Quantcast

Moab road trip !!!

deftrip

Chimp
Feb 1, 2006
Me and a couple of friends are planning a trip to Moab in March.I've read about trails like porcupine rim and slickrock but i'm looking for more trails.We ride BIG bikes so we need serious downhill trails.It dont matter if need to shuttle them(we're bringin chicks for that).Tell me what you know.

tomacdaddy

Monkey
Feb 2, 2005
Minturn, CO
You can hike-a-bike to the top where the old lift used to go. There is an old FR park up there. Takes about 2 hours to get up there.
I think it is considered part of the North Rim Trail. I'll think about where it is.

Also, Bartlett Wash is a nice FR spot. The infamous Mushroom Rock.

Porcupine is an epic trail. Prepare to hike for a while before descending. I have done it several times on both my 9" bike and the trail bike. Tons of fun either way. TONS. Super tech pedal up.

DO NOT RIDE SLICKROCK.

tomacdaddy

Monkey
Feb 2, 2005
Minturn, CO
WAY TOO XC. Don't even bother. Keep going down Sand Flats Road (I think that's its name) and ride the Porcupine again.
The terrain is cool, but you can find the same slickrock with more FR features in Bartlett wash. And less people and by people I mean spandex.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
tomacdaddy said:
WAY TOO XC. Don't even bother. Keep going down Sand Flats Road (I think that's its name) and ride the Porcupine again.
The terrain is cool, but you can find the same slickrock with more FR features in Bartlett wash. And less people and by people I mean spandex.
There's a lot more pedaling than you think on P-rim. 3 miles up and then the end (2 miles of road back to town).

tomacdaddy

Monkey
Feb 2, 2005
Minturn, CO
Ascentrek said:
There's a lot more pedaling than you think on P-rim. 3 miles up and then the end (2 miles of road back to town).
tomacdaddy said:
Porcupine is an epic trail. Prepare to hike for a while before descending. I have done it several times on both my 9" bike and the trail bike.
Definately shuttle back.

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
I too will be in Moab for the first time third week of March. My company is timing a Half Marathon there and since I have never been there I am staying an extra day to ride. One day is not much but it is all I can swing. And I sure as hell am not going to leave there without putting rubber to dirt and pedaling!

What do you suggest for a sport XC rider. Since I think I might be by myself, I probably will want something on the conservative side, but want the "Moab experience" just the same.

Suggestions? Thanks!

nmjb

Monkey
Apr 26, 2005
Idyllwild, CA
deftrip said:
Me and a couple of friends are planning a trip to Moab in March.I've read about trails like porcupine rim and slickrock but i'm looking for more trails.We ride BIG bikes so we need serious downhill trails.It dont matter if need to shuttle them(we're bringin chicks for that).Tell me what you know.
I just got back from Moab today - the weather was perfect. I took my DH bike, but never really needed it. Like you, I was hoping to ride some shuttles/DH, but mostly rode my trail bike (still had a blast though).

Porc. rim had snow/mud for the first 2+ miles from the trailhead, but otherwise was good. Also, everything above porc. rim (that we saw) was covered with a few inches of snow. I rode my DH bike for porc. rim - it was fun, but I was wishing I had rode my trail bike- I had to push up ALOT of climbs that would have been fun on my trail bike. This was the only time I rode my DH bike the whole trip.

Amasa Back was awesome. :drool: The climb up is fun and technical and on the way back the DH is sweet. There are some cool drops / jumps. Based on the Moab trails I have ridden, Amasa Back is definitely my favorite.

This probably wasn't much help, but if your big bike has a granny gear and you don't mind pedalling, you should be able to find some fun stuff. Maybe my buddy that I went with will chime in, he knows more about Moab than I do.

BRIANBUELL

Monkey
Nov 17, 2005
Boulder, Colorado
riverside73 said:
I too will be in Moab for the first time third week of March. My company is timing a Half Marathon there and since I have never been there I am staying an extra day to ride. One day is not much but it is all I can swing. And I sure as hell am not going to leave there without putting rubber to dirt and pedaling!

What do you suggest for a sport XC rider. Since I think I might be by myself, I probably will want something on the conservative side, but want the "Moab experience" just the same.

Suggestions? Thanks!
If your only going for a day all these trails would work, of course slickrock, porcupine, amasa back, poison spider, bartlets wash, klondike bluffs, the soverign trail, Those are only a few if a ton more to choose from!