Quantcast

Mmmmmmmmm

Jul 28, 2003
Eat, ME
Last weekend I had a VERY lazy day watching TV and finishing some chores. I stayed tuned to Man vs Food. The trip to Amarillo, TX sparked something that had lain dormant for a long time: what the fough is chicken fried steak?

Anyway, I made chicken fried steak tonight and now I know why it is Texas comfort food. I need to work on a few things, but I can see a recipe worthy of Texas pride in the future

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Country fried steak is so gooooooooood. More southern than texan. I would love a good one right smothered in gravy with mashed potatoes & fried okra....:drool:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Quick search found this. Apparently they are different:

I've always been curious to know myself — so you can imagine my delight when The New York Times and Southern food expert John T. Edge answered my own personal burning question.

To many Americans, the terms "chicken fried steak" and "country fried steak" are used interchangeably to describe steak that's been pounded, coated and fried, and served with gravy. But there is a regional distinction, Edge maintains: Country-fried steak is a "pan-Southern" dish — a dish that sort of embodies the cuisine of the collective South — and is usually simmered in gravy. Chicken fried steak is a Texas variation that's fried and served alongside creamy gravy.

Other authorities contend that chicken fried steak, a favorite in Texas, Arkansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma, is deep-fried in the manner of fried chicken, as opposed to country fried steak — popular in Alabama, Kentucky, Mississippi, and the Carolinas — which is dredged and then pan-fried in gravy. And although the gravy in country fried steak may be brown or white, chicken fried steak is served with a white pepper gravy.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Quick search found this. Apparently they are different:

I've always been curious to know myself — so you can imagine my delight when The New York Times and Southern food expert John T. Edge answered my own personal burning question.

To many Americans, the terms "chicken fried steak" and "country fried steak" are used interchangeably to describe steak that's been pounded, coated and fried, and served with gravy. But there is a regional distinction, Edge maintains: Country-fried steak is a "pan-Southern" dish — a dish that sort of embodies the cuisine of the collective South — and is usually simmered in gravy. Chicken fried steak is a Texas variation that's fried and served alongside creamy gravy.

Other authorities contend that chicken fried steak, a favorite in Texas, Arkansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma, is deep-fried in the manner of fried chicken, as opposed to country fried steak — popular in Alabama, Kentucky, Mississippi, and the Carolinas — which is dredged and then pan-fried in gravy. And although the gravy in country fried steak may be brown or white, chicken fried steak is served with a white pepper gravy.
I have had both but never knew the distinction and lived 30 years in the south and worked at a greasy spoon even.

I much prefer chicken fried steak although country fried steak is good too....just doesnt have that fried crunch.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I have had both but never knew the distinction and lived 30 years in the south and worked at a greasy spoon even.

I much prefer chicken fried steak although country fried steak is good too....just doesnt have that fried crunch.
Yeah to me it's all about the combination of the batter crunch and the white gravy. So given a choice, guess I'm a chicken fried guy.