Quantcast

Moddin' a Mac

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Not sure why I'm posting this...I guess I just want to share.

Our home/wife's business computer is a Dual 450mhz GigE machine from 2000. It's been showing it's age especially after loading Tiger and CS2. Looked into and seriously considered getting a 2nd hand or demo G5 machine. Unfortunately, that wasn't in the cards for us. Buying a PC wasn't an option because we already have Mac software (not into "borrowing" off the internets) and our monitor is an Apple monitor with ADC.

This is what I did:

1) Added a 2nd HDD as my wife needs to be more conscious about backing up her work. The original HDD died a couple years back and that was a nightmare because she wasn't burning backup DVDs like she should have been. Now she has 80G primary and 120G backup drives. I guess I could spring for a PCI SATA controller card so we could use drives bigger than 120G. For now though, this will be fine.

2) Doubled the RAM to 1.5G (no brainer).

3) Purchased a NOS ATI Radeon 9000 Pro vid card. The new one is 128MB and we were using the anemic 16MB ATI Rage card before.

4) Coolest mod for last. Bought a new dual 1.3ghz processor card by Powerlogix. The swap was super easy. Major difference! Supa fast! Heat doesn't seem to be a problem. The new card has a fan attached to it so the Mac's a little louder now, but not irritatingly so.

She should be able to use this Mac for at least a couple more years barring any unforeseen problems. This computer has been rock solid for 7 years and I expect it to last for a bit longer yet. If I do any more mods I'll probably have to get a power supply with more wattage. But we don't have any peripherals that need FW800 or USB2.0 so that shouldn't necessary at this time.

Anyway, it's still a dinosaur, just not fossilized yet.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I upgraded my Mac Mini G4 1.5GHz as soon as I took it out of the box. Its much harder than tower case to work on (probably because its not really made to be easily user serviceable). You need two paint scrapers, a jeweler's screwdriver, a good memory, and a careful hand.

I swapped out the 512MB DIMM for a Corsair 1024MB DIMM and the slowa** stock HDD for a 2.5" 7200 RPM enterprise-class blade server HDD.

Afterwards I sold the brand new stock parts on eBay so the upgrade didn't cost me too much.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Depending on how much space is in the case you may be able to do an easy fan swap. Fan swaps are about the fastest, easiest thing you can do to quiet your computer down. A good fan shouldn't be more than $15.

My desktop is very quiet now that the smallest fan in it is a low speed, 92mm fan on the CPU, whereas before small, buzzy fans on the CPU and the GPU combined to make quite a racket. I didn't realize how loud it was until I found out how quiet it could be. Power supply still makes some noise but I can live with that.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Yeah, I'm gonna look into swapping the PCU fan out. An (my wife) mentioned that she's enjoying the new found speed, but the fan noise was buggin' her a bit. There's another one (GPU?) in the case that I'll try to replace too as it makes a buzzing type noise at boot-up.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Excuse the absolutely horrendous quality of the focus on this image, but I was in a hurry before I took it and never re-took it.

I took the old heatsink off a class Pentium, ground down a few edges, drilled a couple holes and attached it to my video card using the stock mounting mechanism and some Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste. Did it for two video cards.

On my overclocked 6600GT, I have a 120mm fan pointed at it running on low and it keeps it plenty cool. In my home theater PC, it's completely passive. Those were, by FAR, the most offensive fans in the case. Tiny and LOUD.