Quantcast

***Moandaze GMT***

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Morning Monkeys.

Vacation is over and I feel meh about the whole deal. I grew up in a 6 kid family where birthdays were recognized, but no parties, or Chuck E Cheese. You got a cake, you picked a place for dinner, and you got a couple presents. Done.

Apparently the wife grew up different and was expecting SOMETHING for her birthday, but she's not even sure what. She admitted that all the shit she did for my 50 was all her, I had asked for literally nothing. So when her 50th came and she chose not to plan anything, it's now my fault it wasn't a big deal or something. But what was I supposed to do? Pack the bedroom with balloons? Get a stripper? Hire the Rockettes to do a kick line in front of the house? Hire a plane to write shit in the sky?

I got nothing.
1708962833101.png

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
work all the things...

@jimmydean sorry to hear your woes of inaction. The devils in the details!

I finished my regularly scheduled work last week and get to twiddle my thumbs this week, or so I thought. I mentioned to someone that I'd prune out fruit trees for spendin cash and now 3 people are asking me if I'll prune out their backyard fruit trees. Jeezus! I didn't sign on for this.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
She can't even tell me what she was expecting. I got her the cupcakes she loves because she prefers them to a cake. I made dinner reservations, I sang happy birthday. We don't usually do gifts because we buy our own shit.

It had snowed a few years back and I made a snow man, that was cool. But she knows I'm not crazy romantic, so it shouldn't be a surprise.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Just talked to the shop. They are going to rebuild the motor and throw the kart into the straightening table as a thank you for letting Seb borrow it for his race. Given a rebuild is usually $800, I'll take that as a win.

We're going to sit down when we gets back to CO and put together an annual cost plan to, because Haley's in deep and I need to get some projection and constraints in place.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Just talked to the shop. They are going to rebuild the motor and throw the kart into the straightening table as a thank you for letting Seb borrow it for his race. Given a rebuild is usually $800, I'll take that as a win.

We're going to sit down when we gets back to CO and put together an annual cost plan to, because Haley's in deep and I need to get some projection and constraints in place.
Prediction WRT "constraints":

:D

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
*Really* old TNF down boots. They are relegated to house-use as there are holes right through the foam soles at this point.

You don't get rich throwing things away that you can duct tape and continue to use. :homer:
Depends on the brand of duck tape. Did you buy the brand name roll that’s about eye level on the shelves and costs $8+ or the roll that has no label and is under the bottom shelf sitting on the floor ?

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Prediction WRT "constraints":

:D
It's reducing the soul crushing...

Greg said that he expects her to be able to be active in the Nationals races (vs. 3/4-lap back by herself) by the end of season. So there is a min. amount that we need to do for training to get her to that point. Accordingly, we have an idea what that minimal cost will be.

Next year, assuming she wants to keep going, will have her moving up a class (Junior Rotax 12-16 and chassis), so we need to plan this year with next on the radar too. Because new chassis, means a new $4,000 spend on top of everything. Hopefully she gets to ripper status to the point that karts cost less too...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Depends on the brand of duck tape. Did you buy the brand name roll that’s about eye level on the shelves and costs $8+ or the roll that has no label and is under the bottom shelf sitting on the floor ?
Jeezus, dude - I just used the duct tape that is in the junk bin at my house. No idea what brand it was or what shelf it came on. :D

<snip> So there is a min. amount that we need to do for training to get her to that point.
This is not the word you're looking for. But I totally get it. :D

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Saw a fairly new looking Tesla with faded paper plates that expired Oct 2022. Dude. Tell me you’re breaking the law without telling me you’re breaking the law.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Morning Monkeys.

Vacation is over and I feel meh about the whole deal. I grew up in a 6 kid family where birthdays were recognized, but no parties, or Chuck E Cheese. You got a cake, you picked a place for dinner, and you got a couple presents. Done.

Apparently the wife grew up different and was expecting SOMETHING for her birthday, but she's not even sure what. She admitted that all the shit she did for my 50 was all her, I had asked for literally nothing. So when her 50th came and she chose not to plan anything, it's now my fault it wasn't a big deal or something. But what was I supposed to do? Pack the bedroom with balloons? Get a stripper? Hire the Rockettes to do a kick line in front of the house? Hire a plane to write shit in the sky?

I got nothing.
Take her to Chuck E Cheese

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
more like the montashu based on the neighborhood and the bumper stickers.
My other favorite license plate shenanigan is when someone scrapes off the reflective white background around the letters/numbers so at night the plate is just a dark rectangle. Nothing suspicious there.
There was a recent report that over 40% of the cars in Oregon have expired tags. They laxed the rules during COVID and folks have just said fuck it, I guess. :rofl:

I have never driven on expired tags or without insurance because I'm a wuss.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
more like the montashu based on the neighborhood and the bumper stickers.
My other favorite license plate shenanigan is when someone scrapes off the reflective white background around the letters/numbers so at night the plate is just a dark rectangle. Nothing suspicious there.
Totally legitimate I'm sure.

These are "popular" around here, completely irony free. The cops seem to do fuck all about it too. Can't wait to get hit by one of these clowns.
1708976975852.png

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Well - experienced a new thing today... headed to Costco for some gas and misc shit for the hut trip. Chad in his shiny BMW drove up to the fairly busy gas station (with the usual one-way Costco configuration), decided that he didn't want to wait in the line that would put him at the pump on his tank-side, and *also* didn't want to pull the hose over his car, so he fuckin' TURNED AROUND and backed his car to an open pump spot.

The attendant came over to have a chat with Chad the Moran. Not sure how it turned out, 'cause I had shit to do. :D

Goddam entitled idiots. :mad:

Last edited:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
did i miss something?
Haley didn't race the national this weekend, but the kart was in PHX still. Her karting bestie (Seb) had motor issues starting Friday and it died on Saturday. They unfortunately weren't able to get it running Saturday night, so I gave them the thumbs-up to use hers as the backup. He ended up placing up a few places, so it was a huge factor.

She also got clobbered, ironically by Seb, while we were down there. We're not sure if the kart is bent, but it's always worth a check. His got hammered and is still somewhat bent. She started using curbs as launching points too, so that doesn't help with their longevity...

Because the shop didn't have any spare motors on-hand (justifiable reason), they were stuck. We helped everybody get unstuck. At the high levels, motors get rebuilt every weekend. It's expensive, so for most people that's not what happens. So win-win. Seb races and Haley's kart gets checked over (and bent if necessary) and her motor rebuilt for free.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Well - experienced a new thing today... headed to Costco for some gas and misc shit for the hut trip. Chad in his shiny BMW drove up to the fairly busy gas station (with the usual one-way Costco configuration), decided that he didn't want to wait in the line that would put him at the pump on his tank-side, and *also* didn't want to pull the hose over his car, so he fuckin' TURNED AROUND and backed his car to an open pump spot.

The attendant came over to have a chat with Chad the Moran. Not sure how it turned out, 'cause I had shit to do. :D

Chad is currently ranting on Truth Social about woke mind virus infecting Costco.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Anyone know what a nice Scalextric setup costs so that if a time machine were around @stoney could go that route instead?

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am

Chad buys $8+ rolls of designer duck tape. Don’t be like Chad.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

A chic tried to pull that on us yesterday. I was pulling to the forward pump when she tried to back in from the exit side. At least she would be facing the right way, but still. There was a line and shit.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
There was a recent report that over 40% of the cars in Oregon have expired tags. They laxed the rules during COVID and folks have just said fuck it, I guess. :rofl:

I have never driven on expired tags or without insurance because I'm a wuss.
The government here cancelled the plate sticker program and the fees associated with registering your car every year.

But a lot of people, including myself at first, didn't read the fine print or pay attention that, yeah, you don't need a sticker for your plate or to pay for it anymore, but you still need to register the plates with the province every year. A lot of people got caught out by that and now its a large(r) fine.

In college I drove for almost 3 years with expired plates. I finally got pulled over for them though. Luckily when I registered them, they didn't make me catch up for the missed years, so the ticket was still less than what I would have paid in sticker fees.

But, now every car on the road has plates with registration stickers from 2020 etc. Even though its completely legal here, people from Ontario have been ticketed by Quebec police for having an expired sticker on the plates. Talk about being a pedantic ass. :disgust:

Totally legitimate I'm sure.

These are "popular" around here, completely irony free. The cops seem to do fuck all about it too. Can't wait to get hit by one of these clowns.
View attachment 208300
Check out this dude in BC, who got pulled over for a similar plate. I can't find the original video, that the dude uploaded to youtube HIMSELF - :rofl: :rofl: - I'm sure he took it down, after a good long thinking.

The original video was something like 30 minutes long. The guy and the cop go back and forth - the cop played it nice and cool though. Though you could tell by the end the cop just had a "FFS I don't have time for this shit..." look on his face. :rofl: