Quantcast

Moab...

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
You guys that've visited the Mecca, do you think a 6-inch FR bike would be decent to ride out there? And I dont mean just the big hit trails, but could I get along on the single track and still have a good time out there on such a rig?

Im trying to hit up a whistler/moab roadtrip for the summer and I need ONE bike for all of it.

How is it down there, trail-wise?

6-inch FR bike would be ideal for Moab. Both slickrock stuff (like Porc, Slickrock, Bartlet's) and the alpine trails in the LaSal mountains. A buddy rides a Banshee Chap with a Z150 and it's the ideal setup for Moab.

A good trail book for Moab is Above and Beyond Slickrock

For Whistler I'd want more travel, but that's just me. I suck, so more squish makes up for my ineptitude. :D

Have fun! When are you planning to be out here (in Utah, that is)?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
SprungShoulders said:
6-inch FR bike would be ideal for Moab. Both slickrock stuff (like Porc, Slickrock, Bartlet's) and the alpine trails in the LaSal mountains. A buddy rides a Banshee Chap with a Z150 and it's the ideal setup for Moab.

A good trail book for Moab is Above and Beyond Slickrock

For Whistler I'd want more travel, but that's just me. I suck, so more squish makes up for my ineptitude. :D

Have fun! When are you planning to be out here (in Utah, that is)?
I dunno, this summer when I have time off I suppose. Im thinking around July 4 weekend and beyond, hitting whistler first, and then moab on the way back. Is going to take some time on the road, for sure, but I think it'll be cool. Im actually thinking about asking on here if anyone would like to make the trip with me, just to split gas and have someone to talk to.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Just get the prophet and call it good, if you break it along the way i'll let you borrow my Bullit for the rides i take you on. :D

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
BurlyShirley said:
You guys that've visited the Mecca, do you think a 6-inch FR bike would be decent to ride out there? And I dont mean just the big hit trails, but could I get along on the single track and still have a good time out there on such a rig?

Im trying to hit up a whistler/moab roadtrip for the summer and I need ONE bike for all of it.

How is it down there, trail-wise?
Everything at Whistler jump wise is rollable....but there are some drops :devil: The lower part of the moutain is smoth and groomed, the upper is more natural and rough.

I'm going to Moab for the first time this sping and I'm so excited I can hardly stand it! :dancing:

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Skookum said:
Just get the prophet and call it good, if you break it along the way i'll let you borrow my Bullit for the rides i take you on. :D
I dont know what to do dude. I like that bike ALOT, but Im afraid its going to limit me in some ways. And so now im thinking that this:

http://www.transitionbikes.com/PrestonFR.cfm

might be the ticket for the all-aroundness Im seeking.

...but then for the price, I see this thing..

http://www.supergo.com/profile.cfm?LPROD_ID=25539&lsubcat_id=7&lcat_id=7604&referpage=

and Im thinking it would do the job for ALOT cheaper with just a couple upgrades. Im so freaking confused. :p

Mtnrider

Monkey
Jul 1, 2001
Littleton, CO
You can get by on a FR bike in Moab but the trails really are cross country trails and a FR bike is a little over kill, unless you want to search out drops and tech stuff. I go at least once a year, Moab is epic!

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Heh! So do I trust guy from CO that says
"You can get by on a FR bike in Moab but the trails really are cross country trails and a FR bike is a little over kill"
Or the guy from SLC that says
" a 6-inch FR bike would be ideal for Moab"
:confused: :p

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
BS, they are both right. i went out w/ a few guys in '01, and there was one guy on a cannondale jekyll w/ headshok (ie, the xc guy), a guy on a chameleon hardtail, two guys on bullits w/ sc forks, and i was on my joker w/ a jr T. it all depends on what trails you are riding. on stuff like flat pass and behind the rocks, the smaller bikes were a better choice. on stuff like hazard county (RIP), porc rim, moab rim and bartlett wash, the bigger bike was ideal. we also did slickrock and amasa back, and they were cool too. i get the feeling that if you want the big drop experience, aside from going to bartletts, you'll have to worm yr way in w/ a local, to find the good stuff. the guide books give you the basic stuff.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Good. As long as I can put in a good ride at both places with ONE bike, than Im happy. As of now, this trip is little more than a pipe dream, but hey, its gotta start somewhere. Somebody needs to volunteer to come along for the trip.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
BurlyShirley said:
Good. As long as I can put in a good ride at both places with ONE bike, than Im happy. As of now, this trip is little more than a pipe dream, but hey, its gotta start somewhere. Somebody needs to volunteer to come along for the trip.
it sounds like any ole coil sprung 5-6 inch travel trail/free-ride bike is gonna do ya....
the difference is in the build is all. Go buy a big hit or somethin and call it good....
All the newer trail bikes this year are seeming to go to a heavier 6 inch travel build.... it really doesn't matter so much on the bike than the person riding. i've seen do gnarl stuff on a Specialized Epic XC bike, it's just a matter of time though. If you buy a heavier trail bike like a 35 to 40 lb'er just make sure you get your fat ass into shape to pedal it.....

badaddis

Chimp
Dec 14, 2004
I took my Giant AC with me to moab over thanksgiving break and it was fine. (6" rear, 6" front, 2 rings up front, about 40 lbs). It was actually great cause it wasnt too big on stuff like slickrock and porc rim, and it was perfect for moab rim.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
yeah man i rode an ASX out there this fall and i had a great time, not ideal for slickrock and soveirgn, but for porcupine rim and portal it would def kill it. here are some pics

badaddis

Chimp
Dec 14, 2004
nice pics :) The third one down....Amasa Back? I've seen a few pictures of people droppin some pretty big stuff on Amasa Back, but i didn't really see anything when I rode it. Granted it was about 35 degrees and raining, so thats not what i was focusing on.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Burly,

I concur that a lightish 6" bike would be prime for Moab. I took my 5" Enduro there a few years back. I also think Whistler is fine for the same bike but if you want to hit the bigger drops you might want more, just put on big DH meats for Whistler and smaller single-wall tires for Moab. I say buy the damn Weyless, that bike is the best deal since sliced bread! I don't even need one but for that price I'm tempted anyway. I just spent more than that wholesale on a 6" travel frame only!!!! I plan to be in Whistler on July 8th-20th so if you go, maybe I'll see you there.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
Just make sure you are carrying the supertanker version of the camelback if you are riding Moab in July. Or, take your lights and ride at night. The daytime is going to be f'n HOT!

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Morryjg said:
Just make sure you are carrying the supertanker version of the camelback if you are riding Moab in July. Or, take your lights and ride at night. The daytime is going to be f'n HOT!
:stupid:
Yeah, the one one time I was there was in early April, and it was already in the mid 80's. I don't think I'd go to Moab in July. Crested Butte maybe, but not Moab.

Hey, FWIW, I took my 42lbs Foes Fly to Moab over Memorial Day this year and no problems. It was a little overkill, but I managed just fine. Personally, I'd gear up towards being dialed in for Whistler and deal with whatever at Moab. IMO, 5"x5" would be pretty ideal for Moab......

Just my $.02

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
isn't crested butte an xc place though, w/ big climbs and smooth trails? not taht i've been there, just going on what a friend who's been has told me.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
badaddis said:
nice pics :) The third one down....Amasa Back? I've seen a few pictures of people droppin some pretty big stuff on Amasa Back, but i didn't really see anything when I rode it. Granted it was about 35 degrees and raining, so thats not what i was focusing on.

Actually that is on porcupine, about 13 miles in (estimate) it was a preceeded by a great DH with alot of smaller drops, god I love that trail.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Morryjg said:
This is a very true statement, I went through my whole camelback 100oz on porcupine rim, granted i am an east coast guy that isnt used to GIANT climbs on a 40lbs bike...Just take alot of water, and ride real early if at all possible. If you plan on hitting slickrock be there when the sun comes up if it is summer, that trail was hot it october :rolleyes:

badaddis

Chimp
Dec 14, 2004
manhattanprjkt83 said:
Actually that is on porcupine, about 13 miles in (estimate) it was a preceeded by a great DH with alot of smaller drops, god I love that trail.
Sweet, Porc Rim is my all time favorite trail. There are some sweet little drops. When I rode it over Thanksgiving, it was just me and 2 other riding buddies, and it was weird cause it was (relatively) warm, I was in shorts and a jersey only, but on a lot of the trail we were riding through snow. Wish I had pictures.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
BS, I did basically the same thing this summer (DC to Whistler, Moab on the way and some other stuff around the country) on my 6" RFX and it was perfect. I felt that 6" was a little short for Whistler, but it did the job and I wouldn't have wanted any more travel for Moab.

As to the heat, not a big deal; we did Porcupine Rim on July 4th and it wasn't a problem; I didn't kick my camelbak during that ride. The old "it's a dry heat" cliche actually holds true, the heat isn't nearly as oppressive as our southeast August days get. Bring sunblock though; I got a rippin' burn b/c I forgot.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
oh, right I forgot about that part Narlus -- we shuttled the road ride from town. The climb on the trail was only a few miles and wasn't a big deal. With that road ride I'm sure I'd have been pretty kicked.