Quantcast

Mobster vs. Comp16

OK, sorry for the "which tire" question, but I'm wondering what the verdict is between these two as a front tire?

The Mobster seems to be known for its grip when you want to really lean and rail corners. The Comp16s tread seems to be trying to accomplish the same thing so I'm wondering if its comparable.

For the past year I've been running Comp24s, and the front just doesn't cut it when it comes to cornering, even with the inner row of knobs clipped.

Thoughts?

tartosuc

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
montreal
i tried both tires and i like the comp 16 better for an all condition tire...for mostly dry condition the mobster is still an incredible tire!

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
they both suck get some tires at walmart... Is today another holiday or are you posting at work???

Anyways I'd say for loose stuff either mobsters or highrollers. Does it really matter though, whatever you get won't be as good as you imagined. Maybe some hookworms with all the commuting you do you could run 60 psi and have almost no rolling resistance.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
What type of terrain are you riding where ya can't get the comp 24 to grip? Ice skating rinks? Oil refineries?:p :D
I have had good luck with both the comp 24 and and comp 16 on the front. The 24 really hooks up in hardpack conditions (which we have alot of around here), and the comp 16 is better in the loose stuff. No experiences with the Mobbster.

Kornboy,
yes I'm at work. Uh, aren't you? Yeah hookworms would be cool but I don't have two sets of wheels. I'm figuring this time I should go for the 60 durometer for the rear.

Jeremy
Yeah, it's usually been the loose stuff that I wasn't happy with the Comp 24. I just don't feel like I can really lean hard with them. I'm currently in El Paso, TX, and we have a mix of really loose, soft, dusty/sandy terrain and hard, dry, rocky terrain.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I imagine that a Comp16 will last all of one week of shuttling in El Paso. I suggest the Comp 32 for a front if you want a Michelin or a Minion DHF if you want a Maxxis.

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
ive been running a pair of mobsters for about a month. Durability and flat protection is outstanding so is the cornering...you can just lean it over

I'm also surprised the durability of the super tacky compound. the tires have seen a fair amount of pavement but seem to be wearing well

i landed on a small spine of a rock three times the other day
rimmed it all three times off this slow speed roller that i was attempting to drop had about 25 psi in tire
no flats...

But I also rode a freind's bike with the 32's. ..liked them.
they reminded me of the old Michelin Hot S tire except with much improved sidewalls

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Originally posted by nh dude
I'm also surprised the durability of the super tacky compound. the tires have seen a fair amount of pavement but seem to be wearing well
Windrock kills tires. :( A rear Super Tacky is worn out in two days of shuttling at Windrock. Thats all right though, the grip is worth it.