Quantcast

~%~ Moanderp GMT ~%~

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Roughly speaking money invested today should double by the time I retire. My retirement $$ needs will be approximately today's salary. So getting what is essentially an extra weeks pay should be roughly worth two weeks of retirement.
Ok, so assuming 100% draw-down rather than working in the safe withdrawal rate at all. I guess that makes some sense.

I live in Orange County, CA. So trails can be rather dense user-wise
Got it. Yes, California is its whole own can of worms. If I were in California and e-bikes weren't clearly legalized then I'd stay the hell off of one due to the trail access issues. But here it's different.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Ok, so assuming 100% draw-down rather than working in the safe withdrawal rate at all. I guess that makes some sense.

Got it. Yes, California is its whole own can of worms. If I were in California and e-bikes weren't clearly legalized then I'd stay the hell off of one due to the trail access issues. But here it's different.
Well, FWIW, I think it's actually the opposite. I *think* they have been specifically restricted at the places I'm talking about. Again, that goes back to the 'don't care, doesn't personally affect me for the most part' and 'not my job to enforce', but just sort of goes in the lame category of none of these trails are all that difficult to climb and I think people are really missing out of the accomplishment of riding. My ride there the other day was 1.5hrs, 1500' of climbing and 10 miles. And you can easily do less if you're out of shape or all day marathons if you're training or just masochistic.

Edit: well, there you go, decided to not be lazy and look it up. They are actually illegal in the park. I don't really care all that much, but there were a shit ton yesterday.

http://www.ocparks.com/parks/santiago/rules

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Roger that. From the looks of it, all you have to do is earn ~3.5% to double in that time...

Which is basically my mortgage rate and what I consider to be the minimum return on investment. Especially considering paying off the mortgage is a critical point to retiring. In theory I am only 2 years into a 30 year mortgage, but I have already payed off 5 years of it.

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
There are still cactus trailside, right?
That area, not really, other trails there are some. It's mostly open, small shrubs. Actually, right now there's a ton of tall flowers/weeds (obviously not a botanist).

Usually looks like this:

Looks more like this currently from all the rain:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Which is basically my mortgage rate and pretty much what I consider to be the minimum return on investment. Especially considering paying off the mortgage is a critical point to retiring. In theory I am only 2 years into a 30 year mortgage, but I have already payed off 5 years of it.
Yeah - ditching the mortgage is a pretty big part of our plan. Still deciding whether to sell it outright or rent it after the kids are out.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I don't get people who bring ebikes to suburban parks with tapeworm trails, six miles of singletrack squeezed onto four square miles of land.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I got 20 years to go. Assuming I maintain my current position I could shave 5 years off that if I save aggressively. Health care is the big unknown but I don't expect to be able to quit before medicare kicks in.
Yeah I was lazy and took the early route. My contribution to the Teamsters healthcare (which is very good to qualify) has gone up by 28% since 2012. I had almost a half million in liabilities last year. I am very thankful for what I have. Don't skimp and maximize your situation before you take the walk...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yeah - ditching the mortgage is a pretty big part of our plan. Still deciding whether to sell it outright or rent it after the kids are out.

Yeah I could easily sell and move somewhere much much cheaper, but I don't know what the hell the next 10 years is going to bring let alone 20, so for now I just plan on the assumption I stay where I am at. I certainly don't see myself moving into something more expensive.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip> I certainly don't see myself moving into something more expensive.
Hell no... in fact, I would prefer to NOT own a house at all after I retire. Kind of want to wander around different places and live for 6mo at a time. Canadian Rockies seem nice. Spots in Montana are attractive. There's always Italy... maybe spend a summer in Tuscany.

I wonder how the hell medical care works for ex-pats in other countries. It's probably all very civilized. :D

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
I was just thinking about doing some woods wandering and shed (horn) hunting but I think I'll hold off another month and wait for the 'shrooms to start popping up along the riverbank.

@DirtyMike be careful out there...

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/news/environment/teen-attacked-by-bear-near-ennis-escapes-serious-injury/article_043a6512-e76f-5b38-9791-024954fe3aca.html
A bear mauled a teenager who was looking for shed antlers in the southern part of the Madison Valley on Sunday afternoon.

The 17-year-old boy suffered minor injuries, according to a news release from Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks. FWP believes the bear was a grizzly.

The release said the boy was hunting for sheds in the Wolf Creek area on the east side of the valley about 30 miles south of Ennis. His family has a cabin in the area.

He told FWP that he was walking downhill around 2 p.m. when he heard a noise behind him. When he turned around, he saw a bear charging at him. He wasn’t able to deploy bear spray immediately.

The release said the bear briefly pushed him against a tree. When the bear dropped him, the teen tried to crawl between two trees and protect his head. Then the bear pinned him to the ground.

While face-down underneath the bear, he reached over his shoulder and sprayed bear spray, which got the bear to leave. The boy walked out. He was treated for his injuries at the Madison Valley Medical Center.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Crazy few days before heading to Delaware to see family for the weekend. Anybody familiar with the Lewes area? Any good craft beer breweries down there?
all i know about delaware is they nail you three times for tolls.....yes...three times...

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
all i know about delaware is they nail you three times for tolls.....yes...three times...
It's been a few years for me, but at least one of those tolls was avoidable with a short detour:

http://www.triangletrip.com/2009/07/24/avoid-the-delaware-maryland-i95-toll/

There are two tolls on the I-95 in Delaware. One is the Delaware Memorial Bridge connecting New Jersey and Delaware which is unavoidable. The other toll is the Delaware-Maryland state line toll which is easily avoidable. There is a quick and easy detour to avoid the Delaware-Maryland state line toll is $4. Below are southbound and northbound instructions with a highlighted map to help you avoid the unnecessary toll between Delaware to Maryland.

Southbound

If you are traveling on I-95 (JFK Memorial Highway or Delaware Turnpike) southbound to Maryland, you should exit I-95 when you see Route 896 (Exit 1). Take Exit 896 North which is South College Avenue towards the University of Delaware until you see Christina Parkway (University of DE will be to your right). Make a left onto Christina Parkway (west) and stay on for about 1.1 miles. You will come to a dead end which is Elkton Road. Make a left onto Elkton Road and you will see a sign for I-95. Stay on Elkton Road which will take you to I-95 southbound and you have saved yourself $4 in tolls for a 5 minute detour!

Northbound

If you are traveling on I-95 northbound from Maryland to Delware, get off on Exit #109 on I-95 (which is MD-279 Elkton Newark Road to MD-213). Take Elkton Road north/east to you see Christina Parkway, which is two major intersections or about 2 miles. Make a right onto Christina Parkway and look for College Avenue which is the first major intersection. At the stop light of College and Christina, make a right on to College Avenue and you will see signs for I-95 north and south. You have saved yourself another $4 on your return trip!

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
hike yesterday resulted in the 1st sunburn of the year. :bonk:
my favorite bartender once told me i was lying when i told i got sunburned shoveling snow off the tops of dog runs in the middle of winter in colorado...sunny day...snow...sunlight being reflected...

if it was not for her tits and ass i would have given up...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Hell no... in fact, I would prefer to NOT own a house at all after I retire. Kind of want to wander around different places and live for 6mo at a time. Canadian Rockies seem nice. Spots in Montana are attractive. There's always Italy... maybe spend a summer in Tuscany.

I wonder how the hell medical care works for ex-pats in other countries. It's probably all very civilized. :D

There are no homes for rent in Tuscany, or so I hear.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
beers n hoops watching. wife is out of town, kids are in bed. just me and the dogs on the couch. gotta pull for uva, since they employ my wife and gave us both our latest degrees...

Last edited:
Hilarie, in trying to back her car into the garage, managed, in some unknown sequence, to
- Hit one side of the doorway hard enough to split the king stud, push it off the footing, and tear the plywood cladding
- Lower the garage door atop the hood of her car while moving, bending the lower panel of the door
- Do all sorts of damage to the right side and hood of her car.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Hilarie, in trying to back her car into the garage, managed, in some unknown sequence, to
- Hit one side of the doorway hard enough to split the king stud, push it off the footing, and tear the plywood cladding
- Lower the garage door atop the hood of her car while moving, bending the lower panel of the door

Work. Mehh.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Barring a complete collapse of western civilization (always an option under this administration) we should be mortgage free when my daughter is 16, late 2024ish. I'll probably stay employed until she is done with college/otherwise out on her own, but after that ??????

Perhaps full time shed-ery in Salida.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Barring a complete collapse of western civilization (always an option under this administration) we should be mortgage free when my daughter is 16, late 2014ish. I'll probably stay employed until she is done with college/otherwise out on her own, but after that ??????

Perhaps full time shed-ery in Salida.