Quantcast

Moab and Fruita in April - need the info

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Tickets were booked today for an "R&D" trip west. I've never ridden in that area before so fill me in. Who's been there? Any particular trails to ride? We probably won't ride every day so is there something we shouldn't miss? 3 of 5 going have been to Moab before but none of us have been to Fruita.

We're flying in to Denver by the way.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Rental vehicle to head west. Probably ship our bikes to one of dealers in the area and pick them up. Don't know why Denver was picked, not my decision. I do know flights were a little more pricey than we were originally planning on so that may have been the deciding factor.

I hear there is good riding in Grand Junction as well and that would be on the way, correct?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
GJ is near Fruita, but I can't imagine anything in GJ being half as good in Fruita.

Ride Colorado National Monument... that was a joke since it's for roadies :blah:

Post up in the CO forum for trail advice.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
LordOpie said:
GJ is near Fruita, but I can't imagine anything in GJ being half as good in Fruita.

Ride Colorado National Monument... that was a joke since it's for roadies :blah:

Post up in the CO forum for trail advice.

use more imagination. ;)

some extremely good stuff in GJ. i now normally do a ride of the mary's loop stuff one day, and then spend the rest of the time in GJ......

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
LordOpie said:
Ditto, Scrub's point.

GJ has a bunch of really good tech rides like The Ribbon, Eagle's Wing/Nest, Gunny, Holy Cross, Lemon Squeezer, etc. that are as good, or better, than many Fruita rides.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
MisterClean said:
That looks like a commercial to me. Gene may know how to ride, but he doesn't know as many of the trails in the area as a lot of the locals because he has not lived there long enough. Try the people at OTE for Fruita info.
Ya, sure. It's an ad. :rolleyes:

he has lived there for what, 5 years now? Gimme a break. Next time, try and offer useful information instead of just talking out of your ass. Do y ou live there? If so, why not post some useful information to help Mike, instead of simply berating people who are actually trying to help?

He asked for info, Gene is a better place for info then random people in the forum who do not live there. He may not know all the trails, but he can clearly offer information to help get the OP on his way.

He also clearly has a better idea then the OP, seeing as he was asking for help and does not live there nor has he ever been there.

edit: why the hell would I post an ad for someone else's business anyways?

MisterClean

Monkey
Jan 20, 2006
SoCal Supermarket Shelves
Transcend said:
Ya, sure. It's an ad. :rolleyes:

he has lived there for what, 5 years now? Gimme a break.
No, you give me a break. I lived in Mesa County for ten years and know a lot of trails that Gene will probably Neveride. He jumped on the bandwagon about 6 years after it left the depot. People like Troy Rarick, Kevin Foote, Jon Rizzo, and Pete Harris are much more of an authority than Gene is.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
MisterClean said:
No, you give me a break. I lived in Mesa County for ten years and know a lot of trails that Gene will probably Neveride. He jumped on the bandwagon about 6 years after it left the depot. People like Troy Rarick, Kevin Foote, Jon Rizzo, and Pete Harris are much more of an authority than Gene is.
That's great, thanks for posting all that useful information then Mr Know it all!

Your posts will certainly help Mike out more then calling Gene will.

Wha...more people moved here. They are jumping on the bandwagon and are not harcore. Get out of my sandbox!

Seriously, are you this bitter that someone else moved into town?

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
MisterClean said:
So someone that showed up after you deserves no respect? I do not get that mentality???
So does everyone that buys a bike after you not allowed to ride, or be asked how they like their bike, or.....

I think people are getting less smart in my old age.

MisterClean

Monkey
Jan 20, 2006
stiksandstones said:
So someone that showed up after you deserves no respect? I do not get that mentality???
So does everyone that buys a bike after you not allowed to ride, or be asked how they like their bike, or.....

I think people are getting less smart in my old age.
Try putting words in the mouth of someone else, chum. I never said Gene deserves no respect, I only said that there are others who know much more about the trails in Mesa County, suggesting a shop to inquire at, as well as individual names. Why don't you ask Gene why he moved to Fruita? Ask him why he didn't move there in 1995 while you are at it. Maybe because there was nothing happening in Fruita in 1995?

MisterClean

Monkey
Jan 20, 2006
Transcend said:
That's great, thanks for posting all that useful information then Mr Know it all!

Your posts will certainly help Mike out more then calling Gene will.
Wow, maybe I should have posted those person's email addresses so the OP can email all of them. If you can read, I suggested visiting OTE for trail information as well. Maybe I should post GPS waypoints for every trail in Western Colorado.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
MisterClean said:
Try putting words in the mouth of someone else, chum. I never said Gene deserves no respect, I only said that there are others who know much more about the trails in Mesa County, suggesting a shop to inquire at, as well as individual names. Why don't you ask Gene why he moved to Fruita? Ask him why he didn't move there in 1995 while you are at it. Maybe because there was nothing happening in Fruita in 1995?
You seem like an amazing piece of work, but at your age I suggest not being so bitter towards people that have stolen your thunder.

Anyways, to the OP, try Gene I am sure he can point you in the right direction at least.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
MisterClean said:
Bitter much?

Again, how does this make him unqualified to help out the OP? Because he had a decent job and a nice place in Boulder?

Also listing names 3 posts later and an abreviation of a shop with no contact info for any of them, doesn't really help. You clearly came into the thread simply to bash someone saying they should contact Gene for some info.

If no one had responded, you wouldn't have posted anything more.

Seeinga s you live there, and have for 10 years, and are an obvious mine of knowledge (which you may possibly very well be), why don't you yourself post this information for Mike to use?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
MisterClean said:
Wow, maybe I should have posted those person's email addresses so the OP can email all of them. If you can read, I suggested visiting OTE for trail information as well. Maybe I should post GPS waypoints for every trail in Western Colorado.
Again, I have BEEN to Fruita, and don't even know what OTE is.

Maybe posting something like this would have been helpful:
http://www.otesports.com/

Over the edge sports, it's a bike shop in Fruita.

Posting random dude's name's isn't really going to help is it?

MisterClean

Monkey
Jan 20, 2006
stiksandstones said:
You seem like an amazing piece of work, but at your age I suggest not being so bitter towards people that have stolen your thunder.

Anyways, to the OP, try Gene I am sure he can point you in the right direction at least.
HAHAHAHA, stolen my thunder. That's a riot. Gene is of a different world than I am, so that's not possible.

Yeah, it would kill the OP to go by OTE and purchase a guidebook written by locals that supports the local mountain biking scene.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
MrClean is obviously looking for validation for a life less than satisfying.

Don't bother trying to communicate with someone like that :rolleyes:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
MisterClean said:
HAHAHAHA, stolen my thunder. That's a riot. Gene is of a different world than I am, so that's not possible.

Yeah, it would kill the OP to go by OTE and purchase a guidebook written by locals that supports the local mountain biking scene.
It's a bike forum, he posted for bike info. Christ, you need to switch to decaf.

MisterClean

Monkey
Jan 20, 2006
Transcend said:
Seeinga s you live there, and have for 10 years, and are an obvious mine of knowledge (which you may possibly very well be), why don't you yourself post this information for Mike to use?
It's pretty tough to figure out what OTE is when it comes to Fruita. I did post information, go to OTE and buy their guidebook.

MisterClean

Monkey
Jan 20, 2006
LordOpie said:
MrClean is obviously looking for validation for a life less than satisfying.

Don't bother trying to communicate with someone like that :rolleyes:
This, coming from someone who posts homophobic PMs to me. HAHAHAHA!

All of you self-proclaimed Fruita "experts" are a laugh a minute. Keep flailing, it's funny.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Let's recap, shall we?

-He talk's **** about people who aren't here.
-He claims to be on "whole other" level.
-He claims to know much more about the area then apparently anyone else.
-He refuses to share any of said knowledge
- Finally, he calls out a useful post and claims it is an "Ad", then clearly posts what he aknowledges is one for some trail guide.

Why don't you act your age instead of like a 3rd grader on the jungle gym?

Welcome to the ignore list.

MisterClean

Monkey
Jan 20, 2006
Transcend said:
Let's recap, shall we?
- Finally, he calls out a useful post and claims it is an "Ad", then clearly posts what he aknowledges is one for some trail guide.
Gene knows who I am and can take issue with it if he feels the need.

Please quote me where I claimed to be on a whole other "level". It was "worlds". His is the FR/DH world and I claim to not be a part of that world. Then again, that's probably too difficult for you to comprehend.

Please show where I claimed to know more. I named a few peple who I know have more area knowledge than Gene. Your reading comprehension really sucks.

I've shared plenty of knowledge with many people. Just because I don't post every little scrap of info I know (or as in many cases here "think" they know) it doesn' mean I dn't share what I may or may not know.

Useful in your world is a funny thing.

I'm glad I made it to your coveted ignore list. Your inability to read and comprehend was getting tiresome.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
MisterClean said:
Please quote me where I claimed to be on a whole other "level". It was "worlds". His is the FR/DH world and I claim to not be a part of that world. Then again, that's probably too difficult for you to comprehend.
Ever consider that the original poster may have been looking for the FR/DH goods? I'm not saying he was, but did you somehow know that he wasn't? Wouldn't this Gene dude be a better resource, then?

MisterClean said:
Your reading comprehension really sucks.
I've never seen anyone avoid simple questions like you do. It's like YOU can't read.

MisterClean said:
I've shared plenty of knowledge with many people. Just because I don't post every little scrap of info I know (or as in many cases here "think" they know) it doesn' mean I dn't share what I may or may not know.
Your first post was pretty useless. Why not something like this:
Call these guys:
http://www.otesports.com/contact.cfm

Ask to talk to Troy.
?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Transcend said:
Let's recap, shall we?

Why don't you act your age instead of like a 3rd grader on the jungle gym?

amen.

MisterClean

Monkey
Jan 20, 2006
SilentJ said:
Your first post was pretty useless. Why not something like this:
<snip thoughtlessness>
Yeah, why don't we have every thomas, richard and harold call and specifically ask for Troy? Why do you think he wrote the guidebook? Do you think it may be because he doesn't have time to run a business and answer 100 questions a day about the trails? Your knee-jerk and thoughtless responses are funny. You may remain silent now, j.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
caputo1989 said:
Call me illiterate...but you made my list too.
There is no reason to be an ass on here unless you are joking arround ant the reciver knows it.
Unless the person you're being an ass to is loco, in which case, keep it up.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
wow, thread derail/poo flinging contest. well done, lads.

my two cents. i've only been in Moab, and these are the trails we did:

flat pass
moab rim
slickrock
porcupine rim (shuttle)
amasa back
bartlett wash
burro down (the hazard county stuff to kokopelli to porc rim, as a shuttle)
behind the rocks

all the rides were good to great, w/ the burro down being the best ride of the trip. bartlett was very cool, a lot better than slickrock i though. moab rim was a great descent too, loads of rocks and drops. flat pass was a good trail ride, and decent scenery. behind the rocks was super sandy, esp the last few miles.

hope this helped.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Thanks for getting things back on track narlus. I know the last time some of these guys went they did Slickrock, Amasa, and Porcupine. Burro sounds like a good time, is it a shuttled trail ride or a technical type descent like Moab rim?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
burro is a shuttle. we did it in '01 but i've heard that the original hazard county bit was closed (there were some cool drops and stuff). not sure if they re-opened a legal trail near or around it. anyway, it leads down to kokopelli's trail, which is a double-track w/ huge rain ruts. this gets you down to the upper part of porcupine rim (you cut up some of the climbing if you do this as a shuttle, as you start at a higher point).

the burro down bit starts i think near warner lake, and the terrain is much different in the la sals. think high altitude aspen stuff, not red rocks and dirt. it's nice to hit both in a single descent.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
MisterClean said:
Yeah, why don't we have every thomas, richard and harold call and specifically ask for Troy? Why do you think he wrote the guidebook? Do you think it may be because he doesn't have time to run a business and answer 100 questions a day about the trails? Your knee-jerk and thoughtless responses are funny. You may remain silent now, j.
My point clearly went miles above your head. How many posts did it take you to make any mention of said guidebook? Plus, I've never seen a guidebook be as useful as a one on one conversation with another guy. Wouldn't this Gene guy have this guidebook if it's the holy grail of the area?

How hard is it?:
Call these guys/go here:
http://www.otesports.com/contact.cfm

Get the guidebook.