Quantcast

Mmmm Candy Red 07 Demo

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Specialized uses the word "sub-seatstay" to decsribe the demo linkage FWIW. It's just semantics though. The bottom line is it allows for the short rear end as compared to the Big Hit which is also a horst link 4-bar but sans sub-seatstay resulting in a much longer stay.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
The seat tube on the demo's is not positioned like a traditional seat tube, it's placed farther forward. This is what makes the bike ride so awkward.

My '06 Medium has a 13.75" BB, and doesn't feel nearly as sketchy as my old small or small/med. I'm going to get a new, shorter DHX shock and lower my fork down a little more to 6.5" and see how she rides. Right now it's got the fork at 7" and the stock shock in the low position. A longer stem is a good idea with these bikes, along with a short fork, in order to get more weight over the front wheel. If I could do three modifications to this bike, I'd lengthen the chainstays, slide the seat tube back to the traditional spot, and lighten things up.

The Demo is a good bike, but will be more huck than ever for '07.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
WTF? How can the position of the seat matter to how it rides on a DH bike? You're STANDING UP, where the seat is (and thus the actual top tube length) has absolutely no bearing on how the bike rides.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
thaflyinfatman said:
WTF? How can the position of the seat matter to how it rides on a DH bike? You're STANDING UP, where the seat is (and thus the actual top tube length) has absolutely no bearing on how the bike rides.

Dude, I thought you were a smart engineer type. Seat tube angle and positioning has a TON to do with how the bike rides. In the case of the Demo, the seat tube is farther forward than on most bikes, thus placing the short top tube pretty far in front of the BB. This is why the wheelbase is so long, yet the bike has short cs and tt lengths. This is why the bike feels so goofy compared to a DH race bike.

Also, if you are never sitting on your DH bike, you're missing out on those tight corners you can sit down through and moto around.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
punkassean said:
Specialized uses the word "sub-seatstay" to decsribe the demo linkage FWIW. It's just semantics though. The bottom line is it allows for the short rear end as compared to the Big Hit which is also a horst link 4-bar but sans sub-seatstay resulting in a much longer stay.
i am confused. how does the "sub-seatstay" (i'll go with this if it is what specialized uses in their literature) create a shorter rear end? the SX Trail frame does not have the sub-seatstay, but it looks to have a short chainstay. how similar are the geometry numbers (the tables on specialzed's website won't come up for me)? it would seem to me that the benefits of the sub-seatstay are increased stiffness and different shock mounting. i am not even sure the shock mounting location is a better option, but i have no engineering background.

bikenweed said:
The seat tube on the demo's is not positioned like a traditional seat tube, it's placed farther forward. This is what makes the bike ride so awkward.
the evil imperial has a more forward seat tube and nobody complains about it. same with the kona stab and the cove shocker.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
bikenweed said:
Dude, I thought you were a smart engineer type. Seat tube angle and positioning has a TON to do with how the bike rides. In the case of the Demo, the seat tube is farther forward than on most bikes, thus placing the short top tube pretty far in front of the BB. This is why the wheelbase is so long, yet the bike has short cs and tt lengths. This is why the bike feels so goofy compared to a DH race bike.

Also, if you are never sitting on your DH bike, you're missing out on those tight corners you can sit down through and moto around.
Uh, no, it has nothing to do with how the bike RIDES unless you're sitting on it. I rarely do that on a DH run. Infinitely more relevant is the position of the BB relative to the bars and axles. And yes rather obviously the actual TT length can be whatever the hell it wants without having anything to to do with wheelbase or chainstay lengths or how long the bike actually feels when you're aboard in a realistic riding position.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
bikenweed said:
This is why the bike feels so goofy compared to a DH race bike.
Do you pay any attention at all to how many fast racers choose a Demo 8 as their race bike? Guys who could ride pretty much any bike they choose to race yet still choose the Demo 8. I wonder if you consider V10s, M3s, and DHR's race bikes, because I know of guys who had those and are now on Demo 8's because they like them better. Ask Keene and Herndon if their DH bikes feel "goofy" to them. You might have a hard time getting in touch with them though, because they are getting ready for Worlds, which they qualified for on thier goofy little bikes.:clue: :)
Also, the changes that were made to the 07 Demo 8 were all done to make it more of a race bike. Lighter weight, slacker head angle,
rearward axle path and a different suspension rate etc...
I do find it odd that they made the chainstays a little shorter, so I wonder if the wheelbase is shorter as well. But either way, its a race bike.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Jeremy R said:
I do find it odd that they made the chainstays a little shorter, so I wonder if the wheelbase is shorter as well. But either way, its a race bike.
If that's the case, and I won't bother B with asking him about it, I assume the more rearward wheel path would revert to this years numbers as it moved through the travel. Since the wheelbase essentially grows more on a rearward travel bike as it goes into travel initially, it would "grow" to current chainstay length upon actuation?

Note: non-scientific observation....brahhh...:clue:

ilfreerider

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
israel
saw the geo (m size) toady and was a bit suprised :

d7:
65 ha
14.2 bb
46.65 wb

d8:
64 ha
14.4 bb
46.57 wb

i wonder if those small differences indicate that it is the same frame , and the only diff's are the shock shuttle and fork ?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Wow, there the D7 looks like it has better racing geo.

Also, Bikenweed nailed it on why this bike feels a bit funky. It's got short chainstays and a short TT with a steep HA, but sense that "dead zone" is there it also has a really long wheelbase. So it feels sketchy at speed yet it's hard to lift the wheels quicky over stuff.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
trumbullrider said:
i like it for some reason
Yeah...people's heads are wrapped around numbers. Ride this bike and talk to me about it later.

"race geometry #'s" are crap. This bike turns faster than anything I've ever owned. And calling the '06 head angle steep is just silly.

Let's all eat pie and dance.

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
I personally liked the aesthetics of the old demo 8, but the numbers on this bike are pretty apealing.

ilfreerider

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
israel
saying that a demo 8 is choppy at high speed is so far from reality that its not even funny.
i rode a lot of dh bikes (v10,dhr,sunday...) and it was one of the best (if not the best).
if somone think that a bike will be stable based on its cs length ,than think again.

some guys should stop describing how a bike rides based on spec charts ,its just ridiculous.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
That's funny, 'cause my Demo is going on its 2nd year. I have ridden it for a long time, and I ride every single day a lot of the year in SoCal here.

It's a good bike. It's just a bit funky. That said I can't see replacing mine any time soon unless it's a Morewood or a Commencal.

speed racer

Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
GA
if y'all wanna get tech about it, it is a 2nd chainstay. the interview section at the end of the Roam interviews the kid who designed the suspension. he specified that his goal was to have a horst-link with a chainstay actuated shock mount. i don't care what you call it. i still won't ride one.

Then you're missing out on one of the best riding bikes around. Especially mated to a Cane Creek Double Barrel. You really should give it a try sometime. You never know!!!

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Way to bring up an ancient thread to give advice to someone who JUST bought a Transition Bottlerocket. Bravo, really. I bet you make your sponsors proud.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Way to bring up an ancient thread to give advice to someone who JUST bought a Transition Bottlerocket. Bravo, really. I bet you make your sponsors proud.
ease up on Speed Racer. He's one of the nicest guys you'll EVER meet. He is an awesome guy and stoked on his ride. He is far from sponsored. He rides for pleasure only.:bonk:

speed racer

Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
GA
Sorry. Seemed like a sponsor plug to me but nevermind. My bad.

Who do you drum for?
No worries,
I just finished doing some stuff with "The Wreckers" a 2 girl country duo. Should be with Katrina Elam in the fall/Spring. They are all touring with Rascal FLatts, Brad Paisley, etc.. Pretty fun. I do alot of session work on the albums themselves. That and writing. That is where the money is. Have funm and you should try a Demo 8 with a CCDB. :brows: JK, but seriously!!

SPrider

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
gotta love demos, theres to many winers out there, just ride your bike. the demo works well enough for people going to worlds but not enough for the average rider hmmm....

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
If you're going to the worlds it doesn't matter what you're riding you're gonna be fast.

If a consumer is buying a bike they may as well buy their favorite, or the one that suits them best.

The beauty of capitalism right there.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
gotta love demos, theres to many winers out there, just ride your bike. the demo works well enough for people going to worlds but not enough for the average rider hmmm....
When it comes down to the nuts and bolts of it, you're going to go roughly the same speed on pretty well any modern DH bike provided you have time to get used to it and set it up the way you want to. However I like having a bike that's fun to ride and does what I want regardless of whether it really makes much difference to my race times, and if I'm gonna spend several thousand dollars doing it, damn right I'm gonna buy the one that I feel rides the best.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Most of the people on this board cant go fast enough to actually tell if a bike works well for DH anyway. I have ridden and raced quite a few bikes, and the demo isnt perfect, but it a great cornerer and a decent all around performer. It's also probably the best deal for a top end DH bike right now.

To go back to a previous argument, CS length DOES have an effect on cornering and the Demo 8 is in fact on the short side. Theoretically this will casue the bike to slide more easily and more unpredictably. On the Demo this is helped by having a fairly low BB, but it is still a debatable aspect of the geo. The 06 model actually measures out to 17 inches even, which is slightly different from the claimed length of 16.85 on the website. On the other hand the shorter CS will actually help cornering in the slower, tighter corners. The HT angle of 66 is perfectly fine. I could go for a 65 or so, but much slacker than that and I feel that you lose to much precision for the slower stuff to make it worthwhile. If we had alot of fast tracks to ride in the US I might feel differently, but really there's only a couple where you get going enough to make a 64 or slacker feel at home.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
When it comes down to the nuts and bolts of it, you're going to go roughly the same speed on pretty well any modern DH bike provided you have time to get used to it and set it up the way you want to. However I like having a bike that's fun to ride and does what I want regardless of whether it really makes much difference to my race times, and if I'm gonna spend several thousand dollars doing it, damn right I'm gonna buy the one that I feel rides the best.
not exactly true...... i rode a yeti dh9 for four years and was constantly being held back by it and not riding to my full potential on it. then i hoped on a buddies m1 and felt wayyy better. then i moved onto the next season abroad a sinister r9 and fell in love. i was faster, smoother, and just an all around better rider on it. bikes suspension design, geo, weight, and all that other jazz all add up to how it rides for one person to the next. what might work for one might not work for the next.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
not exactly true...... i rode a yeti dh9 for four years and was constantly being held back by it and not riding to my full potential on it. then i hoped on a buddies m1 and felt wayyy better. then i moved onto the next season abroad a sinister r9 and fell in love. i was faster, smoother, and just an all around better rider on it. bikes suspension design, geo, weight, and all that other jazz all add up to how it rides for one person to the next. what might work for one might not work for the next.

You're actually just agreeing with my point there (well, mostly) - unless your race results have seen a sudden jump since you changed bikes, then you're simply proving that while you CAN go a similar pace on most bikes, it's easier and more fun on some than others.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
I won't lie. I'm friggin honest. Since I've gotten on DH bikes almost 10 years ago...I have only been disappointed by 1 bike!! It was the Rocky Mtn RM9 complete bike with Marzocchi Shiver. The suspension wasn't a disappointment at all...but boy did geometry and flex make that bike a masterful turd.
Steep head angle...knee banging top tube length...silly long swingarm that flexed so bad it wouldn't TURN b/c the wheel was wiggling so much and a 15 inch BB height to add to it.

I've had an Uzzi DH, 4 very different Turners in 4 separate seasons and now a Demo 8. Each year, the bike handled better, was lighter and more comfortable than the year before. Each year, they get more durable and quite frankly almost faster than I can hold on for!

Suspension technology and long term usage, feedback and materials are really leveling the playing field. You've got 5 main suspension concepts:
1. High single pivot - Morewood, Orange, Haro, Cannondale, etc.
2. Love single pivot - Turner, Chumba, Rotec, Sinister, Diamondback, Kona, Foes, etc
3. 4 Bar - Specialized, Ellsworth, etc
4. VPP - Intense, Santa Cruz
5. anti-squat: dw-link, Iron Horse, Ibis, IF etc... (edited to avoid wrath of DW)

All of them have tiny things they do differently, but nothing magical that the new breed of shocks are directly attributed to making happen. You strap a '02 Stock Fox Vanilla and a Junior T on any of these World Cup level bikes...you've got nothing better.

Oh...and did I mention the Double Barrel on a 4 bar bike will blow your ever loving mind how insanely awesome it is.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Concentric pivot!! Blasphemy! :)

I sure hope that was a joke Butchy!

I prefer the term anti-squat to describe dw-link, so make 5. anti-squat: dw-link, Iron Horse, Ibis, IF etc...

heh