Shoop, shoob be doop....

TLC roxorz your soxorz.....

That was Salt N Pepper dumbass!!

:eviltongu :eviltongu :eviltongu

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Hmmm, would that be the only business the bike shop got? I mean, are they doing internet and an actual shop? Doesn't seem like it could make enough.

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
I raced BMX for many years and it seems like there was always someone with a mobile shop at almost every event. I don't think they made much money. They always seemed to be doing repairs and such for practically nothing. Basically just supporting the riders. They might sell a couple of tubes or a set of pads, but that was about it.
Mountain bike races may be different. I've never been to one, so I don't know.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
stosh said:
I see you are a wise one.....

Salt N Pepper used to be about the only chicks in pop music that I would have considered servicing.

Them and Joan Jett.

:drool: :drool: :drool:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Potroast88 said:
I raced BMX for many years and it seems like there was always someone with a mobile shop at almost every event. I don't think they made much money. They always seemed to be doing repairs and such for practically nothing. Basically just supporting the riders. They might sell a couple of tubes or a set of pads, but that was about it.
Mountain bike races may be different. I've never been to one, so I don't know.
:stupid:

I don't think it would make a ton of money, it would be supplemental at best.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
caputo1989 said:
How many monkeys would like to see a mobile shop at trail parking lots incase of an emergency?

This is for a business project of mine and I need to find the demand for this. :thumb:
The demand is your recreactional rider, not your typical monkey.

There's a mobile shop at Waterton Canyon here... the first six miles is service road strictly for service vehicles, no civilian auto traffic at all, even dirt bikes. So a lot of newbies, families and the like frequent this place during season. After the six miles, there's single track, so you get more experienced riders too.

The guys in the truck seem busy every time I see 'em. They also sell accessories... the doors to the back of the truck are lined with CamelBaks, etc. Seems brilliant to me.

Find the right location and go for it!

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
caputo1989 said:
It is a simple question...
Would you like one or not?
Since these other geniuses can't answer the question I will: yes, at events like 24 hours of Moab I think it would be a cool thing to have around.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
At racing venues I would imagine this would be cool to have. At a trailhead, I can't imagine the demand being very big, nor would I ever really need to buy parts two minutes before I am about to head into the woods.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
caputo1989 said:
This is for a business project of mine and I need to find the demand for this. :thumb:
wait, an actual business or a school project?

Are you trying to get some info/feedback on the concept for such a business or statistics for school? If later, start a poll.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Ridemonkey said:
Since these other geniuses can't answer the question I will: yes, at events like 24 hours of Moab I think it would be a cool thing to have around.
I have neutral race support for road and tri, and no one requested major service, like recabling or BB adjustments. One or two newbs did ask, but they knew that was not our function.

If I had a paid repair service, would people use it? Probably not. Either riders come prepared or someone else would do it for free, if they had the parts.

We did sell a couple of tubes, but it was discourage people from asking us for free tubes.

Would this work at a 24 hour event? Maybe, if teams had enough cash on hand to pay for repair support.

LordOpie said:
The demand is your recreactional rider, not your typical monkey.

There's a mobile shop at Waterton Canyon here... the first six miles is service road strictly for service vehicles, no civilian auto traffic at all, even dirt bikes. So a lot of newbies, families and the like frequent this place during season. After the six miles, there's single track, so you get more experienced riders too.

The guys in the truck seem busy every time I see 'em. They also sell accessories... the doors to the back of the truck are lined with CamelBaks, etc. Seems brilliant to me.

Find the right location and go for it!

I know, that is where I got the idea.

But this is a make belive Buisness Project it wouldent be a reality.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Back in the day there was a guy who had an old ambulance converted to a mobile shop in Connecticut. Called himself the Bike Doctor. It was more of an on-call home service offered by his regular shop.

I think it would be good to have something like that at races. As for recreation, your prof might point out that it could be very tough to get a business license to operate near a popular riding spot. Most trailheads are either in private neighborhoods or protected land.

If you did some kind of combination of bike service, accessory sales, and food concessions it might fly. Personally I like to be prepared before I get to the trailhead and wouldn't have much use for it.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I'll tell you what though, I've got another idea anyone can use so long as I get 5% of gross sales. Start a service that delivers popcorn and other goodies to your movie theatre seat. You could have crew contracted out to the local theatres that walk up and down the aisles like at sports events. I can't tell you how many times I decide to skip the popcorn line only to go sit in my seat for 15 minutes wishing someone would come by and sell me a box of popcorn or something.

There's a niche waiting to be filled, run with it son!! I'm PM you with wire transfer instructions for my royalties. :D

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
caputo1989 said:
It is a school thing. I dont know how to post poll.
ah ha!

Now we're getting somewhere.

First off, a poll sampling on RM wouldn't even be remotely close to representative of the cycling public. RM posters are far more technically savvy than your average rider.

If you're not concerned about accuracy, just make up numbers. If you do want good numbers, go to http://www.bikeforums.net/ and post in the general area with a x-post into the recreation sub-forum asking those peeps to vote... provide link to the actual poll in the general forum.

You'll get more realistic numbers.

expand answers beyond "yes" and "no" to perhaps:
1. I'd use such a service more than going to my LBS (maybe it's cuz they frequent a popular TH)
2. I'd use it only in an emergency.
3. I'd never use it.
4. I don't know (cuz I'm an idiot)(always need the obligatory other)

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
OGRipper said:
I'll tell you what though, I've got another idea anyone can use so long as I get 5% of gross sales. Start a service that delivers popcorn and other goodies to your movie theatre seat. You could have crew contracted out to the local theatres that walk up and down the aisles like at sports events. I can't tell you how many times I decide to skip the popcorn line only to go sit in my seat for 15 minutes wishing someone would come by and sell me a box of popcorn or something.

There's a niche waiting to be filled, run with it son!! I'm PM you with wire transfer instructions for my royalties. :D
The movie theatres in McMenamins Breweries have waiters that come wait on you. You can get beer, pizza, popcorn, tater tots.... I love that place.

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
OGRipper said:

Its bad enough going to the movie with some jackass on his cell phone while his kids scream and now you want some pimple-faced high school kid hawking popcorn and Jujubees as well? I'll wait for the DVD.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Potroast88 said:
Its bad enough going to the movie with some jackass on his cell phone while his kids scream and now you want some pimple-faced high school kid hawking popcorn and Jujubees as well? I'll wait for the DVD.
The jackass on the cell phone is not providing me with a service, and can be told to shut the hell up or thrown out with his kids too. And I'm only talking about before the movie, not during. Who cares what happens before the movie?

Honestly, I'm suprised more theatres don't send kids around selling stuff to people that are just sitting there, too lazy to get up or not interested in waiting in line. At $5 for a ballpark-style box of popcorn they'd kill it.

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
I rarely see another soul when I ride. When the weather is better, I might see a few people, but never enough to warrant a mobile shop. Skateparks or more urban trails might have a better chance at making this idea work. [I've never ridden the big bike tourist spots though.] I think most riders bring the essentials with them via camelbak.

D

d-sop

yea, it might be too much work for little group-rides. but definately at races and stuff.

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
caputo1989 said:
Swwe keep the responses comming. Also how many of you buy off the Internet.
Being how were are on the Internt, I'd say most of us. I'm about 50/50.
Consider this:
My roomate manages a bike shop. I've gone to him on several occasions and said "Dude, the boards are buzzing about procuct X, everyone wants it, you should stock it!." His reply, "People on the internet, buy from the internet". There have been a few times he took my advice, and sure enough ... the product didn't move. Interesting, no?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
BuddhaRoadkill said:
"Dude, the boards are buzzing about procuct X, everyone wants it, you should stock it!." His reply, "People on the internet, buy from the internet". There have been a few times he took my advice, and sure enough ... the product didn't move. Interesting, no?
So he still has those 3.0 tires that you recommended from Pinkbike huh?

:blah:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
If you do a search you will find endless discussions on LBS v. online/mail order.

I do a lot of riding in the SF Bay Area, there are a lot of very popular riding spots. Still, I just don't see the volume to make the mobile shop viable. It would be good advertising as an extension of a traditional shop or maybe on online store, but it seems the mobile unit would be more of a loss-leader than a money-maker.