealer is the one bringing crack and cocaine into our country?

you really think the hustler clockin' on the corner has a jet for trafficking cocaine across the boarder?

where do you think this stuff comes from?

Now how would the CIA fund their programs if drugs were properly eliminated or legally distributed??;)

^^^exactly. i know it sounds absurd, but this was all well documented during the "Kerry Committee Report", when they investigated the Iran-Contra scandal. our own government was trading weapons for cocaine with Nicaraguan rebels (who trafficked the weapons to Iran). there is a point break in Costa Rica, called Oliver North Point, which is the location of a remote air strip where these deals went down.

sorry for the tangent, but my point is that even our own government is dealing drugs.

whether drugs are legal or not, there will always be a demand and there will always be a supply. so, why not make the one drug that is the least harmful, legally available? undercut the black market, educate and let adults make decisions for themselves without being labeled as criminal.

Last edited:

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
Additional food for thought: People always bring up alchohol vs. weed/drugs. The majority of people who drink do not binge drink. That is to say, the majority of people have a drink or two at various times and do not go to the point of getting drunk. If a person was to get drunk everyday or even multiple times through out the day, would we not view them as a problem or at least in a negative light even if they were to harm no one?

Consuming weed is somewhat similar to drinking. You can take just a little rip, and it will have the effect of drinking a beer or two. It is a mistake to assume that marijuana can not be moderated by the user. If I want to take the edge off a long, productive day of work, I might do both, have a beer and a puff. I don't sit down with a huge blunt and get blasted, every time I want to use. Just the same as I don't drink a case of beer or full bottle of vodka, every time i want a drink. It's not as on/off, black/white as many people are making it out to be.

For me, I started drinking first, because it was socially acceptable. But alcohol gives me terrible headaches. I can drink 2 tecates after a ride, and wake up the next morning with a migraine and nausea. something about the majority of alcoholic beverages do not work with my system. that's why i eventually turned to teh herb.

That is also why marijuana use is so widely used amongst top athletes, it has zero calories, it is not detrimental to muscle building like alcohol, and it doesn't negatively effect your body/cells the same way alcohol does.

I just find it strange that this issue is so polarizing. Whether they are legal or not, drugs are drugs. People use them to alter their state of consciousness.

As stated above, where or how do you draw the line? In reality, my first stepping stone drug was probably sugar, in my birthday cake for my 1st birthday. I got jacked on the stuff!

Sugar, caffeine, red bull, muscle stimulants, advil, vicodine, cigarettes, alcohol...all legal drugs.
How can you say something like marijuana, that grows naturally and has been used by people for thousands of years, is any more evil?

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Rumor has it that Missy was trying to get the shipment out to Farah to help ease her pain, obviously it didn't make it. Once Michael found out, it just broke his heart.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I heart this thread. The problem with drug legalization discussions is that all of the legalization advocates are such stoners they hurt their own cause by opening their mouths.

I'm all for legalization, but it's never going to happen until the burners learn to keep their mouths shut and let straight-laced lawyers do the talking for them.

edit: oh, and I wish Missy the best. Stupid, stupid move that I hope doesn't ruin the rest of her life. She's cool as **** and was a hero to me circa 92, when I was hauling around deer trails in hiking boots and work gloves on my fully rigid giant.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I heart this thread. The problem with drug legalization discussions is that all of the legalization advocates are such stoners they hurt their own cause by opening their mouths.

I'm all for legalization, but it's never going to happen until the burners learn to keep their mouths shut and let straight-laced lawyers do the talking for them.

edit: oh, and I wish Missy the best. Stupid, stupid move that I hope doesn't ruin the rest of her life. She's cool as **** and was a hero to me circa 92, when I was hauling around deer trails in hiking boots and work gloves on my fully rigid giant.
'straight laced lawyers' are the ones doing the most burning.

dhzion

Monkey
May 4, 2008
Mighty Zion

I think that if you don't REALLY know what's going on INSIDE the culture you're better off staying in the peanut gallery.

It's comments and stereotypes exactly like this that affect the cause. I mean it's obvious in how many states now? That opening our mouths has made a difference.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I think that if you don't REALLY know what's going on INSIDE the culture you're better off staying in the peanut gallery.

It's comments and stereotypes exactly like this that affect the cause. I mean it's obvious in how many states now? That opening our mouths has made a difference.
Really? Please point out one state where drugs are now legal due to users opening their mouths.

SLanD3r

Chimp
Apr 6, 2006
in california for cannabis, but only by prescription; don't know the status in other states.

given how political/legal systems generally work, I don't think it could have reached this stage of legality if users were silent although I guess it could be possible.

I'm construing "opening their mouth" as any form of political activism/advocacy.

I think you're already aware of the state of cannabis in cali so maybe you meant something else in your post?

Last edited:

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
If 'users' didnt speak up, the current national conversation about legalization would not exist. Legitimate press wouldnt be asking the president about it, and the list goes on...

Since 1996, 8 states have put medical marijuana laws on the books - Alaska, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington - Legalization has been a coverpoint for multiple significant newspapers and magazines over the past year - this isnt a coincidence, or the result of some 'straight laced' anybodies actions. Change is not instantaneous - it takes a long time to change people minds, even when the issue is ludicrous. (Say - women voting, slavery, alcohol prohibition - AAAAAND the list goes on.)

It is useful to make a point, or a counterpoint, but to simply question or doubt is worthless.

Last edited:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Medical usage is not recreational. Morphine is legal for medical use as well. It is not legal for recreational use anywhere in the united states, not is cannabis, meth, heroin etc. End of story. You won't see it legalized anytime soon either.

Should it be? Perhaps if controlled and taxed properly. It would be a fantastic cash crop for the US, both for it's recreational use as well as for it's fibers which are currently under some bizarre embargo. I know many potheads who are far less destructive than most drunks when intoxicated.

However, I know tons of wastes of space who sit around stoned all day and are absolutely worthless. I also know that most Meth/Heroin addicts are complete drains on society. There is a huge difference between something like Cannabis, and something like Heroin or Meth.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Medical usage is not recreational. Morphine is legal for medical use as well. It is not legal for recreational use anywhere in the united states, not is cannabis, meth, heroin etc. End of story. You won't see it legalized anytime soon either.

Should it be? Perhaps if controlled and taxed properly. It would be a fantastic cash crop for the US, both for it's recreational use as well as for it's fibers which are currently under some bizarre embargo. I know many potheads who are far less destructive than most drunks when intoxicated.

However, I know tons of wastes of space who sit around stoned all day and are absolutely worthless. I also know that most Meth/Heroin addicts are complete drains on society. There is a huge difference between something like Cannabis, and something like Heroin or Meth.
Well put! I have a question that can start a whole nother stew....
If Marijuana were to be legalized, would carrying 400lbs. get you jail time?
Do you just have to have a license to transport that much?
Some of you seem to know alot about the "legalization" of Pot,
What would be the ideal legal situation if Pot became similar to Alcohol in our society?
Just enough for personal? Grow your Own, No transporting?
Sold and Taxed like Alcohol? DUI?

Last edited:

dhzion

Monkey
May 4, 2008
Mighty Zion
True, but go try and get a marijuana card and a morphine scrip and see which one is stupidly easy to get.

Wastes of space are wastes of space, regardless of their enabler. Again with the stereotypes. Life is chock full of things that will make you stupider if you let them, whose place is it to judge?

dhzion

Monkey
May 4, 2008
Mighty Zion
Well put! I have a question that can start a whole nother stew....
If Marijuana was legalized would carrying 400lbs. get you jail time?
Do you just have to have a license to hold that much?
Some of you seem to know alot about the "legalization" of Pot,
So what would be the ideal legal situation if Pot became similar to Alcohol in our society?
Just enough for personal? Grow your Own, No transporting? Sold and Taxed like Alcohol?
Grow it and use it. But the gov would never let that happen without taxing it. I would venture a guess tax would be cheaper than your average illegal bag. Bring on the tax.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
True, but go try and get a marijuana card and a morphine scrip and see which one is stupidly easy to get.

Wastes of space are wastes of space, regardless of their enabler. Again with the stereotypes. Life is chock full of things that will make you stupider if you let them, whose place is it to judge?
Not the case. I know plenty of people who are completely productive until they start smoking, and then they become useless. It isn't a stereotype, it's a fact. Being stoned out of your mind 24/7 is not going to help you become a productive member of society, no matter how much you want to believe it.

And you can bet your ass if it is ever legalized, it will see heavy taxation just like alcohol and tobacco.

It's everyone's place to judge when society in general has to clean up the mess and pay the medical bills and jail time for addicts, be it from tobacco, alcohol, heroin, meth etc. You should be especially interested living in the US with sweeping new health reforms about to take place. It's expensive to pay for lung cancer patients etc.

dhzion

Monkey
May 4, 2008
Mighty Zion
Not the case. I know plenty of people who are completely productive until they start smoking, and then they become useless. It isn't a stereotype, it's a fact. Being stoned out of your mind 24/7 is not going to help you become a productive member of society, no matter how much you want to believe it.

And you can bet your ass if it is ever legalized, it will see heavy taxation just like alcohol and tobacco.

It's everyone's place to judge when society in general has to clean up the mess and pay the medical bills and jail time for addicts, be it from tobacco, alcohol, heroin, meth etc. You should be especially interested living in the US with sweeping new health reforms about to take place. It's expensive to pay for lung cancer patients etc.
Multi quote is broked....

I'm sorry but I not only disagree on the first paragraph but I know. I'm not trying to be an ass but I must refer to my earlier post....peanut gallery. If the smokers you know suck, I'm sorry. Facts involve substantiated material, not "this guy I know."

Talk to the government on the third, they have created and/or embraced everyone of those epidemics whether publicly or covertly over the years.

3D.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2006
Chinafornia USA
I guess the weed smokers I know are mostly of a different breed. they're all extremely active hard workers that use the drug to enhance the sport, work, or activity they are performing.

On the other hand... most of the heavy drinkers here in tahoe seem to do just exactly what transcend was speaking of earlier.

What I've observed with people smoking, even the lazy ones, is that there is at least a chance that something constructive may be accomplished.

With people drinking... not a chance, all they'll do is get plastered and tell you and each other the same stories over and over all night, as if everyone was hearing them for the first time.

I have not experienced the type of stoners that you guys speak of, maybe it's just the area I live in. I don't know if I agree with the idea of weed smokers just sitting around doing nothing all day jacking up things like health care expenses. Most of the weed smokers I know are business owners and professional athletes, neither of which position will tolerate a couch potato. Weed is an expensive hobby and you have to make good money to support it, it's similar to being a fine wine enthusiast who purchases expensive bottles. The lazy couch dwellers around here are usually the typical 8 dudes watching tv drinking horribly cheap beer in a can. They can't afford the weed smoking life style, let's keep in mind that it does cost a lot of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.