Quantcast

Modern Coil Sprung Dual Crown Options?

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
I've haven't really been keeping up with DH fork options for a few years.

Since there are quite a few single crown coil sprung options currently available, I assumed coil sprung dual crowns were still a thing. Evidently not. The only off the shelf option I can find is the Formula Nero C, and I can't find any reviews or additional info on that one.

Without resorting to piecing together old coil compatible Fox 40 parts, are there any other (newish) coil sprung dual crown options I'm overlooking? Coil conversion kits would be fine too. The Avalanche Boxxer kit looks a bit overdone for what I need.

This is going on a dedicated 180mm 27.5 beater park bike, so a dual crown is preferrable to a single crown for durability purposes.

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
X-Fusion RV-1 HLR is coil, 27.5 only. that's the only other one i can turn up. everyone else has gone to air.
Forgot about X-Fusion- I've had mixed luck with them in the past. It looks like Ebay is the only place to find that fork these days, I guess they are falling off the radar?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
if you're open to used......

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
Formula Nero C
but buy plenty of spares at time of purchase if you decide to go that route.
That's my concern. Don't want to end up with something totally unsupported in a few years.

Have you heard anything about the ride quality of that fork?

The RST Killah comes in coil....

....you asked the question.....
I did ask the question, and that one technically checks all the boxes ...

if you're open to used......

Used is an option, though the fork I'm replacing is a used one that ended up having more issues than met the eye. I'm aiming to not buy another set of headaches.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
The Fox 40 Performance Elite up to I think 2017 was coil. Might not be too bad to source parts.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
You might be able to get a Smashpot into a Boxxer reduced to 180mm. Easy enough to ask Steve. I asked him about a Smashpot for the Boxxer in general and he said it wouldn't be hard for him to make the kit, the question is whether there is enough demand.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Kinda surprised the MRP Bartlett isn't offered in a coil since they have a coil Ribbon. Not a dedicated DH fork per se, but a coil would be a nice option IMO. Anyway, this is why I'm still clinging to my 2015 coil Boxxer Team. Literally the best fork I've ever owned...just wish I had gotten the 27.5 version.

Last edited:

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
I think that version was oem only but I believe the current dampers are still compatible with that chassis
Can't speak to current dampers, but I had no issues swapping in a RC2. Mainly suggested that as an option for finding parts from a semi-recent fork, although I don't know how many are still available from Fox.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
Doesn't Avalanche offer his coil on the damper side, for the boxxer? Still uses the air spring to tune for more spring rate.

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
Kinda surprised the MRP Bartlett isn't offered in a coil since they have a coil Ribbon. Not a dedicated DH fork per se, but a coil would be a nice option IMO. Anyway, this is why I'm still clinging to my 2015 coil Boxxer Team. Literally the best fork I've ever owned...just wish I had gotten the 27.5 version.
I thought for sure the Bartlett would have a coil option, it would make perfect sense and be the right fit for this bike. Oh well.

Can't speak to current dampers, but I had no issues swapping in a RC2. Mainly suggested that as an option for finding parts from a semi-recent fork, although I don't know how many are still available from Fox.
That's good to know, I'm less of tinkerer than many on here but it's good to have backup options.

Doesn't Avalanche offer his coil on the damper side, for the boxxer? Still uses the air spring to tune for more spring rate.
I only found the dual spring/damper conversion for $400, which might still work. Although I have a fair bit of difficulty navigating the Avalanche website, so there are probably lots of things I missed.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
I thought for sure the Bartlett would have a coil option, it would make perfect sense and be the right fit for this bike. Oh well.

That's good to know, I'm less of tinkerer than many on here but it's good to have backup options.

I only found the dual spring/damper conversion for $400, which might still work. Although I have a fair bit of difficulty navigating the Avalanche website, so there are probably lots of things I missed.
There are still some new old version Boxxer Teams available in Europe, so that might be a good option for you. The chassis is legit, sourcing different spring rates should be no problem and it's black. At bike-components available for around 700€uroDollars.
In terms of damping you can go with the stock Charger or put an AVA-cartridge in it for 100$ and have a top fork for under 1000$.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
If I had that kind of money, I would go for this one:
dfe23767751029f94b888891c98c6dad.jpg

Coil, open bath, stiffness should be ok since it's single crown version is stiffer than a 36. The bushings are mounted so that the distance between them increases when you compress the fork. See here http://www.crconception.com/gallery_gen/1aaecc8a3f353f1160b02b6870dc9ffd_anim.gif

It's a small brand but I have yet to find find somebody unhappy with his stuff. FWIW

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Coil, open bath, stiffness should be ok since it's single crown version is stiffer than a 36. The bushings are mounted so that the distance between them increases when you compress the fork. See here http://www.crconception.com/gallery_gen/1aaecc8a3f353f1160b02b6870dc9ffd_anim.gif

It's a small brand but I have yet to find find somebody unhappy with his stuff. FWIW
That sounds like dynamic bushings, nothing new, Marzocchi did it with the shiver. If it's "stiffer" than a 36 in torsion, I'd be surprised. What did they figure out that no one else has to date?

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
There are still some new old version Boxxer Teams available in Europe, so that might be a good option for you. The chassis is legit, sourcing different spring rates should be no problem and it's black. At bike-components available for around 700€uroDollars.
In terms of damping you can go with the stock Charger or put an AVA-cartridge in it for 100$ and have a top fork for under 1000$.
Avalanche'd Boxxer Team might be the best bet. Where are you finding AVA carts for $100 though? I priced one last night on his site and it was ~$500.

Looks cool, price is up there though.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
the 36 is one of the more noodly long travel single crown forks around. in it's case, bigger is not better. not sure why people perceive it a stiff fork....
I have switched between a 36 and a Yari when I had my Troy, everything else was equal. It was actually difficult to say which one was the stiffest by feel. Both appeared quite similar... it is actually quite difficult do differentiate stiffness when you have different spring curves, damping curves and levels of friction... my guess is that low stiffness will feel quite ok as long as it doesn't implies too much binding and as long as the flexing back is somehow well damped / controlled

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Avalanche'd Boxxer Team might be the best bet. Where are you finding AVA carts for $100 though? I priced one last night on his site and it was ~$500.
Sorry, my bad. For 100 bucks you get it installed at Avalanche.:s
Anyway, an old Team or even an old RC Boxxer are a solid choice. are you in Europe? There are a few other cartridges available for the Boxxer from MST suspension or Fast.

Loki87

Monkey
Aug 24, 2008
Salzburg, Austria
Sorry, my bad. For 100 bucks you get it installed at Avalanche.:s
Anyway, an old Team or even an old RC Boxxer are a solid choice. are you in Europe? There are a few other cartridges available for the Boxxer from MST suspension or Fast.
The MST cartridge in a coil Boxxer makes for an excellent fork. It´s also rather inexpensive. It does however heavily rely on spring rate compared to the FAST upgraded Charger i have in mine, which seems to utilize a lot more base HSC damping. The MST is an absolute dream through the breaking bumps and while smashing out a lot of park laps though.

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
The MST cartridge in a coil Boxxer makes for an excellent fork. It´s also rather inexpensive. It does however heavily rely on spring rate compared to the FAST upgraded Charger i have in mine, which seems to utilize a lot more base HSC damping. The MST is an absolute dream through the breaking bumps and while smashing out a lot of park laps though.
Thanks for mentioning these, I had no idea they existed. That MST cartridge looks particularly interesting, especially since it's roughly half the cost of an AVA.

I'm in the US, wonder if they ship over here? Will have to email them next week.

Loki87

Monkey
Aug 24, 2008
Salzburg, Austria
If you can get one, the MST is totally worth it. My riding buddy has one and i´ve ridden it side by side with my FAST CHarger a few times. We´re also the same weight and height and i can confidently say i´d happily ride either one of them. I have yet to experience a better fork.
Also servicing the MST is a breeze, and even though i really like my Charger, i kinda wish i could just easily swap the oil like on the MST.
The guy running MST is a little bit lazy though. If he doesn´t get back to you via email, don´t hesitate to spam him via facebook or call him.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
the FAST upgraded Charger i have in mine, which seems to utilize a lot more base HSC damping
I have a Fast compression unit on my Yari which also came with too much HSC due to me feeling like a pro when ordering :D
Apparently with AVA you have to really exaggerate your level to get something decent, with Fast you get what you ask for so don't be too overconfident! ;)

Loki87

Monkey
Aug 24, 2008
Salzburg, Austria
I have a Fast compression unit on my Yari which also came with too much HSC due to me feeling like a pro when ordering :D
Apparently with AVA you have to really exaggerate your level to get something decent, with Fast you get what you ask for so don't be too overconfident! ;)
Yeah, it's not too much, just more than on the MST and something I especially noticed on back to back runs on the two otherwise identical forks.
I still wind in compression on mine about a quarter of the adjuster range, so it's absolutely within usable range, just the baseline is still noticeably higher. I think I went for the "Racer" setup instead of "Pro", which appears to have been the correct decision.

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
If you can get one, the MST is totally worth it. My riding buddy has one and i´ve ridden it side by side with my FAST CHarger a few times. We´re also the same weight and height and i can confidently say i´d happily ride either one of them. I have yet to experience a better fork.
Also servicing the MST is a breeze, and even though i really like my Charger, i kinda wish i could just easily swap the oil like on the MST.
The guy running MST is a little bit lazy though. If he doesn´t get back to you via email, don´t hesitate to spam him via facebook or call him.
Looks like the MST is a no-go for those of us in the US. Just heard back from the dude that he doesn't ship over here- bummer.

It's looking like AVA time. Or possible Ohlins drop in TTX18 damper? Though it's more expensive and not custom tuned, so not especially attractive.

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
Wanted to update this thread with potentially useful info for those in a similar situation:

I ended up buying a lightly used Formula Nero C off PB. This fork is fantastic- extremely low stiction, really irons out bikepark chatter, easy to tune, and has a nice ramp up for a coil fork. Pretty much perfect for what I needed.

It also apparently uses the same seals/oil as the Selva, so I'm not too worried about spare parts for routine maintenance. Formula distributors in the US seem to be lacking, but there's a very helpful one up in Whistler that has good access to parts/etc.

One minor issue I ran into (could also be caused by questionable mechanic skills): there is no service manual for this fork. I emailed Formula and the distro but came up empty handed. The latter gave me oil volumes and type, so I went about it like any other seal swap/lower leg service. And consequently had my lower damper rod partially separate from the lowers at the bike park and spray oil everywhere. It turns out the spring/damper shafts are not press fit into the lowers like normal, but are keyed/slotted to fit a certain way (I obviously overlooked this detail). You basically have to align the slots before sliding the lowers on and hope nothing rotates while you snug things up. You are also supposed to use threadlocker on the foot bolts (This is all info I gleaned from the Selva service manual after the fact). Luckily nothing was damaged, so just a lesson learned the hard way.