Quantcast

Mo to the Z, heading to Morzine/Chamonix in August

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Haven't been there in 9 years, any of the monkey crew got any tips?
Planing on a mix of biking and sport climbing.

Bikingwise, is there much in the area that's NOT bikepark/flow/jump?
I'm usually more in favour of rocky, rooty slow to mid speed tech.
and have any of you done much in the way of rock climbing around that area?

Land in Geneva on the 19th and bail on the 30th.

C. Alshus

Chimp
Oct 9, 2004
Oslo, Norway
Morzine is still a nice place, but the trails in Super Morzine have been closed for a few years now. The Classic trails of Les Lindarets, Les Gets are still the same. Chatel is much larger than in 2010. Morgins as well. But its much more bombed than it used to be.

I would rent a car at the airport and drive to Samoëns (the valley next to Les Gets. ) Steep hills. Excellent DH. Lookes like Morzine did ten years ago.

Aosta/Pila in Italy. Park your car in Aosta and take the gondola to Pila. There is a bike park in Pila and an amazing trail all the way down to Aosta. 1200 meters vertical. Stay in Aosta. Its a mid size town. Great restaurants and gelato.

La Thuile. Great if you have an enduro-bike. Not so good on a DH bike. Steep.

Bourg Saint Maurice/ Les Arcs. Just over the mountain from La Thiule. Works both on DH and endurobike. Park your car in Bourg St Maurice and take the train (800m vertical) to the top. Bike Park on the top. Its a bit wide spread, but offers good riding. The trail down to Bourg ST M. is so good. Lift pass is cheap. https://en.lesarcs.com/bikepark.html

Finale Ligure. Excellent riding. You need a guide and a shuttle to ride here. Around €50 per day. Do one or tho days. Its worth it. Great on a enduro-bike. I did it on a DH bike. It works, but normally its not steep enough and you need to pedal a lot.

This is a start. There are better places to ride than in Portes Du Soleil, imho.