Quantcast

MMA fans: What is the deal with TapouT?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I watched a tiny bit of this show, and my only hope is when does the face makeup dude and the big hair guy get their asses beat up by a Mixed Martial Artist?

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Either they're wannabe clowns or just figure any publicity or attention is good for their product's promotion. I'd never wear their stuff even if I liked it 'cause it'd be like putting on a super-tight lycra t-shirt that says "Black Belt Master of Martial Arts". Every punk with a bellyfull of liquid courage in sight would be up in your grill robbing you of unfunkified oxygen.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I'm lucky, I got Versus network a week after the TdF is on. So I can watch as much TapouT and hunting shows as any San Franciscan can handle.
So about 2 shows each, then?

Tapout has shown a few good fighters, but most of them have gone nowhere. They are supposed to be finding "the next big name" by going to all these little gyms and sponsoring a dude to fight in the WEC.

J_B

Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
In My '09 WRX STI
They're friggin' idiots. It seems like everyone has a Tapout sticker on their rides and wears the t-shirts.

It's so funny going to disturbance calls and the complainant says, "Watch out because the guy that is causing the disturbance wears tapout t-shirts so you know he's a cage fighter."

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
So about 2 shows each, then?

Tapout has shown a few good fighters, but most of them have gone nowhere. They are supposed to be finding "the next big name" by going to all these little gyms and sponsoring a dude to fight in the WEC.
I am mildly curious to see the The Contender Muay Thai (actually I found the finale), but I can't think of less charismatic hosts.

Their stupid getups remind me of the early ECW, when it was an outlaw wrestling show, I enjoyed the bluster and the carny-like atmosphere.

But guys like The Sandman actually got into the ring. I just picture Liddell doing something like this to them:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Chuck on the radio with Adam Carolla:

Chuck scored a 648 on the Hooters punching bag. Sugar Ray Leonard scored a 530. Chuck shattered the standing record: Adam’s score of 565.

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
i know skyscrape [ dude with the fro] and mask [painted face] look like a joke , but i enjoy the show.i have sirius radio and a program i listen to talks about mma and they were discussion tapout. mayham miller was saying that the tapout guys look like a joke , but were actually good guys and good for the sport.a friend of mine was telling me that mask and punk ass are actually ex-cops.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
They're friggin' idiots. It seems like everyone has a Tapout sticker on their rides and wears the t-shirts.

It's so funny going to disturbance calls and the complainant says, "Watch out because the guy that is causing the disturbance wears tapout t-shirts so you know he's a cage fighter."
so true. with a university in town it's not hard to find a drunk jock sporting tapout gear. i LOVE the confused response i get when i ask said inebriated jock if he likes to "wrastle" as my partner makes squealing pig noises :rofl:

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
i know skyscrape [ dude with the fro] and mask [painted face] look like a joke , but i enjoy the show.i have sirius radio and a program i listen to talks about mma and they were discussion tapout. mayham miller was saying that the tapout guys look like a joke , but were actually good guys and good for the sport.a friend of mine was telling me that mask and punk ass are actually ex-cops.
I understand that the Tapout guys have done a lot for MMA from way back, but if they really want MMA to be taken seriously by the public at large they would do well to drop the "rejects from 80's WWF" look/act.

pigboy

in a galaxy far, far away
I understand that the Tapout guys have done a lot for MMA from way back, but if they really want MMA to be taken seriously by the public at large they would do well to drop the "rejects from 80's WWF" look/act.
MMA is taken seriously by the publilc at large. It's just not taken seriously by "intellectuals", uptight suburbanites and folks of that ilk.

plus what's wrong with pandering? i mean i know it's a crime if you do it on the street for money, but pandering on television is probably about 50% of the GDP at this point.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
TapouT, Affliction. Famous Stars and Straps. It's all retarded. MMA is the new douche-bag football-player jock calltag.

It's annoying, especially out here in California.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
MMA is taken seriously by the publilc at large. It's just not taken seriously by "intellectuals", uptight suburbanites and folks of that ilk.
I disagree. While boxing seems to be falling out of favor...MMA still hasn't passed it in the public eye, IMHO.

TapouT, Affliction. Famous Stars and Straps. It's all retarded. MMA is the new douche-bag football-player jock calltag.

It's annoying, especially out here in California.
I saw a guy wearing an Affliction shirt last night and he actually looked like a guy that could handle himself. :biggrin:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

plus what's wrong with pandering? i mean i know it's a crime if you do it on the street for money, but pandering on television is probably about 50% of the GDP at this point.
So MMA is only appreciated by idiots?

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
The commercial for that show pounded into my head for a month watching TdF highlights did make me download both the Joe Jackson and Anthrax versions of Got the Time

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
You don't get to put the word "intellectuals" in condescending quotes when you spell the word "public" as "publilc".

Internet 101, son...

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
I'm trying to figure out what the public at large is if we are omitting intellectuals and uptight suburbanites from the equation. And how the **** do they get lumped together anyway? Let's review other things that the "publilc" at large might take seriously, that is if we remove the smart people and the yuppies from the fray.

Reality TV
MySpace
Energy drinks
****ty beer
Fast Food
Really ugly large sunglasses
Balls hanging from trailer hitches
Nascar
Video Games
The bible
Those tear jerking cotton/plastic/america's dairy land commercials
Football

Serious? As a ****ing heart attack I say.

Tweety

Chimp
May 30, 2007
Ah, Tapout's good stuff. They're promoting product, sport, and their fighters quite effectively (as evidenced by the discussion on a BIKING forum). Personally, I like seeing the up-and-coming fighters fighting in the little hole in the wall places more than seeing the bigger names fighting for multi $$$$$$$$$.

Oh, and BSEE, MBA here, bitches....

B

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
i see the people wearing tapout t-shirts as just a revived version of those in the 80's who wore RELAX t-shirts in the 80 pt font

it just screams "bite my ears"

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I hate Tapout...there has been a certain aspect of the UFC in particular that's still a little more "boxing" and a little less "WWF" but it seems tapout wants it to go in that direction. I just can't stand that these guys use these fake names and walk around in costume. They also act like they created this business that's making them all kinds of money, when I think there was a guy who basically bought or funded the company and turned it into what it is today, which is extremely profitable.

I loved it when JT from the latest "The Ultimate Puncher of Holes in the Wall" walked in to speak with Dana white in full tapout gear from head to toe and was told he was done with the UFC...it was great.

On that note, it frightens me that every fighter now has a nickname, like "the assassin" or "the spider" or "the buttnut" or "bone pirate" or whatever. I always appreciate the fighters that just keep their first and last names, or have a legit nick, not something they picked out of a dungeons and dragons manual.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
At least Tapout doesn't require their fighters to wear shorts with CondomDepot.com emblazoned on the ass.

I mean, how ghey can you be?

It was something like 50% of the fighter the UFC had on the 19th where wearing said shorts. I guess the ass of the shorts are like the NASCAR hood as far as ad placement.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
eh, fighters need money, and the best way for that is sponsorship, since apparently the scrub fighters don't get paid well.

and they ARE promoting safe sex...which I guess is a good thing. The better fighters have less BS and a little more legitimate advertising...I just kind of see condomdepot and tapout as the same thing...just words advertising crap on a t-shirt...would it be any different if it were Tide or UPS?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
eh, fighters need money, and the best way for that is sponsorship, since apparently the scrub fighters don't get paid well.
Actually, compared to boxing undercards, UFC pays very well.

Also, there are some hefty bonuses. Most of the undercard guys get at least $5k just to fight. Winners usually get $10k. Then the bonus for fight of the night, best KO, best submission range from $10k to $50k depending on venue.

There was a Yahoo Sports article where they compared boxing to MMA. The title fights in boxing get WAY more ($30M+ for one fight!), but some of the undercard guys are only getting like $500.

I know Chuck Liddell was pulling close to $5M a year with over half of it from sponsorships (his Xience contract was over a million by itself). But I personally wouldn't want people thinking about condoms when looking at my ass. Let alone condoms in BULK! But that's just me.

<edit> More than I've ever made for one night :D

UFC 86:
&#8226; Forrest Griffin: $310,000 (includes $150,000 win bonus and $60,000 "Fight of the Night" bonus)
&#8226; Quinton Jackson: $285,000 (includes $60,000 "Fight of the Night" bonus)
&#8226; Gabriel Gonzaga - $100,000 (includes $50,000 win bonus)
&#8226; Cole Miller - $80,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus and $60,000 "Submission of the Night" bonus)
&#8226; Melvin Guillard - $80,000 (includes $10,000 won bonus and $60,000 "Knockout of the Night" bonus)
&#8226; Josh Koscheck - $70,000 (includes $35,000 win bonus)
&#8226; Joe Stevenson - $60,000 (includes $30,000 win bonus)
&#8226; Tyson Griffin - $40,000 (includes $20,000 win bonus)
&#8226; Marcus Aurelio - $40,000
&#8226; Patrick Cote - $32,000 (includes $16,000 win bonus)
&#8226; Ricardo Almeida - $23,000
&#8226; Chris Lytle - $14,000
&#8226; Gleison Tibau - $11,000
&#8226; Jorge Gurgel - $10,000
&#8226; Justin Buchholz - $8,000 (includes $4,000 win bonus)
&#8226; Corey Hill - $8,000
&#8226; Dennis Siver - $7,000
&#8226; Justin McCully - $5,000

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Actually, compared to boxing undercards, MMA pays very well.

Also, there are some hefty bonuses. Most of the undercard guys get at least $5k just to fight. Winners usually get $10k. Then the bonus for fight of the night, best KO, best submission range from $10k to $50k depending on venue.

There was a Yahoo Sports article where they compared boxing to MMA. The title fights in boxing get WAY more ($30M+ for one fight!), but some of the undercard guys are only getting like $500.

I know Chuck Liddell was pulling close to $5M a year with over half of it from sponsorships (his Xience contract was over a million by itself). But I personally wouldn't want people thinking about condoms when looking at my ass. Let alone condoms in BULK! But that's just me.

<edit> More than I've ever made for one night :D

UFC 86:
• Forrest Griffin: $250,000 (includes $150,000 win bonus) def. Quinton Jackson: $225,000
• Gabriel Gonzaga - $100,000 (includes $50,000 win bonus)
• Cole Miller - $80,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus and $60,000 "Submission of the Night" bonus)
• Melvin Guillard - $80,000 (includes $10,000 won bonus and $60,000 "Knockout of the Night" bonus)
• Josh Koscheck - $70,000 (includes $35,000 win bonus)
• Joe Stevenson - $60,000 (includes $30,000 win bonus)
• Tyson Griffin - $40,000 (includes $20,000 win bonus)
• Marcus Aurelio - $40,000
• Patrick Cote - $32,000 (includes $16,000 win bonus)
• Ricardo Almeida - $23,000
• Chris Lytle - $14,000
• Gleison Tibau - $11,000
• Jorge Gurgel - $10,000
• Justin Buchholz - $8,000 (includes $4,000 win bonus)
• Corey Hill - $8,000
• Dennis Siver - $7,000
• Justin McCully - $5,000
All of that seems like a lot of money but when you slice a bunch of ways, like for trainers, gym fees, managers, etc, I bet $14,000 does not go so far, especially if you fight only twice a year.

On the other hand, I watched Liddell on Adam Corolla's show, and he rolled his eyes when Corolla mentioned De La Hoya's purse. Even MMA's superstars don't make as much as overrated boxers.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
All of that seems like a lot of money but when you slice a bunch of ways, like for trainers, gym fees, managers, etc, I bet $14,000 does not go so far, especially if you fight only twice a year.

On the other hand, I watched Liddell on Adam Corolla's show, and he rolled his eyes when Corolla mentioned De La Hoya's purse. Even MMA's superstars don't make as much as overrated boxers.
Agreed.

Most of the undercard guys are fighting an average of 4 times a year (3 month "camps" before each fight). I know up here, places like Team Quest have fighters that teach classes to cover things like gym fees and the trainers are part of the camp.

I know top fighters like Chuck train 10+ hours a day for a month or more before a fight. But if winning means $150k, I don't think motivation is an issue either.

<edit> The "6 figure contract" that guys get from winning the Ultimate Fighter show breaks down into a minimum of $10k a fight for 10 fights over 2 years. So the contract is for 6 figures at least, but it breaks down into $50k a year. Still more than most of the starting fighters make elsewhere, but not as sweet as it seems up front.

Of course there are the bonuses, too. A guy can easily make $100k a year with wins on the same contract.

Last edited: