Quantcast

mmmm gemini

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Today I went into a shop where I'll be moving and was talking to them about bikes, and we got on the topic of FRish bikes and how I planned to buy one in the near future. They had a Bighit comp, but it was the 24 inch rear wheel version, and they're backordered to hell. So the dude was like "We've got a Gemini thats been used as a demo, let me bring it out". Its in awesome condition, most everything about it is awesome except for the fork and rear shock (mmm...full xt drivetrain and magura marta discs). It has the Lefty (I think the TI version) and a Fox propedal shock in the rear (don't know what kind...).

Anyways, they want 1700 bucks for it, which is arguably a smoking deal from what I've seen. I'd sell the Lefty and shock for something like a Jr T or sherman and a swinger coil, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to get enough cash out of them for new parts, including a new front wheel.

So I need the Monkey council's ruling on this...good deal or not?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Thats a sweet bike, but its a little too burly for my tastes. It has to be able to pedal up the mountain as well as scream down, and then the whole "but I don't get to ride it" factor...I'm a stickler on riding bikes before I buy them ;)

Edit: I'm also not a big fan of the 24 inch rear wheel stuff either...Thats why I overlooked the bighit they had.

SebringMGB

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Washington
1700 plus 400 of you go used on the fork, and 300 for the rear shock, rounding figures, 700 new fork, and 450 new rear shock, you are looking at 2400 - 2850 when the dust clears. to put that into perspective, a new gemini 2000 (with thru 12, swinger and super-t) at supergo is 2799, brand new. On the other hand, i bought mine at 3 months old, hardly ridden, a few chips on the frame, but otherwise perfect, with a dj1, for 1000, and put a 04 supert on it (used 400) there are better deals to be had if you are willing to buy a bike off someone. you may even be able to find a better build than you were thinking..... im not discouraging you from the shop bike, just sugesting you look around.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
But just think, you're only in SLC, im in colo, we could just meet in grand junction or something, lol. Also, you could always sell the Monster for a Slider+ or Trip8 or something like that. ;)

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
SebringMGB said:
1700 plus 400 of you go used on the fork, and 300 for the rear shock, rounding figures, 700 new fork, and 450 new rear shock, you are looking at 2400 - 2850 when the dust clears. to put that into perspective, a new gemini 2000 (with thru 12, swinger and super-t) at supergo is 2799, brand new. On the other hand, i bought mine at 3 months old, hardly ridden, a few chips on the frame, but otherwise perfect, with a dj1, for 1000, and put a 04 supert on it (used 400) there are better deals to be had if you are willing to buy a bike off someone. you may even be able to find a better build than you were thinking..... im not discouraging you from the shop bike, just sugesting you look around.
Thats where the selling the lefty and fox float come in...If I had to I'd buy a used fork/shock, but if memory serves me right, I've seen Leftys go on eBay for 600 bucks, and this one would be including the Lefty specific hub laced to mavic...something freeride rim...wheel :blah:

Not sure about the shock, I wonder if anybody would trade me straight across for a Swinger 4 way coil?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
The Lefty on it, although it also seems to have ELO (lockout).
---

HEADSHOK LEFTY MAX TPC PLUS

* 130MM TRAVEL
* TELESCOPING NEEDLE BEARING ASSEMBLY DELIVERS INCREDIBLE HANDLING AND STEERING PRECISION
* EXTERNALLY ADJUSTABLE REBOUND AND COMPRESSION DAMPING
* LIGHTWEIGHT TITANIUM COIL SPRING
* LOW PRESSURE OPEN BATH COMPRESSION DAMPING WITH TPC PLUS
* WEIGHT - 4.5 LBS/2.043kg

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
xbluethunderx said:
The Lefty on it, although it also seems to have ELO (lockout).
---

HEADSHOK LEFTY MAX TPC PLUS

* 130MM TRAVEL
* TELESCOPING NEEDLE BEARING ASSEMBLY DELIVERS INCREDIBLE HANDLING AND STEERING PRECISION
* EXTERNALLY ADJUSTABLE REBOUND AND COMPRESSION DAMPING
* LIGHTWEIGHT TITANIUM COIL SPRING
* LOW PRESSURE OPEN BATH COMPRESSION DAMPING WITH TPC PLUS
* WEIGHT - 4.5 LBS/2.043kg
Not sure if you'll be able to get $600 off of the Lefty...:rolleyes:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Hey...the lower DLR Lefty is being sold on eBay for 415 Pounds, and with the exchange rate and everything. Theres also a carbon ELO lefty thats up to 567$ with 5 days left :o

RatAgain

Chimp
Mar 11, 2004
Chelmsford, MA
if you do go for the gem i strongly recommend checking out the manitou slider plus. i run it on my gem and i love it. though i have a fox vanilla rc on mine i wish i had a swinger like the newer gems come with. i love everything about my bike after i got the slider and an e13 guide.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Yep, thats the exact same bike, SebringMGB. They said the retail on it was 3 grand.

How strong would that Lefty be for FR type stuff? its got 130mm of travel and from what the C'Dale site says, its pretty beefy. If I could just swap out the rear shock I think I'd be okay...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Wow, I read reviews on it and it really doesn't seem like it'd be all that bad for FR stuff. The Lefty will hold up, not sure about the Fox though. Maybe I could just beat the hell out of it and then get a Swinger.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Hmm...with that price at Supergo...The place that has it is actually more of a sporting goods place with a big cyclery, and its a demo rig. I bet I could talk them down to around 1500, the frame is a bit messy. I actually may end up working for them...who knows.

derekbob

Monkey
Sep 4, 2003
Chico
$1700 sounds a bit steep, $1500 out the door would be a great deal tho. Flashing 1500 dollars cash infront of someone can work wonders.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
derekbob said:
$1700 sounds a bit steep, $1500 out the door would be a great deal tho. Flashing 1500 dollars cash infront of someone can work wonders.
I agree. Always show the guys cash. I managed a shop for a while and not always but often if the cash was there it was out the door. If no bikes had gone out that day you had a good chance at a deal. ;)

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Okay, so a guy up in Park City has a Bullit complete with Monster T and a sweet FR/DH kit that he'll sell me for 1750...So tempting...

May 9, 2003
Burien at Crappiss' House
My GF's Fox Float equipped Gemini has been hucked and dropped by both her, and myself, quite spiritedly. It's seen both the A-Line rock drop and the GLC, and has yet to explode. For what it's worth. We just got done putting an 02' Super T on it and man is that thing sweet! Enjoy the Crackandfail, it's a tight bike. I say ride the Lefty until it performs a sudden energetic disassembly, then start shopping, secure in the knowledge that you're a real macho man. Need a Breakout, by the way? We got one lying around here, cheep!

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
xbluethunderx said:
Okay, so a guy up in Park City has a Bullit complete with Monster T and a sweet FR/DH kit that he'll sell me for 1750...So tempting...
I have never ridden a gemini but have ridden Laura's Bullit alot. I love that bike. I think if I ever got a full squish it would be a bullit.