Quantcast

Modern equivalent to Mavic EX823?

crashmtb

Chimp
Dec 14, 2020
Long time listener, first time caller here...

is there a modern(I.e. wider, 27.5”) equivalent to Mavic’s EX823?

I am scheming up a new bike for next year, and it’s been 10 years since I’ve had a new double boinger
have had 823s on Hadley hubs since 2005 on my last couple of bikes, they have been pretty great. But it’s imposible to get actual tubeless tires, and getting annoying to find 26”... so I obviously need a new bike.

oh yeah, another thing. When will fork mfgs innovate 20mm axles back on to single crown forks??

crashmtb

Chimp
Dec 14, 2020
Those things are tanks.

Pretty much any modern heavier duty rim is going to be both wider and tubeless compatible, and likely lighter. This a pedal bike or a dh bike?
Pedally allrounder bike. I live in Manitoba, but there are semi-biannual BC. trips in the mix.
Also I’m a hack and crash a lot. Sturdy is good and I don’t care about weight much.

my supply of UST tires is done, unless there’s still some being made... really like not having to use sealant just to get a tire to hold air. And no rim tape, but since UST is totally dead that’s a foregone conclusion.

I’ve been eying the WTB KOM Tough, various DT rims...

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
agree with @kidwoo those are good. i've been happy with ex471s on my all-rounder for years too. your riding style sounds like mine. i'd also really recommend doubledown casing if you run maxxis tires.

crashmtb

Chimp
Dec 14, 2020
Buy these and a 6 dollar tubeless rim strip.

Or can just use gorilla tape. @rideit can tell you how to set it up.

You don't need a UST tires these days. Tubless, tubeless ready, 2bliss, all that shit works.
I have to redo tape on a tubeless rim on my hardtail(leaking at a spoke hole?!), man I hate sealant...
I do need a UST tire for a UST rim, but there aren't any more so I need a new bike! (is what I am telling my wife).

Wanna buy a carbon wheel?
Crabon too expensive. And it's crabon. Which I only use for critical weight reduction, like headset spacers on a ~35lb bike.
agree with @kidwoo those are good. i've been happy with ex471s on my all-rounder for years too. your riding style sounds like mine. i'd also really recommend doubledown casing if you run maxxis tires.
Good to know, I will probably do DT.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Pedal am light
Hx 481 front (30mm) or Hx 521 front (35mm)
Hx 421 Rear (25mm) Or Hx 481 Rear (30mm)

Moar dent resistance...
All rounder
Hx 481 front (30mm) or Hx521 front (35mm)
Ex471 rear (25mm) or ex511 rear (30mm)
Or

Even Moar dent resistance
Enduro shuttle/dh
Ex511 front (30mm)
Ex 471 rear (25mm) or ex511 rear (30mm)

Most dent resistance
Dh, and more dh pros actually run the Ex series
Fr560

crashmtb

Chimp
Dec 14, 2020
Pedal am light
Hx 481 front (30mm) or Hx 521 front (35mm)
Hx 421 Rear (25mm) Or Hx 481 Rear (30mm)

Moar dent resistance...
All rounder
Hx 481 front (30mm) or Hx521 front (35mm)
Ex471 rear (25mm) or ex511 rear (30mm)
Or

Even Moar dent resistance
Enduro shuttle/dh
Ex511 front (30mm)
Ex 471 rear (25mm) or ex511 rear (30mm)

Most dent resistance
Dh, and more dh pros actually run the Ex series
Fr560
i think 471/511 combo seems like a winner.

Whats the riding like out there, river valleys and such? I guess you aren't too far from Thunder Bay, which looks like a pretty cool riding spot.
pretty much, yeah. Some fun glacial leftovers.
Don’t have to go as far as Thunder Bay, there’s some neat stuff around the MB/ON border. Lots of exposed Canadian Shield.

Riding Mountain National Park has some good trails, probably my primary destination apart from monkey trails in town.

current full sus bike is overkill, but is lots of fun and will do anything. A shame it’s now unrideable what with the small wheels.
IMG_2555-2.jpg by crashmtb, on Flickr

you can have two ex823s for the price of a box and shipping.

otherwise, near any new rim with rim tape will seal great.
I already have two sets, otherwise I’d be all up ons. Good to have spares!

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i think 471/511 combo seems like a winner.

pretty much, yeah. Some fun glacial leftovers.
Don’t have to go as far as Thunder Bay, there’s some neat stuff around the MB/ON border. Lots of exposed Canadian Shield.

Riding Mountain National Park has some good trails, probably my primary destination apart from monkey trails in town.

current full sus bike is overkill, but is lots of fun and will do anything. A shame it’s now unrideable what with the small wheels.
IMG_2555-2.jpg by crashmtb, on Flickr

I already have two sets, otherwise I’d be all up ons. Good to have spares!
awwww...that looks familiar! rode mine for maybe 8 years as my "one" bike until the g3 dropouts got messed up and I couldn't source a replacement easily. loved that bike.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
awwww...that looks familiar! rode mine for maybe 8 years as my "one" bike until the g3 dropouts got messed up and I couldn't source a replacement easily. loved that bike.
The next to this and last 26" generation Uzzi has to be my favorite FR/enduro bike.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
I have a set of the 570
The 570 was 27.5mm internal
The 560 is 30mm internal