Quantcast

~%~ Moanderp GMT ~%~

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
In all seriousness, explored Sequoia NP as much as possible yesterday given the extensive winter closures. Those trees were incomprehensibly large, and the Generals Highway was sporty.

Kings Canyon today (again, just the tip as the road into the parks is still closed), then Yosemite tomorrow. Looking forward to it!

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
In all seriousness, explored Sequoia NP as much as possible yesterday given the extensive winter closures. Those trees were incomprehensibly large, and the Generals Highway was sporty.

Kings Canyon today (again, just the tip as the road into the parks is still closed), then Yosemite tomorrow. Looking forward to it!
Shit man, you've should have let me know. My old man used to work there and I grew up in Three Rivers. Know that park like the back of my hand. If the road to Mineral King is open you should really go see it.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
At this point in my life I measure financial windfalls in retiring x days earlier.
A big part of me wants to buy a new bike, but a bigger part of me wants to just save more money so I can stop working sooner. I'd like to be done by 55, but I'm not optimistic because child 2 will need to go to college.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
A big part of me wants to buy a new bike, but a bigger part of me wants to just save more money so I can stop working sooner. I'd like to be done by 55, but I'm not optimistic because child 2 will need to go to college.
or don't buy an all out dentist bike?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Yeah... at this point 55 is looking a bit more unlikely for me. Mainly as the 3rd kid will still be in college.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Bikes (or buying back my Land Cruiser) are but a rounding error to my retirement math, for better or worse.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Buncha fucking dentists... :disgust1: :D
The only big thing that'll materially affect when I'm able to retire is whether we go the mountain condo route or not. I'm favoring renting regularly for a few years and waiting out the next housing crash.

Crash, baby, crash! But not too soon. Got to dispatch some other debts first.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I don't see it as depressing. I am very glad my means currently exceed my needs. I have no need or desire for more stuff so more money means less work.
The depressing part is that it only affects R-day by a few days (hours? minutes?)

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
The amount of e-bikes at trails not really necessitating the use of said e-bikes is getting annoyingly high. No matter the marketing spin, my experience seems to be people really are lazy as F and are really just looking for an easy payoff and not wanting to put in the work. Obviously exceptions, but we are getting literally groups of them mixed in.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
The amount of e-bikes at trails not really necessitating the use of said e-bikes is getting annoyingly high. No matter the marketing spin, my experience seems to be people really are lazy as F and are really just looking for an easy payoff and not wanting to put in the work. Obviously exceptions, but we are getting literally groups of them mixed in.
Where I am at I never see folks on E-Bikes. I am not sure I would be bothered by them. Do they impede your trail progress somehow? I live in a Urban area so my tolerance of others is rather open.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The overtime I worked the last two weeks should be equivalent to retiring two weeks earlier.
What calculation are you using for this? For income per year there's the 4%/Trinity rule, but how are you getting weeks?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Do you ride bikes for fun?

That's the main reason I ride them. And my Pivot Shuttle is fun. (And legal here.)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
What calculation are you using for this? For income per year there's the 4%/Trinity rule, but how are you getting weeks?

Roughly speaking money invested today should double by the time I retire. My retirement $$ needs will be approximately today's salary. So getting what is essentially an extra weeks pay should be roughly worth two weeks of retirement.

Starting to hear feedback from Massachusetts that says that battery bombers are starting to become really annoying...

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Where I am at I never see folks on E-Bikes. I am not sure I would be bothered by them. Do they impede your trail progress somehow? I live in a Urban area so my tolerance of others is rather open.
Do you ride bikes for fun?

That's the main reason I ride them. And my Pivot Shuttle is fun. (And legal here.)
I live in Orange County, CA. So trails can be rather dense user-wise, especially when you mix in most of our stuff is share with both hikers and equestrians. Don't get me wrong, ultimately, I don't really care and pretty firmly in the live and let live camp. We can and do have some clashing of groups, which usually involves everyone hating on bikes, so the only thing that does suck would be getting access restricted for everyone (by everyone, I mean all bikes getting F'd, because we get ganged up on by hikers and horse people). Hikers have sheer numbers and horse people have stupid amounts of money. Mountain biking generally has neither. There are definitely bigger, longer rides, out and away from more people, where even I wouldn't mind trying one out. I rode the trails most local to my house this weekend. Keep in mind, the longest climb there is about 400 ft vertical, maybe over a mile or so. There's a bunch of short hills and it's fun, but seriously an e-bike is most likely overkill.

It's one of the places I started riding and have walked a bunch of those hills when I was crazy out of shape and just starting. It may be semantics, or whatever, but I think it's one of those things that makes you appreciate riding and starting to get in better shape. I'm not opposed to e-bikes, I don't hate them or people riding them. For the majority of things they will never affect me, I just hope it doesn't affect access to one of my most favorite/convenient places to ride. It also goes for a few spots that can be heavy use on weekends that are close for me.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
The overtime I worked the last two weeks should be equivalent to retiring two weeks earlier.
Are you getting close to retiring? The overtime and accrued sick days I carried over before I retired jacked up my monthly pretty substantially as they were payed out in my final year. My last year I had prevailing wage dispute go my way all of which advanced my monthly. I wish I had stayed active another year as guys who stayed got so much overtime it almost doubled their monthly.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Starting to hear feedback from Massachusetts that says that battery bombers are starting to become really annoying...
Not gonna lie, it is mildly annoying grinding a climb and getting passed by some overweight dude at like 15mph because he can't wait 30 seconds for the trail to open.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Are you getting close to retiring? The overtime and accrued sick days I carried over before I retired jacked up my monthly pretty substantially as they were payed out in my final year. My last year I had prevailing wage dispute go my way all of which advanced my monthly. I wish I had stayed active another year as guys who stayed got so much overtime it almost doubled their monthly.
I got 20 years to go. Assuming I maintain my current position I could shave 5 years off that if I save aggressively. Health care is the big unknown but I don't expect to be able to quit before medicare kicks in.