Quantcast

Mitsubishi?

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I've got a line on a barely used 2005 Mitsubishi Endeavour Limited. 60,000 miles (miles!)

Kinda ugly, but cheap (as much as I paid for my Yeti!), and I've read lots of good things. Has a hitch, roof rack, ready to roll.

We don't see a lot of Mistubishis around here... I certainly won't get the bro-nod that Tacoma owners get around here, but it's a step up from my Mazda3 in a few ways: Lower milegage, no rust, Vancouver car, more power, etc... 4-bike hitch rack capable, 4WD, fancy interior, etc...

What says the RM collective brain?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The best thing about Mitsubishis is that they are cheap.

The only good thing about Mitsubishis is that they are cheap and not nearly as bad as similarly cheap Fiat/Chrysler products.

If cheap and not terrible is the only thing you are looking for a Mitsubishi may be right for you.

Last edited:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
The best thing about Mitsubishis is that they are cheap.

The only good thing about Mitsubishis is that they are cheap and not nearly as bad as similarly cheap Fiat/Chrysler products.

If cheap and not horrible is the only thing you are looking for a Mitsubishi may be right for you.
I'm sad to say it, but that is pretty much where I'm at!

Spending a boatload on a car would be great, but that money is going to childcare. I'm not looking to upgrade, per se, just get a little more bang for the buck.

I could get a couple grand for my Mazda, and this soccer-mom-mobile would wind up being an outlay of around half a Santa Cruz Nomad's-worth. The non-dentist model!

For a car with A/C (mine has shit the bed) and 4WD, it ticks two big boxes...

It is kinda weird looking, though.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
For the price, if you need a car, and it's in halfway decent shape, I say buy it and drive it till the wheels fall off.
yeah, that's kinda it. I'm getting to the "wheels fall off it" point with the Mazda. It still goes, but I'm driving quite a bit these days, and they old grey Marezda just ain't what she used to be. I'm suspecting shocks, the tires are kinda toast...

I just put new brakes and tie-rods on it though. That's pretty annoying....

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
1500 bucks?
And the A/C is dead. Add another $1200 (I'm told the fix will require removing the dash. 10 hour job, and parts)

Winter tires too, another $500 or so (for crappy ones)

I can drag this out over time, of course...

I think the engine and transmission will hold on for a while yet.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
You live in canda, do you need AC bad enough to justify a car purchase? Even a reasonably priced used car? Your obviously driving it now without AC. Hell, the AC in my jeep took a shit 3 years ago (the pulley actually) I replaced the compressor but never actually serviced it. It's unpleasant 2 day a year. Not enough for me to do anything about it.

The point I'm trying to make, is do you need a new car, or just trying to justify a new car? Can you make the mazda last for another year, or 3, or 5, for less than the purchase price of the mitsubishi? If the motor and tranny are good in the mazda, just keep it in safe running condition and drive the car you already have until the wheels fall off.

Last edited:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Besides, whats the mazda worth? Going to trade it or sell it? You might have a hard time moving it privately if it needs struts and/or tires.
Well, I'd likely get about $2-$3K for the Mazda (comparables are as high as $6K).

This Mitsubishi would be $6K, with 60K km less on it than my Mazda. So the outlay would be about $4K (barring any crazy immediate upkeep, which I'm told is highly unlikely.)

This is vs. about $3K outlay to get the Mazda up and running reasonably again (barring the rust which is developing in the rear wheel wells, meh), which is a smaller vehicle, and FWD. I don't pay for gas, so part of me wants to take more advantage of this with a slightly "truckier" vehicle.

The sellers are the original owners, have been super anal about the maintenance, and drove it about 10 miles/per day. It would go for about $2K more on Craigslist, so it's a good price for the car.

And yeah, it gets hot here in the summer! I need to make work calls in my car most days, and this is a bit impossibru with the windows down on the highway.

Could I overcome these hardships? Of course! I'm just a bit of a sucker for a good deal. I feel like this might be a good bang for buck move.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I traded an employee of mine a endeavor that was owned by my parents family friend. They took good care of it and its got 160,000 miles on it. He loves the dam thing. i never even drove it, so i dont know, but he says its great.

I got a 1987 yamaha bw350 from my employee and gave 1000 bucks to the endeavor owner.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Winter tires too, another $500 or so (for crappy ones)
Craigslist. I found $500 less-than-a-season-old high end pirelli takeoff studded tires for my BMW. Power slide all winter long. Might be able to get a 3rd season out of em, but sliding around with the traction control off is tons of fun.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Craigslist. I found $500 less-than-a-season-old high end pirelli takeoff studded tires for my BMW. Power slide all winter long. Might be able to get a 3rd season out of em, but sliding around with the traction control off is tons of fun.
Craigslist is a treasure trove. Winter tires are pretty plentiful this time of year. Much harder to find any decent summer tires right now for cheap.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
You said you drive a lot. Is a V6 4WD vehicle really a good idea in that regard? (i.e. gasoline consumption)
My fuel is covered by my employer, so not a concern.

Screw you planet Earth!

(at least I'm not driving around a GMC Sierra for no reason...)

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
6k for that car isnt that bad.

worst case scenario,
drive it for a year, hopefully (and probably) nothing major breaks down... i you dont like the car, you sell it for 5k; and if you like it and want to throw the dices once more; you keep it another year; then rinse and repeat.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
My friend persuaded the sellers to lend it to him to show it to me tonight. I'll get to take a closer look and try it now!

Wingnut

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
Sorry, I'm Canadian ..sorry...
Hey!!! Mitsubishi!!! Something I know about! !! 8 years as a mechanic for Mitsubishi and I've only ran into 2 people who didn't love their Endeavors.

The Endeavor is a tank. Keep the oil changes and transmission fluid changes up to date, the thing will last forever. Do the timing belt at 96000 miles, replace the water pump and the pulleys and the tensioner at the same time. .

The Fuel pipe rusts out just where it bends under the frame, as the put a nice tray under it to hold dirt and water on the pipes for as long as possible.

The rear lower control arm bushings wear out, it's a pretty easy fix if you have a ball joint press...

If you put an aftermarket 2" hitch on it, you might have to clearance the muffler with a hammer as the engine movement will sometimes make it contact..

The driveline however is strong enough to outlast the body...

If it has the big multi-display in the center of the dash, they are $1100 to replace if it caps out, but sometimes it's just the ground gets bad...

Ummmmm. .. that's all I can think of.... pretty solid as far as Mitsubishi cars go!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
My friend persuaded the sellers to lend it to him to show it to me tonight. I'll get to take a closer look and try it now!
So how was it? Smell like cigarettes and dirty hookers' underwear?