Quantcast

Moab, UT - Advice for first timer?

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
I'm planning a trip to Moab at the end of September, beginning of October. I'm looking for advise on good places to stay (camping), good trails to ride (freeride/all mountain orientated), or other advice.

I'm going with 3-4 others, who all have Freeride bikes. We plan on taking turns driving to get there in one day, roughly.

Thanks.

Mr. Beans

Chimp
Sep 22, 2004
Issaquah, WA
I'm planning a trip to Moab at the end of September, beginning of October. I'm looking for advise on good places to stay (camping), good trails to ride (freeride/all mountain orientated), or other advice.

I'm going with 3-4 others, who all have Freeride bikes. We plan on taking turns driving to get there in one day, roughly.

Thanks.
I just got back a week ago... It was awesome... Anyway, a couple options for camping are Sand Flats Campground. It is right across the road from the Slickrock trailhead. It is like 10 bucks a day per car. The other option is to camp near the trailhead to the Soverign trail. I believe this area is free, but is about 25 minutes out of town.

As for trails... Be sure to do the Whole Enchilada (Burro Pass, Hazzard, Kokepelli, Upper/Lower Porcupine Rim). I recommend shuttling it, unless you enjoy punishment. Call Brian @ Porcupine Shuttle (435)260-0896 and he will take care of getting you set up. Otherwise Bartlett Wash is worth an hour or so of exploring, and while you are in the neighborhood check out Soverign trails. Amasa Back is fun as well, especially if you enjoy techy climbing.

Jake

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Camping up aginst the wall across from Slickrock is nice and central. The campground in town has showers though. We would go in and pay like 5 bucks a pop for one though. Everyone has their favorite eatery in town but the pizza place sucks. Same with shops. We got the best service from Rim Cyclery. Off the main drag and not as "touristy". We used Coyote Shuttle for Porc Rim. Parked the car at the bottom and then loaded the bikes up and went over to Aches in the afternoon for a hike. Sovereign and Bartlett are a good 1-2 punch for doing in one day since thay are outside of town.

You'll be pushing a heavy bike a lot around Moab though. Get the lowest gearing you can fit on it. 22-34 at least. The ups may not be fun but the downs on Moab Rim, Amasa, and Portal will be fun. If you get some rain. hit Poison Spider/Portal for sure! Poison Spider is famous for its sandy sections so save that for the day after a big rain. Jackson's off Amasa for more thrills.