Quantcast

Moab in January?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Can it be done?

I may have some time off. Ive done a little research, and word has it that highs average in the 40s. Thats not THAT bad.
Anyone ridden there in winter?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
It's absolutely doable. It could be complete $hit - then again, it could be 65 and perfect. I say throw the dice! Worst case you could always head down to that place nearish to Vegas - Beggar's Canyon or some such?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
For the past 3-4 years, a group of friends and I have always hit Moab in early February, and it's always a friggin' awesome time. Like SS said, it ~could~ be complete crap, but it could be 65 and perfect.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Full Trucker said:
For the past 3-4 years, a group of friends and I have always hit Moab in early February, and it's always a friggin' awesome time. Like SS said, it ~could~ be complete crap, but it could be 65 and perfect.
Pssst. Don't tell him there's a much better chance of it being perfect than it being crap. :p

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
Hey BS. Make a trip of it. I have been looking for an excuse to get the hell out of Cedar City. If Moab sucks you could always drive a little farther down here in teh Zion/Virgin/St. George area. You know the Red Bull Rampage? Anyway Southern Utah has some sick winter riding. That is about the only thing Southern Utah has going for it but anyway, I say go.

Mountain_Dewd

Monkey
May 30, 2005
whis
I rode there once in febuary, wasnt bad, most lower elevation trails were fine, and it was in the 50's a lot of the time. trails above like 6500 probably have snow though, which might be porcupine rim might not be doable...

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Mountain_Dewd said:
which might be porcupine rim might not be doable...
That would probably be the only trail that would be a must do for me if i was to go there...
i'm a "singletrack" feind, and i've heard the exposure is a little on the extreme side.:p

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Skookum said:
That would probably be the only trail that would be a must do for me if i was to go there...
i'm a "singletrack" feind, and i've heard the exposure is a little on the extreme side.:p

me and tn almost died on that trail. well not really but his pedal broke about 3 miles in and it took us about 4-5 hours to finish.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
laura said:
me and tn almost died on that trail. well not really but his pedal broke about 3 miles in and it took us about 4-5 hours to finish.
Ahhh it's rides like that, will stick in memories years to come. It's not like you guys were in a big hurry or anything.:p

So after the ride, did Freds one leg looked all Shwarzenegger'd out, with the other one normal? haha

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
Skookum said:
Overrated. As nice of a trail as Porcupine rim is, it really isn't that extreme.It would take quite a crash to go over the edge on that trail. It's a good trail but it isn't as crazy as some people make it out to be.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
gschuette said:
Overrated. As nice of a trail as Porcupine rim is, it really isn't that extreme.It would take quite a crash to go over the edge on that trail. It's a good trail but it isn't as crazy as some people make it out to be.

FOr sure. It's a great trail But it's not "super omfg".

There are a few spots new the highway though where it's pretty high up there and pretty narrow. You could conceivably fall off. I would say that gemini bridges is more sketchy.... the holes can come up on you pretty quick!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
gschuette said:
:stupid:

The trail itself isn't overrated, IMO - it's a *killer* fun ride. The "danger" aspect of the trail is definitely overrated. There's nothing particularly dangerous about it.

Great views, though.