Quantcast

Modeled a Chris King hub

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Alex,
Interesting portfolio. I went to OSU too. I also do a lot of similar projects at my job. However, finding a job in the bike industry is overrated and under paid.
Just curious, on some of your projects, it seems like you used a wire EDM when you could have simply milled the part. Specifically, the weld jig and the die.

Percy

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Christchurch NZ
buildyourown said:
Just curious, on some of your projects, it seems like you used a wire EDM when you could have simply milled the part. Specifically, the weld jig and the die.
But wire EDM is sooo cool! :thumb:

Why wouldnt you, if you could?! :D

alexchannell

Chimp
Jul 23, 2005
Welding jig: needed 0.0002 tolerance...not that easy with the mill, plus needed a good way to cut the two halves apart
Press die: the material was tool steel and quite thick (2+inches If I remember) there would have been way too much tool flex if I used one with a small enough diameter for the corners yet long enough to get to the bottom.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
nice job. so does that have all the measurements. could i make my own. if i had all the machining tools and such?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
alexchannell said:
Welding jig: needed 0.0002 tolerance...not that easy with the mill, plus needed a good way to cut the two halves apart
Press die: the material was tool steel and quite thick (2+inches If I remember) there would have been way too much tool flex if I used one with a small enough diameter for the corners yet long enough to get to the bottom.

EDM is cool, but it's slow and expensive if you have to send it out. Most places won't have one.
We use lots of tiny tools here at my job. You'd be surprised what you can make a .035 endmill do at 12000 rpm.

alexchannell

Chimp
Jul 23, 2005
buildyourown said:
EDM is cool, but it's slow and expensive if you have to send it out. Most places won't have one.
We use lots of tiny tools here at my job. You'd be surprised what you can make a .035 endmill do at 12000 rpm.
I know it, thankfully we have our own. Using tiny endmills is always a fun adventure, but if cutting something harder than aluminum...tools of that size don't last that long, so instead of worrying about replacing a dull/broken tool, I choose the EDM :)

alexchannell

Chimp
Jul 23, 2005
DHS said:
nice job. so does that have all the measurements. could i make my own. if i had all the machining tools and such?
You could, although not all the data is availible from the drawing picture, you really need the model file.