Quantcast

Mo Money

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
sirknight6 said:
I'd like to get money for VA...OMG how awesome would that be?

In principle if MD gives money to MORE, that frees up money that MORE would otherwise dedicate to MD for VA.

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
If MD figured out that their contribution freed up moneys to be used in another state they might look unfavorably at future funding. Dont you think?

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Msisle Dad said:
If MD figured out that their contribution freed up moneys to be used in another state they might look unfavorably at future funding. Dont you think?
I doubt it was even considered. I'd assume MORE's operating budget is pretty small. I know that MD gubmint folks have been on rides on MD trails with some of the MORE folks. I'd like to think they had an A-Ha moment: these folks accomplished this with very limited resources, imagine what they could do if we gave them dedicated funding to be spent in our state...

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
What does this kind of money usually pay for? I know most of the labor is volunteer effort from MORE members and others. Does this $100k go to equipment rental, buying land, tools, lunch, materials for stunts, MORE board members, or paying off bureaucrats? (jk about the last bit)

In all seriousness, where does this kind of money usually get spent?

Oh, and I say keep anything allocated to MD in MD. We just need to get VA on the same wavelength as MD.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
peter6061 said:
What does this kind of money usually pay for?.
From the article BikeGeek posted:

"being used for trailbuilding at Rosaryville State Park, trail education for land managers, and planning for a new trail system at Patuxent River State Park."

I know for a fact that part of last year's money went to pay Rich Edwards from IMBA to come out for a few weeks to run the big trail building equipment at Rosaryville. And the new trail in the works at Rosaryville is supposed to be MTB specific and have advanced trail features (stunts) so there you go. Money very well spent.

For MORE on the subject see last year's news: http://www.more-mtb.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2619

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
I say keep the money flowing in MD. We are definitely more spoiled with great trail networks here in VA. Hopefully we can pull our own funds out of VA eventually. I wouldn't be surprised if MORE is already working on this. Actually, I'm sure MORE is always working on this. The attention VA really needs if for the freeriders. I'm really an XC guy myself, and this state is loaded with great single track. While I'll always welcome more XC trails, I think we can bear to share the wealth with a definitely under recognized portion of the MTB community in this state. A lot of XC riders could stand to learn quite a bit from trying out some FR trails.