Quantcast

Moab Suggestions

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
My company is going to Moab to time an event 3rd week of March. Since I will already be there and have never been there before, I am not going to miss the opportunity to ride.

So, I need suggestions for XC trails that won't kill me (since I most likely will be by myself) but still give me the Moab experience. I am taking my shoes and pedals and renting a full suspension rig....not a big bike though. thanks in advance.

holliswood

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
University Place
If you are going for the "Moab experience" I would recomend the slickrock trail. There is nothing like it any where that I have been. It's crazy how much traction you get and you can climb crazy steep stuff as long as your legs can push through it. Plus the natural bowls and chutes are amazing!
Porcupine rim was my fav by far. If you don't want to do the climb up past the slockrock to get there, you can have somone drop you off at the trail head. It's a pretty easy climb to the lookout and then its a blast the rest of the way with lots of mixed terrain! Up, down, sketchy sections next to cliffs, fast and flowwy, and tight and techy. You get it all.
Have a great time!

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
First of all. How much time will you have? How far do you want to ride each day and will you have a car there to get you around?

Day 1: Slickrock. Do the practice loop CCW and then the main loop CCW as well. Will take longer than you think. Good to get you ready for everything else.
Day 2: Call Coyote Shuttle and have them take you up from the river to do Porcupine Rim. When the ride is over, drive over to Arches National Park for an afternoon hike. Good combo day. Many think Porc is the best. I personally liked Poison Spider/Portal better.
Day: 3 Sovereign Singletrack/Bartlett Wash. Another 1-2 punch that's pretty darn good. Hit Sovereign in the morning (out and back from Willow Springs) and then after lunch, drive a few miles to Bartlett. Make sure to drop in through the Mushroom rock.
Day 4: Amasa Back for some ledgy jeep road and nice views. Not my fave at all. But, fun.
Day 5: Poison Spider/Portal trail. Just make sure it's rained recently. This trail has the most sand. But, when damp, an awesome ride. Side trip to the arch above the river a must. I know someone who rode it. Portal is gool ol' nasty stuff. yes, walk your bike the two places where signed or you may just die. If you like super tech rocky descents, Portal is it. I loved that trail.
Day 6: Moab Rim. Your legs should be ok for the climb by now. Keep going out to the Hidden Valley. Killer Petroglyphs on the left wall as you crest the singletrack atthe end just before the meadow. Ditch the bike and walk up the ridge to your left. Huge panels there. Look left on your way back down at the old lift area for some gnarly singletrack parallelling the jeep road you climbed back to the cars.

Grub? The Baja Grill rules. Look for the blue bldg on the strip. Moab Brewery is popular and the Dead Horse Ale is good. Keep the glass.

There are great sources for help on mtbr.com's Utah page. Plus a bazillion people have posted thier trips on the web if you just do some google searching. Paul Andrews has some awesome video that stoked me on Sovereign in particular.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Amasa back is my favorite. It's an out and back which means you get a fun techy climb and then you get to come down the decent you just scouted.
It's not super long either. Porc Rim is good but if you want to do the whole thing yourself, you better be in shape.