Quantcast

Modern full face helmets

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I don't think we disagree. My comments were reactions to norbar, who wanted "...an apples to apples comparison of DH and Enduro helmets." Tests are an apples to apples comparison and Woo telling us a story of his concussion in a Fox helmet and no concussion in a Troy Lee is not.
Yes, I own the Proframe, no, I do not use it for pure DH riding. To me it is a trail helmet with a little more protection because it covers more of the back and sides of the head. If helmets like the Dropframe would have existed at the time I bought it, I most likely would have gotten one of those instead. The chin guard is a bonus, not the main feature why I bought it.
But my question wasn't "do enduro helmet pass some minimum requirement". My question was how big is the difference. You know why I asked this question. I want to know if an Enduro helmet is safe for my needs and you seem to not answer that question instead focusing on an arbitrary theshold that doesn't mean I'm safe. That helmet certification tells me as much as being in the NBA tells me about player skill. Yeah all NBA players are skilled but I'd not say Briana Scalabrine and Kobe are on the same skill level.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
That leatt has the chin strap riveted into the same whole lower helmet piece that the chinbar is. Looks like a better setup than both the stage and proframe where the chinstrap is working against a different, pinned on/glued on structural piece.

Not very scientific but I had a look at them in the lbs at the bikepark where I destroyed my no longer 100% helmet and they looked nowhere DH worthy in terms of padding and everything inside the shell but I'm also used to a lot of padding

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
My condolences.

My reason for bringing up the rampage was the shit construction, not the bell ringer.

I've hit my head a lot. From severely to lightly and everything in between. I have a pretty good basis for comparisons of slams where I would have expected a concussion, and ones where there's no way I would expect one. It's still a data point far more valuable than "we never crashed in the XXXXXX but we're confident it would offer good protection"

So when I have a top of the line mips fox helmet and can far more favorably report back on non-mips era helmets that lasted longer, took harder slams (like WAY harder) that didn't result in the same injury, you should be able to recognize there might be some value in that. I'll make a sticker for it so you give it creedence. Because at the end of the day I'm comparing instances which happened under actual riding conditions, where it matters.

In over 20 years of riding dh, there's only one dh intended helmet I used for a few months and then replaced it. That one. I've since looked at a lot of newer ones because I can get them for almost free. I have yet to see anything that looks like vast improvements. To me that's more valuable info that some industry designed, industry serving test that you never get to see the real results of.
what’s your opinion on the 7idp project 23 carbon?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
nsmb liked it, but no rl experience so far. need to try a helmet as most won’t fit. bell fit me good but they only have lighter ones with detachable chin guard.
Isn't it illegal to try anything in germany without buying an e-bike? Wanted to buy a road bike tube in Bavaria and I had to visit 5 shops to even find 1 that was not an e-bike showroom.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
what’s your opinion on the 7idp project 23 carbon?
I've never even seen a 7idp helmet in person that I know of.

Looks kind of endurpy from the pics. At least it's one solid piece.

Many years ago I tested for vital the first of these lighter "dh capable, endurpo friendly" helmets that ixs. made. I broke the thing. And it was beefier than a lot of the designs like that 7idp looks to be.

For reference I've cracked exactly one xc helmet, that ixs crossover helmet.....and nothing else. So for the kind of money those things cost, I still just stand by the idea that if you think you need a fullface, buy a good, stout one made for dh. Everyone knows trailbike riding is just as fast as dh riding in a lot of cases. I've never gone full bruni speed on a dh bike I'm pretty sure but certainly fast enough to fuck things up. I don't really ride any differently on my trail bike.

Last edited:

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
This is sort of related. I was talking to a guy at Shoei about 6 years back. He said the main difference between an MTB and MX helmet at that time was the lower speed impacts their helmets were really not designed for more stuff above say 15+ mph. It had something to do with the density of the foam if I recall.....
Yes the early MX helmet from like 6 to 10+ years ago they where not ment for slow speed impacts more like high speed impacts, EPS foam of MX helmet are in general way thicker than found on a MTB helmet.The modern MX helmet they are now rated to work also on slow speed impacts & most have dual desinity foams or what Bell does is having 3 types of density foams for slow,mid & higher speed impacts.