Quantcast

#>>Moanderp GMT<<#

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Second deck contractor just left. Found the center board of the main beam is rotted. Game over. New deck. And... I'm soon to be out somewhere between $40-50k.

I'm going to hunt the fucker that we bought this house from down in North Carolina and kneecap him.
///Deck

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Second deck contractor just left. Found the center board of the main beam is rotted. Game over. New deck. And... I'm soon to be out somewhere between $40-50k.

I'm going to hunt the fucker that we bought this house from down in North Carolina and kneecap him.
so are you going with a Glulam or Paralam support beam system when you replace it?

and me. I would be going after the home inspection service that gave it a clean bill of health...you did use your own inspector and not the sellers didn't you?

Last edited:

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Flat belt driven cordwood saw, moving it into the Conex until new shed is completed.

Shortly after we came up here, a person in Bridport got cut in half - they were using a cordwood saw in -30 °F weather and the blade fractured at the mandrel and soared right through them.
Do you still use that cordwood saw????
:panic:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
so are you going with a Glulam or Paralam support beam system when you replace it?

and me. I would be going after the home inspection service that gave it a clean bill of health...you did use your own inspector and not the sellers didn't you?
We knew there was damage. We just didn't it know it wasn't treated, so it would fail so quickly.

That was clearly evident before you started screwing around with it.

Do you still use that cordwood saw????
:panic:
No, just trying to find a home for it rather than sending it to scrap.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
$47k. Surface all synthetic, railings all steel. He's going to try and use our support structure, assuming it's not beginning to rot and we can't see it. He does incredible work though:
https://www.merakioutdoorliving.com/decks/

More estimates needed for sure.
That’s the number I threw out when you first started your deck thread. Bite the bullet and start from scratch though and get that number defined before work starts. Otherwise you’re going to get a big ((((change order. That whole thing is a turd.

Re # of quotes. If you’ve gotten a similar number from 2 comparable contractors what are you hoping to hear from others? Find somebody you like, who can meet your schedule and get it done.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
That’s the number I threw out when you first started your deck thread. Bite the bullet and start from scratch though and get that number defined before work starts. Otherwise you’re going to get a big ((((change order. That whole thing is a turd.

Re # of quotes. If you’ve gotten a similar number from 2 comparable contractors what are you hoping to hear from others? Find somebody you like, who can meet your schedule and get it done.
I've gotten one rebuild and one repair who somehow missed the main beam rot. I'll be getting 2 more estimates, just for due diligence and to see other people's work, etc. I'm going to bite the bullet, I just don't really want to.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
After the mudroom is done, in two years or so we will get the deck done...which will involve pouring a slab, builing a sweet shed-like structure with power and windows and stuff...then landscaping, and then new siding.
It doesnt end...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
eff contractors.

Our garage/shed was supposed to be complete by August.
Right now it's snowing, the ground is starting to freeze and all we have is a concrete slab...