Quantcast

Moab Trip Report

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Oh how sweet it was. Of all the places I've been to ride and race, this was my first trip to Moab. I brought my Yeti 575 and boy is that bike awesome. Day 1 we rode from our hotel up to the Porcupine Trail and did a giant 31 mile loop. For those who haven't ridden it, it is rock ledges, drops, killer views and sweet descents. After the long climb up - I think it was 9 miles or so from our hotel, you hit the trail head and then climb further via the trail. It's technical climbing, but TOTALLY fun. Then you go through a bit of rollers and then the looooooooong descent starts. The flow on that trail is perfect. We didn't take many pictures because the Yeti was too busy flying. :love: :love: Here is what we did snap.

This is right at the trailhead after we climbed for quite awhile.

The Yeti and I pose before the descent.

That view is amazing.

Derek grinning like he likes this trail or something.

Around every corner there are little fun rock areas like this. None of them are hike-a-bike material...just good clean fun.

This is further towards the end of the trail. I actually made Derek turn around and ride up it so I could get this purdy picture.

This ended up being my favorite ride of the trip. That night as I was sitting in Eddie McStiffs in my Ridemonkey shirt, eating cheese fries and drinking my second pitcher of beer - hey, it's only 3.2 beer in Utah, some guy walks up and says, "Hey I noticed your shirt. I'm on the monkey." Turns out it's Jollytime and he and his wife are on vacation in Moab as well! We trade stories and chat awhile. Small world.

Day 2

For our second day we wanted to maximize riding, so we rode back up to Slickrock and did that trail, rode back to our hotel, and then drove out to Sovereign Trail and did that as well. I could take or leave the slickrock trail. I personally think it's somewhat of a tourist trap type ride. There were people everywhere and I just wasn't feeling much flow on the ride. Don't get me wrong, it's fun for sure, just not my favorite ride.

Here I am representing RM.

Weeeeeee

Again, sorry we didn't take more pics. We get too caught up in the ride.

Soveriegn Trail was DA BOMB. It's not as popular as other rides in the area....yet. It's almost all singletrack if ridden as a 20 mile out and back, or as a loop with a bit of road and fireroad. It started with a steeeep climb for about a mile, and then leveled off and was rolling. The character of the trail is soooo fine. There are a ton of rocks and drops, tricky sections, and short bursts. I fell in love with that trail and would HIGHLY recommend it. That said, I only took a couple picture.:mumble: :rolleyes:

Still sporting my RM jersey.

Derek on a little drop.

Day 3

We met up with some friends for Amasa Back with a little twist of Jackson Trail for the descent. Amasa Back is a great ride with fun little play options if you pick some challenging lines. It climbs gently for I don't know how many miles. The views are, once again, rewarding. Then we turned and came back down and took the Jackson spur which is a more challenging descent with bits of exposures and some really tough sections. We didn't stop for pics on the descent.

Derek powers up.

I was told by the others who had ridden this trail, that it is waaay more mellow than it used to be. Sanitization has occured. Booooo. Way back behind my in the picture, the trail used to be quite treacherous I guess.

Three days of riding, a nice base tan, good times and good people.
Ahhhhhhh.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
sweet! it's fun to see a random photo and know exactly where it was taken. thanks for posting the pictures.

next time, if you want the slickrock experience w/o the crowds, head over to Bartlett.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I love moab. I love porcupine rim. i love your pictures too. Thanks for sharing! All i can think of after i look at them is, "when/how can i get to moab as soon as possible"

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Trainwreck said:
Excellent shots, great views. We are tentatively heading up to Gooseberry Mesa on Memorial Day weekend. Looking forward to seeing some of this!
Nice, I've been to Gooseberry several times and love the trails there. Enjoy and have a blast.

miSSionary

Chimp
Oct 7, 2005
pixelninja said:
Great shots! I'll be in Moab the last weekend of April with my 575. I'm really looking forward to riding Soveriegn.
Soveriegn is SOOO nice, best Singletrack in Moab!!:love:

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
miSSionary said:
Soveriegn is SOOO nice, best Singletrack in Moab!!:love:
interestlying enough, one of the only ones!

There's new singletrack around Klondike bluffs as well. Also, a new route called Blue Buffalo meanders around the Monitor/Merimack area.

Better Slickrock can be had on Tusher canyon left and right.

Glad you had a ball! I'll never forget my first experience going down Porc rim. Its because of Moab, and that trail, got me to step up to a big hit bike that can pedal up hill.

...and if you can get a day guide named "Jimi" from Rim Tours, he'll show you a side of Porcupine Rim you've never witnessed!

tomacdaddy

Monkey
Feb 2, 2005
Minturn, CO
Ascentrek said:
Porc rim. Its because of Moab, and that trail, got me to step up to a big hit bike that can pedal up hill.
RIGHT!
Probably the most fun descent ever. :rofl: I've been stuck on that trail well into the night before...walking out under the brightest stars I have ever seen. Epic to say the least.

Great pics.
I'll be there in a few weeks to do it all over. Can't wait. (Always camp at Fins & Things- good 4x4 trail):rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
Awesome Heidi. Awesome, awesome. I've been back down Amassa both the way you go up, and Jackson. Jackson is def the way to go. Great trail, the best part is the end with the relief of the stream crossing and actual tree coverage. :cool:

miSSionary

Chimp
Oct 7, 2005
Ascentrek said:
interestlying enough, one of the only ones!

There's new singletrack around Klondike bluffs as well. Also, a new route called Blue Buffalo meanders around the Monitor/Merimack area.QUOTE]

Thanks, I'll have to look into these. FYI Porcupine is bad enough as is!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Heidi said:
<snip>
I was told by the others who had ridden this trail, that it is waaay more mellow than it used to be. Sanitization has occured. Booooo. Way back behind my in the picture, the trail used to be quite treacherous I guess.

Yes - that section of AB used to be *really* gnarly. I punctured a thigh on my seatpost bolt trying to ride it way back in '97..... :eek:

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Rockland said:
Awesome Heidi. Awesome, awesome. I've been back down Amassa both the way you go up, and Jackson. Jackson is def the way to go. Great trail, the best part is the end with the relief of the stream crossing and actual tree coverage. :cool:
The stream was waaaay low that we just crossed walking on some little pipe that went across it. No wet feet .

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
It was wheel deep a year ago when I was there. I still tried to ride to the other bank. I caught a stick in the wheel, half way across, and promptly fell over. :rofl:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Heidi said:
Here I am representing RM.
There is a small ledge about 15 feet from there, my friend bob flipped over the bars on it and ended up with a rock in his hand there on monday, there is blood all over the rock... here is a pic...

Im posting my review up soon.

jollytime

King of the Kingdom
Jul 1, 2003
Vermont
Heidi! It was great to meet you at Eddie McStiff's! We had a great time in Moab! The Porcupine Rim was as good as you said it would be. It is funny that the day after you rode it, the snow was gone. I saw the patches in your pics and it was no where to be founds when we rode it the following day!

I have a feeling Mrs. JT and I will be going back to Moab!

Great to meet you!

JT

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
wow great Pics... Manhattanprjkt's stories and your pics (he hasn't shown me any of his pics yet so I am wondering if he even went there) make me want to ditch out on family obligations and get out there ASAP...

PS Manhattan was right... I LOVE THE TEAM COLOR 575... I just ordered it in black ano.... :drool: it should be here on Weds. or Thursday...

thanks for the report...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Rockland said:

Is that porcupine? If so why are you riding the wrong way... What a miserable ride hahahha...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
jollytime said:
Heidi! It was great to meet you at Eddie McStiff's! We had a great time in Moab! The Porcupine Rim was as good as you said it would be. It is funny that the day after you rode it, the snow was gone. I saw the patches in your pics and it was no where to be founds when we rode it the following day!

I have a feeling Mrs. JT and I will be going back to Moab!

Great to meet you!

JT
We had snow the day we rode it, what day did everyone ride (I was there that week) and rode all the same trails you guys did...

Went to eddie's to eat on monday after we rode porcupine...

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
manhattanprjkt83 said:
We had snow the day we rode it, what day did everyone ride (I was there that week) and rode all the same trails you guys did...

Went to eddie's to eat on monday after we rode porcupine...
I rode it Thursday and there was still snow on the sides...none on the trail though really. It was really goopy on one downhill but otherwise very tacky.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
manhattanprjkt83 said:
Is that porcupine? If so why are you riding the wrong way... What a miserable ride hahahha...
It's not Porc. It's the Jackson trail, off of Amassa, brings you back down to Kane Creek rd.