Quantcast

MMcG, another bike for you or anyone else

Aug 1, 2006
Newtown, CT
Holy cow, that's a schweet deal! My next bike I think is going to be the Dos Niner. I hope I can get $800 or $900 for my Giant AC, turn around and get a Dos Niner frame, and sloooowly build it up.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Mark - I'd think hard about the Dos Niner - I think there are better alternatives out there. NOt that it is a bad frame, but I think there are better options. If you want it to be light - I'd go that Mamasita route, if you want cush, I'd go the route of a true full squish like an Astrix Monk, Van Dessel Jersey Devil or something along those lines.

Just my two cents.

Aug 1, 2006
Newtown, CT
Yeah, I know. I have time to ponder. Of course what I really want is the RIP9 but that is kind of out reach, even when I sell my 26er, assuming I can get a good price. I am happy with what I have right now but definitely want to get something more XC worthy with some cush at some point next year.

The Monkey

Chimp
Sep 3, 2006
Waterbury VT
The RIP is by far one of the best bikes I've ever owned. It was well worth the wait. Now that I have my Rampage tires on it, I think it will really start to deliver the giggles.
I am stoked to try out the Intense though. I should have a demo bike here the week after next, and we'll be doing a thorough test on it.

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I know that the Mamasita is running a bit different geometry than the Dos Niner. It's going to have a somewhat steeper head angle, which should give it snappier handling when coupled with a shorter offset fork like any Reba out there.

Salsa still hasn't locked in the front end geometry yet but I heard that the head angle on the show bike was 73 degrees. Much like the Intense Spider 29"er has.

My money is on the Mamasita for a quick handling, XC oriented 29"er.

Aug 1, 2006
Newtown, CT
I know that the Mamasita is running a bit different geometry than the Dos Niner. It's going to have a somewhat steeper head angle, which should give it snappier handling when coupled with a shorter offset fork like any Reba out there.

Salsa still hasn't locked in the front end geometry yet but I heard that the head angle on the show bike was 73 degrees. Much like the Intense Spider 29"er has.

My money is on the Mamasita for a quick handling, XC oriented 29"er.
Besides the increased HA, by a degree, what's the advantage of Mamasita over the El Marachi or the Dos Niner for that matter?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Mamasita should be lighter than the two other Salsa frames. It has to be I would think. It also features those sweet carbon seatstays.

It should be a wicked nice XC 29er race machine. However it wouldn't be the frame I'd choose for an all purpose 29er trail bike.

I think it is sweet though!! Very sexy frame!

Aug 1, 2006
Newtown, CT
The Dos Niner has carbon stays, too, so with the 1" of travel in the rear I would think you get a little advantage, at least anotomically, i.e. saving your back. Of course the HA on the Dos Niner might be a little retro, especially if the market is moving to 73 degrees now.

The Monkey

Chimp
Sep 3, 2006
Waterbury VT
The Dos has Scandium stays, they flex on the flat portion much like an airplane wing. The air shock on there is nothing more than a bottom out bumper. We have found that actually running zero air pressure and adding a piece of rubber pipe insulation to the slider portion of the shock improves the ride considerably.
Also, one of my racers, who is one fast dude and recovering roadie, complained that the handling on the Dos with 80mm was too twitchy. We upped his Reba to 100mm, and he feels that this makes an enormous improvement in the way this bike handles.
I am uncertain that steeper head tube angles are the answer, at least in Northern New England.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
The Dos Niner has carbon stays, too, so with the 1" of travel in the rear I would think you get a little advantage, at least anotomically, i.e. saving your back. Of course the HA on the Dos Niner might be a little retro, especially if the market is moving to 73 degrees now.
I personally would not want to ride a 73 degree head tube angled 29er frame around these parts.

shiggy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2006
PDX
AFAIK the final spec of the Mamasita has not been set. It may or may not have a 73*HTA and the HTA may vary with frame size.

Aug 1, 2006
Newtown, CT
The Dos has Scandium stays, they flex on the flat portion much like an airplane wing. The air shock on there is nothing more than a bottom out bumper. We have found that actually running zero air pressure and adding a piece of rubber pipe insulation to the slider portion of the shock improves the ride considerably.
Also, one of my racers, who is one fast dude and recovering roadie, complained that the handling on the Dos with 80mm was too twitchy. We upped his Reba to 100mm, and he feels that this makes an enormous improvement in the way this bike handles.
I am uncertain that steeper head tube angles are the answer, at least in Northern New England.
That's alot to consider. I didn't know the DN could take a 100mm front shock but I guess you can try anything. I'd like to see a pic of the modification you did to the rear shock.

So, by adding the 100mm reba, does that increase HA much? I thought I read on Guitar Ted's blog that HAs at 73 degrees improve maneuverability in the tech.

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
That's alot to consider. I didn't know the DN could take a 100mm front shock but I guess you can try anything. I'd like to see a pic of the modification you did to the rear shock.

So, by adding the 100mm reba, does that increase HA much? I thought I read on Guitar Ted's blog that HAs at 73 degrees improve maneuverability in the tech.
As for the 73 degree head angle, that only tells you a part of the story. You also need to factor in the fork offset, of which there are a few choices in and more will be coming. The detail that tells you more about handling is the trail figure, or the distance that the tire contact patch with the ground is behind an imaginary point where the steering axis intersects the trail surface. A greater distance = more trail, or in simplified terms, a more stable, less steerable bike. A shorter distance = less trail or twitchier, more manouverable bike. This is a gross exageration for the sake of example, but think of a shopping cart wheel. The steering axis is well ahead of the cart wheels contact patch with the floor and the wheel "trails" behind that pivot point.

So, there's a bit more to it than saying "it has a 73 degree head angle, so it steers like such and such."

Are ya with me? :twitch:

Aug 1, 2006
Newtown, CT
As for the 73 degree head angle, that only tells you a part of the story. You also need to factor in the fork offset, of which there are a few choices in and more will be coming. The detail that tells you more about handling is the trail figure, or the distance that the tire contact patch with the ground is behind an imaginary point where the steering axis intersects the trail surface. A greater distance = more trail, or in simplified terms, a more stable, less steerable bike. A shorter distance = less trail or twitchier, more manouverable bike. This is a gross exageration for the sake of example, but think of a shopping cart wheel. The steering axis is well ahead of the cart wheels contact patch with the floor and the wheel "trails" behind that pivot point.

So, there's a bit more to it than saying "it has a 73 degree head angle, so it steers like such and such."

Are ya with me? :twitch:

Gotcha