Quantcast

Moab Report

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
So I spent a week in Moab and other parts of Utah and had a total friggin blast. It is an amazing and unique place to ride bikes, hike, paddle, and basically do anything outside. I'd been hearing about it for years, and since what I heard most was that is it unlike anything else I had a mix of expectations. I rode Slickrock, Amassa, Bartlett Wash, Porcupine Rim (twice), and Klondike Bluffs. We also did a couple hikes (Delicate Arch, Canyonlands, and out near Dead Horse Point), a tame Colorado river paddle, and some car exploring of the area, as well as a visit to an animal sanctuary in Kanab.

The weather was unusually cool for the first few days, which was a definite plus. By the time it really heated up I had a better feel for planning out there and scheduled around the hotter parts of the day.

I rode my heckler with DH tires and flat pedals all week, worked out great, no flats or mechanicals and there were only a few times when I wished for more squish.

We drove out from SF via Rt. 50, which deserves its moniker as the loneliest road in the US. Long, interesting in it's nothingness and (few) characters, and, well, long. Got in Sunday afternoon and did a little screwing around on Slickrock then hit the sack.

On Monday I rode Porcupine with two guys staying near me. Riding with strangers can be hit or miss and this turned out to be quite the gong show affair. We were supposed to start early but didn't get to the trail until about 10, and then it took forever - I did a lot of waiting, helping them fix mechanicals, etc. Still, it is an amazing ride and I had a blast, especially since I had plenty of time to ride fun sections more than once.

After a big grub down my girl and I drove into Arches and hiked out to Delicate Arch. Gorgeous, alien, surreal.

On Tuesday I ended up riding Porcupine again, this time with a different group that shuttled up to the newly-legit singletrack that starts at the top of Sand Flats Road and follows the rim of Castle Valley down to the top of Porcupine. This time I decided to just leave the group I was with and flow at my own speed...ahhh, much better. The whole thing took about 3 hours, including the ride back into town.

Tuesday night we rented a little rubber boat and did a 7 mile river float.

Wednesday I rode Bartlett and Amassa with a guide I met up on Porcupine. We got on really well and were close in riding abilities so it was good for us both. I had so much fun riding Bartlett, it is truly a place with endless ride possibilities - natural bowls, wall rides, booters and drops all over the place. Once I got used to riding the slickrock it was on. We ended up spending about 6 hours out there. Then we took a short break and hit up Amassa, which was also lots of fun. Here are a few pics of me riding Bartlett:

This is the view from the top of Amassa:

Minutes after we came down from Amassa we watched a dude do a full gainer base jump off a cliff we estimated to be about 600 feet – totally clean, crazy to watch.

On Thursday we rented a bike for my girl and did Klondike Bluffs. She'd never really done a mountain bike ride and it was really cool to take her on some tame slickrock out to a cool viewpoint. Thursday night was hiking out in Canyonlands and near Dead Horse Point.

On Friday I got up early and rode Slickrock, which was loads of fun if a little tame.

Friday afternoon we headed towards Kanab and found a great campsite at Navajo Lake. The freezing cold water and fresh lime margaritas were awesome after frying in the desert all week:

On Saturday we visited the Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Kanab, a bit of a concession to my girl for her putting up with me riding all week. I actually really enjoyed it.

Sunday we drove home via Vegas. We went through Zion and stopped for a killer breakfast before starting the long boring drive home, which basically sucked but at least I had good memories to savor.

Moab definitely delivered on the promise of being unlike anything I had ridden before. I missed out on some good trails (wanted to hit Sovereign and Portal but ran out of time) but felt like I got a good taste, and this trip definitely makes me want to go back.

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
that looks like fun, and the views look amazing.. thats good you had a lot of fun, bet you saw a ton of rock buggies

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
DUDE! I was JUST there! we missed each other by a day! I also rode slickrock, Porcupine (which was the best ride of my life) and Bartlett!!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Acadian said:
DUDE! I was JUST there! we missed each other by a day! I also rode slickrock, Porcupine (which was the best ride of my life) and Bartlett!!

Dang, would have been fun. Did you do a weekend strike or something?

Porc was a total blast, Bartlett was just a more unique ride experience for me. I've done stuff similar to Porc but nothing like Bartlett, felt like Mars or something.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
OGRipper said:
Minutes after we came down from Amassa we watched a dude do a full gainer base jump off a cliff we estimated to be about 600 feet – totally clean, crazy to watch.
Sounds like a great trip.

What's really cool about the BASE guys at that spot is the noise (BANG) that their chute makes when it deploys. The echoes off the walls are crazy.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Nice! I love Moab. If you like singletrack, make sure to hit Sovereign the next time you're there. What were the temps like?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
^^^Yep that's pretty much the spot. Cool pic, great light.

Timing worked out great for us that day. When we started the ride the jumpers were hanging around the parking lot. We rode up and down, taking time for pics and stuff, and when we got back to the lot, dude was just a couple minutes away from jumping.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
pixelninja said:
Nice! I love Moab. If you like singletrack, make sure to hit Sovereign the next time you're there. What were the temps like?
Yeah I wanted to hit sovereign (also portal, burrow, and...) but ran out of time. Temps were mid 80's (with a good breeze and a little haze) first couple days but then it got hellish, upper 90's low 100's, nowhere to hide. I took all the warnings seriously and never felt like I was in trouble but I can see how things could get very bad very quickly out there.

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
I guess lots of us were there recently. My wife and I rode SlickRock on Sunday of Memorial Day Weekend. Wanted to do Porcupine but we didn't have enough time since we had already spent 3 days riding in Fruita, Colorado. Next time we go back it'll be purely in Moab for several days. We absolutely loved the place.

Here's a couple shots, one of my wife going down Joe's Ridge in Fruita and one of me going up at Slickrock. I felt like I climbed walls on my RFX out there! We will be back, thinking my son's April vacation next spring.

Attachments

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I am pretty sure my girl and I met you in the parking lot that day. You two were packing up your bikes and we chatted a little bit about your trip. A green turner maybe? At that point we were on foot just scoping around.

RM's reach knows no bounds!