Quantcast

Mob Vs. Howie

nugget

Monkey
Jul 4, 2006
somewhere near a town
I'm torned between a 22' Mob or a Howie which is 22.25.

I'm not a very big guy so i'm worried the howie will be to big. I'll mostly be riding street some park and jumps.

What do you guys say?

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
i dont think the .25 diff will be HUGE - i think it matters more on a bmx frame.
Mob is more or less mainstream now, while Tonic is tiny scale handbuilt pretty much custom hot rod.

I say Howie all the way.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
i dont think the .25 diff will be HUGE - i think it matters more on a bmx frame.
Mob is more or less mainstream now, while Tonic is tiny scale handbuilt pretty much custom hot rod.

I say Howie all the way.
Agreed. The Mob is a very nice frame, though. They weigh essentially the same, I think the Howie might be a hair lighter. The Howie also costs a bit more, but if you don't mind spending the extra dough, go for the Howie. It's one of sickest dj hardtails out there.

Also, I think as soon as you start going shorter than the Howie on 26s, you're going to start running into tire clearance issues for x-ups and barspins.

nugget

Monkey
Jul 4, 2006
somewhere near a town
Thanks for the feedback.

I'm currently using a 21.5 Mob. I've just sold it to get a new. The 21.5 was awesome for spinning but was always a little short for me 5ft 7in.

They weight about the same.
Does anyone have the geo or price of the howie?

Thanks again.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
hey what’s going on...

I am definitely biased here towards the howie since i own one. I can say it is the cleanest hard tail i have seen out there and I don’t have anything negative to say about the bike. It does what i want it to and am very happy. Dealing w/ tonic fab is also an upside Landon is super attentive to detail and feedback from customers.

The mob is a great bike as well and any dealings I have had with black market have been positive as well...

That said you really can't lose with either, but if you have the cash i dont think there is much question on which bike to get. The howie wins...do a search on my thread i posted a bunch of shots when i built the bike up.

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
basicaly while Mob is a tottaly sweet and neat BMW M3, the Howie is a Ferrari 430 Scuderia - only the lucky few will experience.

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Wow..kind words fellers. Haven't checked in here for a while.

The Mob is a very good bike and comparing the two is inevitable.

The .25" of TT length is very minor considering the way it's measured.

The Howie has a Mid-BB, shorter chainstays (3/8") , and a lower top tube (1"). Which totally sucks for commuting.

The .25" of TT length is very minor considering the way it's measured.

Unfortunately, the Howie is one of the least distinguished production bikes ever. Nobody has ever won anything on a Howie! And the stickers are small, boring, and often asymetrically in their application.

Another problem with the Howie is simply availability. We've got a few left, so if you are at all interested, I'd recommend getting after it. We aren't building Howie's again for a while.

What is "FTW"? F**k the World?

-L

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
I've associated FTW with Frank the Welder - this going back to when he was making stem w/ that logo on the side. Sinister has made shirts that read F***k the Welder in years past.

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
I thought FTW was Elmer Fud saying "For The Wreckored"

You can't go wrong with either bike, both are high quality.

j.les

Monkey
Jul 21, 2007
Chicago
Don't stress about .25". I've owned street bikes with TT's from 21"-23.5". You'll adapt quick.

p.s. if you see a guy on a Harley with a patch or tattoo that says FTW, it means "Forever Two Wheels".

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
wow.

what question

howie hands down wins. quality is unsurpassed, and landon is probably the nicest person in the industry i've dealt with. he'll help you with pretty much anything bike related. iunno bout blkmrkt, but theyre through s&m/blkmrkt/metal/fit/revenge so it' slightly larger company. go with the howie though, tonics are the best frames ever.

DThomson

Monkey
Nov 1, 2004
i have a mob and love it. however, the howie is the dopest **** ever. mob's are totally lame compared to a tonic

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
i have a mob and love it. however, the howie is the dopest **** ever. mob's are totally lame compared to a tonic
How can you say they are lame compared to a tonic? I mean the tonics do look totally amazing, but calling a MOB lame? No way.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
^ mob owner...

I bought my howie in the early winter so it hasnt seen dirt yet but we have been doing a bit of work in the past week or so...got some rain last night for packing so maybe ill get it dirty tomorrow. I bet the mob falls apart in dirt...;)

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
yeah dude...sure thing...just let me know, i hope they are running when you are down though...we are getting rain right now which is what we needed i suspect we will do some packing today after work...

MIGHT get to ride a bit late tomorrow after the sun hits...they are about 2 minutes off of 279 S right on your way into the city...and that is about all the public forum will get...you guys i know will get the hook up though.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
yeah dude...sure thing...just let me know, i hope they are running when you are down though...we are getting rain right now which is what we needed i suspect we will do some packing today after work...

MIGHT get to ride a bit late tomorrow after the sun hits...they are about 2 minutes off of 279 S right on your way into the city...and that is about all the public forum will get...you guys i know will get the hook up though.

WhOot wHOot! RAIN!!! Manhattan, I am runnin on 3.5 hours of sleep, but will most likely stop at the DJ's after work to provide some "lip service"

have the bros started working on the other spot yet? we need to hit that and prep it while the weather is good for diggin!

Leethal where are you from again?

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
Brungeman-- I am from Akron/Canton -ooooHIoooo

WKirk need to get your digits... might be a month or so but we should be coming to the Burg soon..

And I suggest buying a Howie over a Mob, but I think a 24" frame would be even better.. especially a Molly.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Brungeman-- I am from Akron/Canton -ooooHIoooo

WKirk need to get your digits... might be a month or so but we should be coming to the Burg soon..

And I suggest buying a Howie over a Mob, but I think a 24" frame would be even better.. especially a Fall Guy.
:imstupid:

- ill get you the digits, you gonna bring that tatoo'd mess down with you? :)

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Thanks for all the input guys.
I'd really love the howie but sorry Lando. The cost factor played a mega roll.

But I'm getting a 21.75 mob! odd size.

:)
No worries. Cost is always a consideration. Enjoy your bike.

-L