Quantcast

Mmm... Port!

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Warre's Warrior Port

I picked up a bottle at my local World Market for $14.00 based on a friend's recommendation. We found it deliciously sweet and smooth. It was the perfect follow-up to the Omaha steaks we had for dinner. We sipped our Warre's Warrior Port with a couple dark chocolate Hershey's Kisses left over from Valentine's Day. Port and chocolate is an excellent coupling.

This modestly priced Port is a good one for the novice pallet and is great for everyday enjoyment.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Hey N8.....just a heads up on some Port tidbits: At room temp(70 and above) port tends to get a little "volitile." Nah....it's not gonna smack you upside your dome or anything, but distinct flavors are lost in the warming of the wine. Try your serving temps between 65 and 68 degrees. A short amount of time in the fridge will get you right. Try it. It really does make a difference.

Although you probably enjoyed your chocolate with your port......you're doing yourself a bit of a disservice by "oversweetning" the taste with the sugars found in chocolate. If you really like the association of the port sweetness with something else sweet, then port is really enjoyable with fresh strawberries, mango, or any other fruit with naturally occuring sugars that are lighter tasting than the chocolate. The best way I've found to really enhance the taste of port is enjoy it with a variety of cheeses---Brie is off-the-chart-good as well as Hvarty, and any smoky-flavored cheeses. Also....don't overlook you plain-Jane cheddar. It's a fantastic complement and is good for "cleansing the palette" if you're sampling several different kinds of port.

To have the name "Port" or "Porto" on the bottle means that it should be a product of Portugal, but you can easily see when you go to your supplier that everyone uses the term on their product. There are plenty of growers all over the nation that make fantastic port wines......the best I've had so far is called "Phantom Port" and is made in the Finger Lakes region near Lake Seneca.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Greyhound said:
Hey N8.....just a heads up on some Port tidbits: At room temp(70 and above) port tends to get a little "volitile." Nah....it's not gonna smack you upside your dome or anything, but distinct flavors are lost in the warming of the wine. Try your serving temps between 65 and 68 degrees. A short amount of time in the fridge will get you right. Try it. It really does make a difference.

Although you probably enjoyed your chocolate with your port......you're doing yourself a bit of a disservice by "oversweetning" the taste with the sugars found in chocolate. If you really like the association of the port sweetness with something else sweet, then port is really enjoyable with fresh strawberries, mango, or any other fruit with naturally occuring sugars that are lighter tasting than the chocolate. The best way I've found to really enhance the taste of port is enjoy it with a variety of cheeses---Brie is off-the-chart-good as well as Hvarty, and any smoky-flavored cheeses. Also....don't overlook you plain-Jane cheddar. It's a fantastic complement and is good for "cleansing the palette" if you're sampling several different kinds of port.

To have the name "Port" or "Porto" on the bottle means that it should be a product of Portugal, but you can easily see when you go to your supplier that everyone uses the term on their product. There are plenty of growers all over the nation that make fantastic port wines......the best I've had so far is called "Phantom Port" and is made in the Finger Lakes region near Lake Seneca.
Never tried Phantom Port, but I am in basically complete agreement on every other suggestion. If I can, I toss the port in the fridge a bit and then let it warm up to taste. My favorite cheese is cheddar and (unfortunately), I do not like blue cheeses, which compliment port very well. In any case, chocolate and port is always good.

Coincidentally, I also have a bottle of Warre's Warrior in my kitchen. I've bought it a few times and am always impressed. It is widely available but quite good. It is my favorite for well priced port. Sandeman's is good as well but I still prefer the Warre's over it slightly (though, I admit, I have never done a side-by-side comparison, so who knows). Most others I've had in that range are decent. I think I was only really disappointed once, but I cannot for the life of me remember what the name was. I bought it a month or two ago. It was AWFUL. Looked like cough medicine (orange), tasted like it too.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
what's w/ the robot?

when my oldest son was born in 2000, i bought a bottle (dow's maybe?) of vintage porto for him to enjoy down the road.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
N8 said:
Warre's Warrior Port
This modestly priced Port is a good one for the novice pallet and is great for everyday enjoyment.
Try Warre's white port.... really nice, even if it's not what most people look for when drinking a port.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Port is like Champagne. It can only come from Portugal (like Champagne can only come from Champagne France) but other countries use the name Port like it is a varietal. So true Port, can only come from Portugal.

...& yes, Port is great. I like a glass & a little black cavendish in my pipe.