Quantcast

Moab Questions

MisterClean

Monkey
Jan 20, 2006
SoCal Supermarket Shelves
laura said:
typo, colorado national monument.

i've been warned about you and you can add me to the list of people who doesn't appreciate your smart-assed-ness.
I'm wondering how that could have been a typographical error.

So is this a Surgeon General's warning? I'm not a pack of cigarettes, though some on the internet may find me as cancerous to various message boards.

When someone contradicts me about somewhere I lived and rode for ten years and has not lived there themselves, it's amusing. If I were to make some bold and uninformed statements about "a perpetual state of confusion", I would expect someone who has lived there to correct me.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
MisterClean said:
I'm wondering how that could have been a typographical error.

So is this a Surgeon General's warning? I'm not a pack of cigarettes, though some on the internet may find me as cancerous to various message boards.

When someone contradicts me about somewhere I lived and rode for ten years and has not lived there themselves, it's amusing. If I were to make some bold and uninformed statements about "a perpetual state of confusion", I would expect someone who has lived there to correct me.
You don't have to be a dick. You do have a choice in the matter.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
MisterClean said:
That's funny too. Why? The namecalling sets the tone for the irony of the second sentence.

Have a nice day.
Zing!

You've got to be kidding. "Dick" is a pretty good description of what kind of messages you leave, perhaps a mild one. There's no irony when what I am saying is warranted and true.

And, even if there is, are you going to tell me you're just being nice and civil? Oh, please...don't come back at me like I am the problem.

MisterClean

Monkey
Jan 20, 2006
SoCal Supermarket Shelves
JRogers said:
Zing!

You've got to be kidding. "Dick" is a pretty good description of what kind of messages you leave, perhaps a mild one. There's no irony when what I am saying is warranted and true.

And, even if there is, are you going to tell me you're just being nice and civil? Oh, please...don't come back at me like I am the problem.
Have a nice evening.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
OGRipper said:
Is there anything worth stopping for between SF and Moab (other than Tahoe)? We may drive straight on through but I like to explore off the path and we could be into a stopover for something unique. It looks nothing but a big void until you get to Salt Lake...?
Stop in Salt Lake...ride our glorious trails...marry some women...take them to Moab...

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
kidwoo said:
Where's tusher?
Tusher Canyon, Left and Tusher Canyon, Right. Lots of entrada sandstone. Killer views.

Any shop monkey or guide book should be able to point you there ( I got there via a roundabout way on "secret" routes and couldn't find it again without grabbing a trail map/guide book). I do know that it's North of town.

dandrain

Chimp
Apr 6, 2006
Denver, CO
Go camping in Cane Creek Canyon. plenty of places off the road by the river.

Sand Flats road is really nice but it is very busy road. Cane Creek is a little less crowded.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Sweet pics. My trip is still on and we are thinking we'll take that route.

BTW JSG, I rode Oat Hill last weekend and came home looking for pics...found 'em on your site. Good stuff!!

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
OGRipper said:
BTW JSG, I rode Oat Hill last weekend and came home looking for pics...found 'em on your site. Good stuff!!
All things considered, Oat is the best ride in the Bay Area, IMO.

I'm still sporting numerous poison oak scars from the six hours of brush clearing that we did there three weeks ago, in the lovely 40 degree pouring rain. The manzanita tunnels (especially the ones in the "backcountry") should be held at bay for at least a few years.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
It's too bad you can't go a couple of weeks earlier. Camping at Moab during a full moon is like being on the moon, plus you almost get two days in one because of the amount of light. Night hikes become very possible without headlamps or flashlights and the temperatures are a lot cooler.

Camping does not require reservations. There are a lot of spaces and legal areas that are not in "Campgrounds". Another need to know is the fact that there is a hostile on the edge of town that offers showers for $2-3, so camping outside of campgrounds becomes a lot more comfortable with this option. The local bike shops are good information centers as well, they are a reliable source for trail advice.

One last thing, if you are looking for a day off the bike and want to hike as well, the firery furnace in arches park is a great time. Normally it is a guided tour but if you go to the visitors center and request to watch the video for the unguided tour it is worth it. The video is less than 10 min and basically educates you on where not to step to avoid destroying hundreds of years of evolving sustainable soil. Once in the furnace there is tons of bouldering, exploring, and 100ft + cracks to climb through. It is basically a gigantic natural maze with incredible rock formations and arches ect. If you do go unguided, give your self time because you WILL get lost, not forever lost, but it is challenging to find your way out without destroying the environment. Have fun, Moab is surreal.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
justsomeguy said:
All things considered, Oat is the best ride in the Bay Area, IMO.

I'm still sporting numerous poison oak scars from the six hours of brush clearing that we did there three weeks ago, in the lovely 40 degree pouring rain. The manzanita tunnels (especially the ones in the "backcountry") should be held at bay for at least a few years.
Wow that was you? Looked like a huge amount of work, major props. It was my first time out there but our ride leader kept talking about how much had been cleared out. And I agree, that was some seriously fun stuff, definitely my kind of riding. I don't normally like the out-and-backs as much as a point-to-point, but in this case it was great to check out the descent instead of hitting it blind. Really interesting terrain up near the top, especially all green with spring and all.